Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 1061
Default What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Well? Which is it?
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,304
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Definitely Marciano's 49-0, but Tyson's 36-0 does not entirely do justice to his resume.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

How can you say no to 49-0?....besides....Tyson couldn't have taken the beating that The Rock received from Joe Walcott in 1952 and then come back to win the title...nor could Tyson have had his nose split open DOWN TO THE BONE as Marciano did in his 2nd fight with Ezzard Charles..and then on the brink of a stoppage..storm back with a KO and keep the crown!!!
RockyJim is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

The 49-0..it's the ultimate record...it's an golden sports achievement. And RockyJim is right...Tyson wasn't impervious to pain like Marciano..in my opinion, where Rocky sewed it up in as far as greatness is concerned are those two fights mentioned...the first Walcott fight and the rematch with Charles....Ezz would have won the title back..would have been the first if he were fighting anyone else but Marciano...and that was some hideous war wound, that nose, and how Marciano turned it on in the very next round...it was superhuman will that won that fight..puts him in a class above Tyson.
'Scuse all those"......"'s, it's almost like a telegram.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Marciano didnt turn that fight around, he beat Charles down from round 1, right up to round 8. In fact, Charles won 1 MERE round on all 3 scorecards. That fight was not even close.

Outside of the cut, Rocky control the fight. Today Rocky might have won on a 8 round T dec. The foul blow was a elbow that open the cut.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,659
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Tyson by a mile ... anyone think Rocky goes 36 - 0 in that time frame v.s. that group ? No way ..
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,894
vCash: 75
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJim View Post
How can you say no to 49-0?....besides....Tyson couldn't have taken the beating that The Rock received from Joe Walcott in 1952 and then come back to win the title...nor could Tyson have had his nose split open DOWN TO THE BONE as Marciano did in his 2nd fight with Ezzard Charles..and then on the brink of a stoppage..storm back with a KO and keep the crown!!!
To be fair, Tyson would probably have steamrolled Rocky's opposition.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,716
vCash: 258
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

I have a feeling if Marciano got dominated and stopped by a considerably odds-underdog journeyman during the middle of his title reign people wouldn't overlook it so carelessly. Tyson also dropped the ball and was humilated in what was set up to be his great legacy win against a faded Holyfield who was given little chance for good reason. Marciano gets crap for beating an Archie Moore who had like 50+ wins and one loss in a six year period and had just cleaned out the heavyweight and light heavyweight top 10.

If you must micro-magnify Tyson's career, Maricano still has an edge so it doesn't even matter. This is coming from somebody who feels Tyson has a strong underrated resume as Champion and I won't belittle his achievements to prove a point. And I could care less about the "0", you can count Marciano's early disputed decisions over LaStarza and Tiger Ted as losses and it still doesn't drag his legacy down in my eyes, his strengths are in his wins and performances and the favorable context of them.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 12-21-2009 at 09:39 AM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 1230
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Although I believe Tyson had a far more impressive reign, 49-0 ultimately stands out more. Considering that it has not been equated since it has to have the edge.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Danny
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure Tyson got to 37-0? After the victory over Carl Williams, Tyson was 37-0. I'm sure he was!

Anyway, to the original post. Rocky's 49-0 will be there forever & has been talked about for decades & will continue to be talked about. I do not see anyone equalling that record, let alone surpassing it.

However, I do not think Marciano would have acquired the same record had he fought the same opposition as Tyson.
Danny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
To be fair, Tyson would probably have steamrolled Rocky's opposition.
If Tyson couldn't steamroll the Cruiserweight Evander Holyfield. It's hard to say if he would do the same to the lighter, Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore or Jersey Joe Walcott.
la-califa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Then again, Tyson did blast Michael Spinks!
la-califa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
However, I do not think Marciano would have acquired the same record had he fought the same opposition as Tyson.
And who would be beating him? Bonecrusher Smith?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
I have a feeling if Marciano got dominated and stopped by a considerably odds-underdog journeyman during the middle of his title reign people wouldn't overlook it so carelessly. Tyson also dropped the ball and was humilated in what was set up to be his great legacy win against a faded Holyfield who was given little chance for good reason. Marciano gets crap for beating an Archie Moore who had like 50+ wins and one loss in a six year period and had just cleaned out the heavyweight and light heavyweight top 10.

If you must micro-magnify Tyson's career, Maricano still has an edge so it doesn't even matter. This is coming from somebody who feels Tyson has a strong underrated resume as Champion and I won't belittle his achievements to prove a point. And I could care less about the "0", you can count Marciano's early disputed decisions over LaStarza and Tiger Ted as losses and it still doesn't drag his legacy down in my eyes, his strengths are in his wins and performances and the favorable context of them.

Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What's More Impressive, Tyson's 36-0 or Marciano's 49-0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
The 49-0..it's the ultimate record...it's an golden sports achievement. And RockyJim is right...Tyson wasn't impervious to pain like Marciano..in my opinion, where Rocky sewed it up in as far as greatness is concerned are those two fights mentioned...the first Walcott fight and the rematch with Charles....Ezz would have won the title back..would have been the first if he were fighting anyone else but Marciano...and that was some hideous war wound, that nose, and how Marciano turned it on in the very next round...it was superhuman will that won that fight..puts him in a class above Tyson.
'Scuse all those"......"'s, it's almost like a telegram.

In a nutshell
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013