lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290
Default Re: Weight Lifting as part of Boxing Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ben' View Post
Here's what I've started to do now....

Every other day I'll work one muscle group lifting weights, whatever exercise I do, I'll always lift the maximum amount of weight I can handle but only do five reps..... with about eight sets too.

I work my triceps (using the cable) my legs and I'l also work my waist.

Aswell as that, I work my biceps doing curls (which many don't recomend in boxing in regards to lifting weights, due to the power coming from your triceps) but personally, it just works for me. I find that this has made my endurance, speed and power all increase aswell not having to worry about gaining weight through mass (provided you have a good diet of course)
Dude if you're getting power from your triceps when you punch then you can't punch for shit.
lefty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Dude if you're getting power from your triceps when you punch then you can't punch for shit.
Or what if he can punch, and he's only using triceps??....imagine when he learns to punch correctly...BLAM!
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
Beau Geste
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

David Haye is a bad example for the benefits of weight lifting in boxing. He generally gasses after a few rounds. Against Valuev he threw very few punches. His talk of a superior work rate is just talk.

Haye would be better served losing all the show muscles and doing roadwork and calisthenics for the conditioning part of his workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I get the impression that I need to focus much more on a calesthenics style workout. I think I have too much mass from lifting heavy weights for a few years, it's gonna be weird completely changing my workout but I want something geared more towards sports training. I heard Freddie Roach talking about moving a lot of Amir Khan's weight off his upper body and onto his legs, and I think I need something similar.

Below is a short article on David Haye's workout if anyone's interested:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Boxers seem to do a lot of pull ups and other bodyweight exercises, but do they still incorporate much weight lifting, even basics like bench press, squats, military press?
Beau Geste is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #19
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Weigths are constant, Joints and Muscle are not, The clues are there, who lives in a House like this
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
nautolian

vCash: 500

personally, i think if haye did long distance roadwork in addition to his routine he'd keep his power, speed, and be able to go the distance at a steady workrate. as of now, he throws one or two monster knockout punches a round and thats about it. but that power is still enough for him to win fights. I'd really like to know his full workout routine just to see what kind of power building exercises he does.
nautolian is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #21
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Plyometrics and workouts utilising kettle/medicine balls are the best workouts boxers can do. I tried weights myself and I put on a fair bit of weight. IT slowed me down heaps, and I get so tired boxing or hitting bag for a long time. I can never box again because of what weights have done against me lol
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #22
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

**** peoples ideas are scattered here.

When they say weights make you slow, that is just a generalization. You would have to be lifting quite a full on and ignorant weights routine for that to happen.

Look for explosive exercises associated with boxing and there are exercises appropriate for boxing, then reap the benefits of explosive power training. These routines generally focus on low rep high weight.

I cant say this for a fact but I would put money on the majority of Boxers these days implement weights into their routine. Just like any other sports specific training, you have to do your research to see how to benefit from it.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 01-02-2010 at 06:49 PM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #23
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It really depends on the person. I find that any stregth training exercise (pull ups, dips, push ups) or any crossfit type training only inhibits my performance in the ring. It takes away from the snap and timing of your punches. Say whatever you want in theory, ive tried everything from weights to cross fit and inbetween. Anything boxing (speed bag, heavy bag, double end bag, mits with your trainer, jump rope, and sparring. Outside of boxing i run (long distance, hills, stairs, sprints) I swim and i do a shitload of abs. Once a week i do a bunch of stregth training for my knee. Id stay away from any type of stregth training for your upper body. Power comes from proper technique and nothing else.
elmaldito is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #24
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Amazing for conditioning and strength.
MMA
but not for boxing unless its all for your legs.
elmaldito is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #25
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

I'm not about to argue against resistance training, I just happen to prefer the sports specific one as I've never had any good results from weights. I feel sluggish after doing them, it takes time to get back to the way I was and wasting time is not my ideal. I'll be doing bag work instead thank you.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

One thing to understand about Plyos or any form of impact, is correct form as regards motion. Neurons have wonderfull memory and mainly work of Feel the bodys early warning system. Look more into Touch and Feel in regards motorization exercises, sometimes a Ruler is better than a Hammer as regards the areas we Hit for Neuromuscular response. Areas such as Elbows Knees and Heels, also the results you will get by using Rubber is amazing. It will give the muscle the same Feel and Touch throughout any working motion safely, Weights wont thats a Fact they are constant, Neurons and Muscle are not.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #27
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaldito View Post
It really depends on the person. I find that any stregth training exercise (pull ups, dips, push ups) or any crossfit type training only inhibits my performance in the ring. It takes away from the snap and timing of your punches. Say whatever you want in theory, ive tried everything from weights to cross fit and inbetween. Anything boxing (speed bag, heavy bag, double end bag, mits with your trainer, jump rope, and sparring. Outside of boxing i run (long distance, hills, stairs, sprints) I swim and i do a shitload of abs. Once a week i do a bunch of stregth training for my knee. Id stay away from any type of stregth training for your upper body. Power comes from proper technique and nothing else.
When you do any strength work like that or weights your motion is alot slower than what a punch is, that's why you feel it takes away from the snap of your punches. Plyometrics are alot closer to the speed of a punch so if you do these immediately after your strength exercises you'll get your strength and your snap. It's good to shadowbox with perfect technique or atleast visualise yourself throwing fast snappy punches during these sessions aswell to strengthen the neural connection and make your time more sports specific.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
One thing to understand about Plyos or any form of impact, is correct form as regards motion. Neurons have wonderfull memory and mainly work of Feel the bodys early warning system. Look more into Touch and Feel in regards motorization exercises, sometimes a Ruler is better than a Hammer as regards the areas we Hit for Neuromuscular response. Areas such as Elbows Knees and Heels, also the results you will get by using Rubber is amazing. It will give the muscle the same Feel and Touch throughout any working motion safely, Weights wont thats a Fact they are constant, Neurons and Muscle are not.
Thats bloody perfect. I've been trying to put it like that in words for ages.

I see punchers like RJJ and Haye have abnormal muscle memory and a rubbery snap thats perfect for a punching movement. You can tell a heavyweight who mostly use constant weight for resistance, they lose a lot of the twitching muscle control in their movements. Their punches look like a solid constant force instead of an accelerating and decelerating movement.

Not sure thats right but that quote is definitely save worthy, it gets you thinking.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 01-03-2010 at 12:10 PM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #29
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What they have the both of them is the awareness of Gravity, Posture, Balance. They are Athletic in movement, not the best in the Nuts and Bolts Technique wise . But they have Speed the leveler. With your eyesight only having a 1/6 of a second memory its a big player .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #30
stephen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 331

i box and used to do heavy weights with my boxing training but i felt to heavy i still do weights but only light weights

Last edited by stephen; 01-03-2010 at 08:19 PM.
stephen is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing