Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Pinky Thomas VS. "Spoon, Weaver & Tyson."

I just finished up my review of "Thomas-Tyson" earlier today and, I gotta say, Pinklon Thomas fought like he was in slow motion at the tender age of 29 against the 20 year Mike Tyson in May of 1987 on HBO out in Vegas..... Thomas was pathetic....... And I don't wanna here any crap about not being in-shape of prepared for Tyson, cuz that's bollocks.... P.T. came in at roughly 217 solid pounds of muscle, but his speed and reflexes were just not there...... Neither was any crisp punching from Thomas....... Mike Tyson was simply better, younger, fresher and more skilled in 1987 than P.T. was, or ever was........

Going back now, I just reviewed how Pinklon Thomas basically walked Tim Spoon down in 1984 to take the WBC title away from Spoon over 12 so-so rds of boxing and somewhat jackin' off........ Spoon did MOST of the jackin' off in the fight.......... Spoon seemed to get hurt early by a punch and became timid, and Pinky Thomas was landing his thudding jab pretty much all through the fight.... Spoon seemed flusted and confused, as well as bored or caring less....... Tim Spoon had no fire at all........ I think P.T. looked so good cuz he had nobody pressuring him or making him fight hard..... P.T. was able to fight at his own pace cuz Spoon allowed it to be that way........ All in all, P.T.'s greatest achievement.......

I'm about to do the review with Pinky Thomas and Mike Weaver from 1985... It was a good, but also sloppy fight.... Mike Weaver was in at an unusual high of 223 pounds, but he still looked good.... M.W. later claimed he had no legs against Pinklon Thomas..... But Weaver still had his punch and desire to go after P.T. and make him work.... I have this on tape and I love this fight, cuz it was exciting........ Come round 8, P.T. crashed home a straight right hand down the pike and it closed the show on Mike Weaver.........

By 1988, against Evander Holyfield, Pinklon Thomas looked buffed and tuned, but his speed, skills and reflexes were shot to hell and he was done as a serious fight........

The '90 TKO loss to Bowe was for Crack money and a house payment for Pinklon Thomas....... SAD!!!

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Pinky Thomas VS. "Spoon, Weaver & Tyson."

He pretty much won that title from Witherspoon with that beautiful jab of his.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Blood Green
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2492

After the Tyson fight, he went on a heroin binge straight after.
Blood Green is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Green View Post
After the Tyson fight, he went on a heroin binge straight after.
I would too after taking the shots he took from Tyson. He looked like he was in a lot of pain.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

thomas did well for a few rounds against tyson. mike just slowed him down with his body punches and combo's
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
I just finished up my review of "Thomas-Tyson" earlier today and, I gotta say, Pinklon Thomas fought like he was in slow motion at the tender age of 29 against the 20 year Mike Tyson in May of 1987 on HBO out in Vegas..... Thomas was pathetic....... And I don't wanna here any crap about not being in-shape of prepared for Tyson, cuz that's bollocks....
Heavy drug use can play a big part
Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

He was on the herion before the Berbick fight and was toying with it in between fights prior to that.Pinklon was a teenage Herion addict and recovered but went back when he won a title. I know a kid that was related to him and they said if he stayed strait he would havw wiped out the division...a lot of weakened fighters in the 80's..from drugs...Cooney,Dokes,Page,Tubbs,Tucker,Tate and Tucker to name a few
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

**** it......... Thomas was a junkie BEFORE he hit the big time, but, he cleaned up and kicked some ass between 1983 thru 1985........ By '86, he was wealthy and big-headed... He stroked his **** against Trevor Berbick on HBO....... He never rebounded......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I know a kid that was related to him and they said if he stayed strait he would havw wiped out the division..
Without a needle burning out his veins and brains, he may very well have been a better fighter, but I don't think he'd be the poster boy for the 1980's. He was too one dimensional and relied almost exclusively on a single arm to do most of his work. He was also somewhat on the slow side. Of course, we'll never know what his true potential really was, as heroin tends to make a lot of talent disappear into thin air, but somehow I can't see him ever topping the elite of the 80's scene which were primarily Holmes and Tyson.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Probably his best fight was the Tillis bout & he looked pretty good in that one. The ballgame was over after the Weaver fight though.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadfrak View Post
Probably his best fight was the Tillis bout & he looked pretty good in that one. The ballgame was over after the Weaver fight though.
Yeah, but Jimmy Tillis was exposed as a fraud after his '81 and '82 losses to "Weaver and Page." I did a thread on James Tillis a while ago asking what went wrong with Tillis, and why he never won a "paper" title.... The consensus was, he wasn't that good...... James Tillis was really a "B" heavyweight posing as an "A" fighter early on.... But again, he got exposed....... By the time he dropped the nod to M.Frazier in '85, I basically gave up on any hopes of James Tillis doing anything big........ He finished with 20 losses plus on his record....... ARGH!!!

As for Pinky Thomas, after his loss to Riddick Bowe in '90, Pinky Thomas signed a basic contract with Jackie Kallen and strung together 5 or 6 wins to pad his record before retiring in the early 90s... P.T. basically just hammered a buncha' tomato cans to round up his career.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think it was one of the more brutal ko's of Tyson's career, and it was rather sad to see Thomas's deterioration. I prefer to remember him from that Witherspoon bout and that awesome jab of his..one of the best I've ever seen...in fact I'm going to watch it on YouTube now.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Prime Thomas had elite skills. One of the best jabs in the Heavyweight division, power, speed and boxing ability. Witherspoon was in-shape and a hot commidity, and Pinklon beat him rather comfortably. He could have made some noise had he been clean.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I merely think Pinky Thomas had a good jab and a heavy right cross...... His left hook and right uppercut was pretty average....... His leg speed was okay--when he utilized it..... Other than that, he did plod to a large degree....... And by age 28 in 1986, his stamina had become suspect regardless of his tight, muscular build........ P.T. had some good points, but they didn't last very long......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
Jaws
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Thomas had a pretty darn good chin.
Jaws is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum