Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Lunny

vCash:
Default 6' 0.5'' 155lb and a 72'' reach. Is that a bad build?

I'm planning on joining up to a boxing club in January and those are my stats. I was just wondering about the reach because out of curiosity mainly I just measured my wingspan and it was 72''.

I always assumed I'd have a pretty decent reach but comparing that to proffessional boxers it seems a bit on the short side.

Whilst I'm pretty fit and lean as far as I'm aware being tall and skinny only really works out if you have a long reach to go with it (Hearns, Williams etc.).

Does this mean I'm likely to be pretty lame in the ring? I was hoping to get a fight or 2 maybe in a year or however long it takes.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: 6' 0.5'' 155lb and a 72'' reach. Is that a bad build?

None of that matters.

What matters is how hard u train and how serious u are about boxing.
dfh85 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Lunny

vCash:

Well I love the sport, and am starting to get a bit obsessed so that can't be bad.

Cheers for the reply
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh85 View Post
None of that matters.

What matters is how hard u train and how serious u are about boxing.
This.

Plus, Lucian Bute is 6'2" and only has a 70" reach.

You'll be pretty tall for your weight class anyway, so that reach will be fine.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
CrocodileFace
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

You're fine and to be honest, if you're 155 now you'll be shedding a few pounds off when u start fighting. I started boxing at 190 and i looked skinny then. I'm 6'3-6'4 and i just weighed in at 159 this morning... I planned on fighting 165, looks like 158 or 152 is even reasonable for me now.

But like the other said, it's not the body that counts. While having certain physical builds may help thats not the important part. Your training and how you use your body to accommodate the new skills you learned is what's important. Remember Roadwork is 80% of your victory.

Stay determined w/ training and calm in the ring and you'll be fine
CrocodileFace is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Lunny

vCash:

Good stuff, that's a bit of a relief to be honest.

How long does it usually take of training until you can get a fight?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

First thing is as a boxer all popular conceptions about body weight and height go right out the window. I still have friends call me skinny (6'1-2" 165) , mostly football playin friends and stuff. It used to bother me and I felt skinny, made me feel like bulking up. My dad told me, when they say that, ask them to step in the ring weight for weight and see their response. haha, yea. Obv they shut up.

Point being, you condition yourself well, and prepare yourself with skills and end up where you end up. You fight when you're ready. Simply. Forget about height and weight and so called "norms". We're all diff in that dept.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Worry about conditioning,fitness and strength rather than weight and or what you look like.

More important than anything worry about skill and technique especially if your a beginner. The good thing about boxing is theres something for all shapes and sizes
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

very short arms.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
FM3O
Journeyman

Nahh that isn't too short. There are hundred's of things more important then a few inches of wingspan. I'm about 6'2 165 and I have a 74" reach. No problems here. You just have to learn to suit your physical abilities with stylistic ones.
FM3O is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

to be proportioned your wingspan should be the same as your height. 72" is about half an inch off. However in boxing a couple of inches on your height would always be my preference.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunny View Post
I'm planning on joining up to a boxing club in January and those are my stats. I was just wondering about the reach because out of curiosity mainly I just measured my wingspan and it was 72''.

I always assumed I'd have a pretty decent reach but comparing that to proffessional boxers it seems a bit on the short side.

Whilst I'm pretty fit and lean as far as I'm aware being tall and skinny only really works out if you have a long reach to go with it (Hearns, Williams etc.).

Does this mean I'm likely to be pretty lame in the ring? I was hoping to get a fight or 2 maybe in a year or however long it takes.
The build is OK at super middle or middle, but would become an issue at supper middle and light heavy as your arms would be short.

Much depends on your style. Are you a boxer, a forward moving swarmer, or a plant your feet puncher type?

I'd recommend a style of standing tall from a distance to use your height, and working on quick body punches from the the inside, and learn the uppercut. On the inside, shorter arms can actually work to your favor.

Also work on your mid section. The long and lean types are often the ones who get stung the easiest by body shots.

The tape alone does not dictate ring prowess. Will, dedication, speed, and power, timing have a big say too. Good luck.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #13
E-B
Stay Alpha

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileFace View Post
You're fine and to be honest, if you're 155 now you'll be shedding a few pounds off when u start fighting. I started boxing at 190 and i looked skinny then. I'm 6'3-6'4 and i just weighed in at 159 this morning... I planned on fighting 165, looks like 158 or 152 is even reasonable for me now.

But like the other said, it's not the body that counts. While having certain physical builds may help thats not the important part. Your training and how you use your body to accommodate the new skills you learned is what's important. Remember Roadwork is 80% of your victory.

Stay determined w/ training and calm in the ring and you'll be fine
190 -> 159 is a lot with your build...are you sure your calorie intake was/is sufficient? I experienced a similar drop once I started doing roadwork again and lost about as much muscle as fat because I ate too little.
E-B is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing