Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-05-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
cm_boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Advice/Critique on my sparring?? (video)

Hello ESB, i've been going to the gym for three months and have recently started sparring. Here is a video of my 3rd spar. Tell me what you think. Any advice will be appreciated.

Round 1:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Round 2:

Round 3:

I am the guy in black with blue gloves.
cm_boxing is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
suckay singh
Journeyman

Default Re: Advice/Critique on my sparring?? (video)

how old are you and what weight are you if you dont mind me asking?
suckay singh is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
aj415
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1181

At 1:31 some old guy tells your partner "Time! You not supposed to punch!"

aj415 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

You're not working on the inside, the guy has longer reach than you so YOU need to be putting him on the ropes.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Ya dude push forward all the time or your losing to a reach advantage. Hit the body first with combos finishing high to the head. Try to stay inside his range at all times. Look good tho.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
cm_boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckay singh View Post
how old are you and what weight are you if you dont mind me asking?

I am 22 years old, 145 pounds, 5 feet 6 inches.

The reason some guy went "your not supposed to punch" was because he was supposed to be practicing defense, but since the spar already started they just let it go.

The old guy wasnt my trainer, he was the tall guy's trainer. My trainer was the guy saying "Chavez! Chavez!" off camera.

Left hook high and left hook low sounds good, as well as pushing forward. Thanks for the advice, keep em coming.

I'm also gonna try not following him in straight lines all the time but its harder than it sounds..
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Your been overmatched in sparring.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_boxing View Post
I am 22 years old, 145 pounds, 5 feet 6 inches.

The reason some guy went "your not supposed to punch" was because he was supposed to be practicing defense, but since the spar already started they just let it go.

The old guy wasnt my trainer, he was the tall guy's trainer. My trainer was the guy saying "Chavez! Chavez!" off camera.

Left hook high and left hook low sounds good, as well as pushing forward. Thanks for the advice, keep em coming.

I'm also gonna try not following him in straight lines all the time but its harder than it sounds..
You shouldn't really worry about this though, the first few sparring sessions are a learning experience. It gives you a taste and an idea of what to expect.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
kasper4040

I myself have just started boxing not to long ago. I Have always loved it and studied it so I will just tell you what I see (maybe it is a little more help then talkin about what people sound like..).
1. You are SQUARE! you are way easy to hit that way.
2. You are standing right in front of him (as someone else stated). Again easy to hit.
3. When you move, you move right to his power (your left), the end of round two you get hit with all rights, you want to move to you right as well if not more.
4. You dont tuck your chin when you punch (most of the time)
5. Last, you project your punches, Dont think with your hands. You can see what your thinking by the way you throw.

Okay so I know everything sounds easy later. But here is something I have found that works for me with tall fighters ( I say for me because I do not believe in robotic technique, or that something should work for everyone). I move left ,at a distance (he loves to feel with the jab, so let him) then I pop the jab back ( to head, more setup), step right ( you know he will be thinking right, when you are moving left), jab body ( he will jab back) slip right, you will have right to the body or head, he is tall I would crush the body and slow him down a bit. Get out though, you cant stand in with him (not yet). Next, when he throws that 5 jab BS, step forward and to the right and again crush the body. There is no power in that, it is just a setup for the right, step away from the right hand and get the body.Also he sticks his arm out there, punch the F out it. That will stop. I keep watching to see what else I can tell you that I see, sure there are others that can help out more if they chime in. So next, dont punch at nothing, for example when he is on the ropes. You need to make sure you are hitting something. Combos are great, just make sure you score. Ok so last, he is a good fighter. Dont get mad and look for a home-run. Keep boxing, also you seem to have the stance of a brawler... I think you are faster then that. May try talkin to your trainer about getting you in a better speed stance... just my few thoughts.
kasper4040 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
cm_boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper4040 View Post
I myself have just started boxing not to long ago. I Have always loved it and studied it so I will just tell you what I see (maybe it is a little more help then talkin about what people sound like..).
1. You are SQUARE! you are way easy to hit that way.
2. You are standing right in front of him (as someone else stated). Again easy to hit.
3. When you move, you move right to his power (your left), the end of round two you get hit with all rights, you want to move to you right as well if not more.
4. You dont tuck your chin when you punch (most of the time)
5. Last, you project your punches, Dont think with your hands. You can see what your thinking by the way you throw.

Okay so I know everything sounds easy later. But here is something I have found that works for me with tall fighters ( I say for me because I do not believe in robotic technique, or that something should work for everyone). I move left ,at a distance (he loves to feel with the jab, so let him) then I pop the jab back ( to head, more setup), step right ( you know he will be thinking right, when you are moving left), jab body ( he will jab back) slip right, you will have right to the body or head, he is tall I would crush the body and slow him down a bit. Get out though, you cant stand in with him (not yet). Next, when he throws that 5 jab BS, step forward and to the right and again crush the body. There is no power in that, it is just a setup for the right, step away from the right hand and get the body.Also he sticks his arm out there, punch the F out it. That will stop. I keep watching to see what else I can tell you that I see, sure there are others that can help out more if they chime in. So next, dont punch at nothing, for example when he is on the ropes. You need to make sure you are hitting something. Combos are great, just make sure you score. Ok so last, he is a good fighter. Dont get mad and look for a home-run. Keep boxing, also you seem to have the stance of a brawler... I think you are faster then that. May try talkin to your trainer about getting you in a better speed stance... just my few thoughts.
How do you not be square?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_boxing View Post
How do you not be square?
Put your front shoulder (left if you're orthodox) in front of you. It gives your opponent less of a target.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
kasper4040

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ-u_jVgQro[/ame]
kasper4040 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
cm_boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper4040 View Post
Thanks for the video, will try it out later today, i think my coach is gonna make me spar again this thursday so i gotta practice this stance today so i can apply it by then.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #14
cm_boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Alright, i tried to work on my form a little bit, i think i've made a bit of progress but there is a lot of work to do (head movement still lacking), im having trouble getting inside taller fighters.. seems to be a lot of those in my gym.

here's some clips of videos of my fourth and fifth sparring sessions (other segments of these videos are corrupted and cannot be uploaded into youtube unfortunately)

segment of my fifth session:

segment from my latest sparring session, i felt like i got owned here but when i saw the video it wasnt that bad:

on an unrelated note, is there any way to uncorrupt these video files? they play fine on my laptop but youtube wont read them.

Again, thanks for your advice/critique. i felt that tip about the shoulder being in front helped.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

Damm you look damm good for your 3rd spar, in fact probably better than I've ever seen anyone within their first 10 spars...

You just seem to be unusually calm, form is very good for someone whos only in the 3rd sparring sessions, your movements are like someone whos had some ring experience already.
dangerousity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing