Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880
Default Weight Lifting as part of Boxing Training

I've been doing boxing for a couple of months and have truly caught the bug. I've also been weightlifting for a few years, and have found the effect it has on my body has been limiting my performance in boxing. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to integrate a weight lifting programme effectively into boxing training.

I generallly hit the gym 3-4 times a week, doing chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders, and legs on seperate days. I box on Tuesdays, but was planning to do it on Thursdays aswell.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
qwert is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
BriantheSleeper

vCash: 350
Default Re: Weight Lifting as part of Boxing Training

Weightlifting and Boxing do not really mix, unless you come up with a program designed just for boxing. Weights make your muscles bigger but slower, plus you will need more oxygen to power them making you gas faster. You need to focus on using NATURAL resistance instead of weights to build LEAN muscle mass. I would recommend lots of Pull-ups since you are using your own body weight as resistance. I'm not a trainer so I can't recommend a program for you but this is the method we use at my gym. If you don't want to ditch the weights, I hear Olympic style lifting works well.

That being said. Weights can definitely be incorporated, I'm just not sure of the proper method. We plan to start a weightlifting program within the next few weeks at my gym so Ill let you know what I find out.
BriantheSleeper is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
BriantheSleeper

Actually the strength & conditioning program listed on the forum is exactly the type of workout you would want. I would recommend trying it out.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
mlg321

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriantheSleeper View Post
Weightlifting and Boxing do not really mix, unless you come up with a program designed just for boxing. Weights make your muscles bigger but slower, plus you will need more oxygen to power them making you gas faster. You need to focus on using NATURAL resistance instead of weights to build LEAN muscle mass. I would recommend lots of Pull-ups since you are using your own body weight as resistance. I'm not a trainer so I can't recommend a program for you but this is the method we use at my gym. If you don't want to ditch the weights, I hear Olympic style lifting works well.

That being said. Weights can definitely be incorporated, I'm just not sure of the proper method. We plan to start a weightlifting program within the next few weeks at my gym so Ill let you know what I find out.
no....just no
mlg321 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The Pie eating... Triad beating... Undisputed king of ESB
vCash: 75

Here's what I've started to do now....

Every other day I'll work one muscle group lifting weights, whatever exercise I do, I'll always lift the maximum amount of weight I can handle but only do five reps..... with about eight sets too.

I work my triceps (using the cable) my legs and I'l also work my waist.

Aswell as that, I work my biceps doing curls (which many don't recomend in boxing in regards to lifting weights, due to the power coming from your triceps) but personally, it just works for me. I find that this has made my endurance, speed and power all increase aswell not having to worry about gaining weight through mass (provided you have a good diet of course)
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:

Tell this guy weights have no place in boxing

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

it can be done depends how you use them. I personally dont use weights and havnt lifted a "weight" for over a year. I use bodyweight exercises. However why handicap yourself if you find something anything that works. Never limit yourself just because things are generally taken as fact. I think oppinion is changing but how long has it been said by many trainers that weightlifting is bad for boxing and you must do long roadwork everyday. I think theres alot of old skool oppinions that are changing for the better and i think weightlifting is deffinatly one. Sure someone with more experience will comment
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Resistance training is a basic part of fitness and should be done by anyone. So, to say that weight lifting and boxing do not mix is not accurate. Bodybuilding and boxing do not mix. But, weight training won't hurt any, in fact it can help; unless you are using time that could be better used by more boxing specific training.
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
BriantheSleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love Hewitt View Post
Resistance training is a basic part of fitness and should be done by anyone. So, to say that weight lifting and boxing do not mix is not accurate. Bodybuilding and boxing do not mix. But, weight training won't hurt any, in fact it can help; unless you are using time that could be better used by more boxing specific training.
This is absolutely right. I should have said body-building.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

When you say resistance training, how do you suggest doing it? People who really know what they're talking about? I'm happy with the weight I fight at, I just need to get stronger I feel, I'm fit, good at long distance running, reasonable at sprinting but getting better but I lag way behind on the circuits at our gym. I've been training for 2 years, was getting somewhere with my strength then weakened myself when training harder for my fight and seem back at square one. I don't know wether I need to do some heavier lifting to progress or just stick at the body weight excersizes and progress slowly. I don't want to do weights unless I have to, it doesn't fit in well with my lfie and training for me.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880

Thanks for the advice guys. I get the impression that I need to focus much more on a calesthenics style workout. I think I have too much mass from lifting heavy weights for a few years, it's gonna be weird completely changing my workout but I want something geared more towards sports training. I heard Freddie Roach talking about moving a lot of Amir Khan's weight off his upper body and onto his legs, and I think I need something similar.

Below is a short article on David Haye's workout if anyone's interested:

Boxers seem to do a lot of pull ups and other bodyweight exercises, but do they still incorporate much weight lifting, even basics like bench press, squats, military press?
qwert is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Amazing for conditioning and strength.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
This is absolutely right. I should have said body-building.
Define what moves you consider body builing please??
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
BriantheSleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
Define what moves you consider body builing please??

This
Old 12-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
BriantheSleeper

You guys may be interested in this. I am starting a kettleball weightlifting program at my gym that incorporates mostly core and hip-related exercises. The program will go for 4 weeks which means I will be inactive from fighting during the program as I need to dedicate myself to it. I will be doing the kettleball routine on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I will be doing my regular boxing routine on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I have fights on the 16th and 17th so I probably won't officially start until the week after. I did a few demo workouts to see how it will work and it seems like it's the way to go. Explosiveness, power and speed, even conditioning, all in one.

If you guys are interested, I will try letting you know the results and if they are good enough, I can try posting a routine on here though you should always start off with assistance from a trainer. For example; I was doing squats completely wrong up until yesterday.

Let me know what you guys think
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

We have resistance all around us, its called Gravity. The body over many years has learned to adapt to it by experiance, making joints and muscles change to adapt and evolve for correct Form, Posture. Interestingly body movement thats the thing that moves joints muscle, has the same propertys and elasticity as Rubber the longer the movement the weaker the strength. Now theres a clue for Better and Safer Results, I love the stuff.
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing