Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Carnage
KingFroch
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2556
Default Tips on how to fight different fighters....

Just wanted some tips on how to fight (spar) different types of fighters. How do I fight someone who is smaller than me? I find it hard to throw low enough, going to the body doesn't help and when they get in real close I can't seem to get the leverage they can. Any tips.

And secondly how do I fight someone with good head movement or someone who is faster than me? Other day was sparring some guy with very good head movement, my best punch is my jab, but couldn't land a thing, all he was doing was moving his head from side to side, any way I can counteract this, maybe spoil it in a way?? Cheers!
Carnage is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
BriantheSleeper

vCash: 350
Default Re: Tips on how to fight different fighters....

How's your footwork? Do you move a lot or are you a more stationary fighter? When fighting shorter guys, I never let them get close enough to get inside. Just keep them at range with the jab and if they slip it, try smacking them with an uppercut since they'll probably be ducking your jab. Try faking your jab and see how they will react to it. And DOUBLE UP that jab. This is especially important when fighting counter-punchers, as it will throw off their timing.
BriantheSleeper is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Carnage
KingFroch
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriantheSleeper View Post
How's your footwork? Do you move a lot or are you a more stationary fighter? When fighting shorter guys, I never let them get close enough to get inside. Just keep them at range with the jab and if they slip it, try smacking them with an uppercut since they'll probably be ducking your jab. Try faking your jab and see how they will react to it. And DOUBLE UP that jab. This is especially important when fighting counter-punchers, as it will throw off their timing.
Ooo! Nice! I can see that working actually, especially the uppercut and faking the jab! Thanks mate! Any more tips can hurt!!
Carnage is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
BriantheSleeper

vCash: 350

One more suggestion I guess. If they do manage to get inside, don't feel bad about grabbing them and tying them up, so the ref can break it. This is a tactic I am actually getting used to myself as I usually hate holding.
BriantheSleeper is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Carnage
KingFroch
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriantheSleeper View Post
One more suggestion I guess. If they do manage to get inside, don't feel bad about grabbing them and tying them up, so the ref can break it. This is a tactic I am actually getting used to myself as I usually hate holding.
Yeah man, I got nothing against holding now and again, just not excessive. Cheers for the tips, will see how the work next session!!
Carnage is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

For someone smaller you just have to keep moving and firing the jab, if they get past that drop a right hand or an uppercut.

If you're just standing there throwing jabs at him, he just has to slip it and move in a little bit to get inside. But if you're moving around and throwing the jabs, even if he slips it, it's harder for him to get inside because you've changed position. Move more side to side though, not straight back. If you move straight back, it's easy for him to go straight forward.

Step left and right, and also use pivots to the left and right at angles. Think of a bull charging at a bullfighter. If he's rushing in, pop the jab and then take a small pivot off to the side so he goes right by you, as he turns to face you, you are ready to fire the right hand, and then either follow it up if it hits, or move out of the way and go back to jabbing if he blocks it and gets back on you.

If he does get inside, instead of grabbing on to him (which will stop him from being able to punch, but will get you a warning from the referee) just keep your guard up and walk right into him. You will smother his punches and he won't be able to hit you. The two of you will probably get tangled up, but then the ref will just say 'break' and won't give you a warning because you weren't actually grabbing him.

Alot of this stuff is hard to describe in words and easier to show you, but hopefully you get what we're saying.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Carnage
KingFroch
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHooker View Post
For someone smaller you just have to keep moving and firing the jab, if they get past that drop a right hand or an uppercut.

If you're just standing there throwing jabs at him, he just has to slip it and move in a little bit to get inside. But if you're moving around and throwing the jabs, even if he slips it, it's harder for him to get inside because you've changed position. Move more side to side though, not straight back. If you move straight back, it's easy for him to go straight forward.

Step left and right, and also use pivots to the left and right at angles. Think of a bull charging at a bullfighter. If he's rushing in, pop the jab and then take a small pivot off to the side so he goes right by you, as he turns to face you, you are ready to fire the right hand, and then either follow it up if it hits, or move out of the way and go back to jabbing if he blocks it and gets back on you.

If he does get inside, instead of grabbing on to him (which will stop him from being able to punch, but will get you a warning from the referee) just keep your guard up and walk right into him. You will smother his punches and he won't be able to hit you. The two of you will probably get tangled up, but then the ref will just say 'break' and won't give you a warning because you weren't actually grabbing him.

Alot of this stuff is hard to describe in words and easier to show you, but hopefully you get what we're saying.
Nope I actually understand all of that. Instead of grabbing I think I'll use the tight guard. What about keeping a Abraham-esque guard if they get in, then the get rid of them work the body? Would that work, or is it too high a chance of getting countered?
Carnage is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Personally if I was fighting a guy with very good head movement, I'd just hit the body. Makes sense given you're landing punches and wearing him down so he may stop moving his head as much. Keep popping the jab and keep your range early on aswell and see if you can find a pattern to there head mvement.
TommyV is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing