Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default All-Time Heavyweight Tournament With A Twist

Let us say, hypothetically, that we could arrange a tournament between all of the heavyweight champions from Sullivan to Klitschko under modern rules except for one detail:

All fights last a single round. The winner of that round moves on to the next phase of the tournament. Point victories OR knockouts are permitted. Because of the short time limit, stalling is strongly discouraged by the scorers.

Who wins?
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: All-Time Heavyweight Tournament With A Twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer View Post
Let us say, hypothetically, that we could arrange a tournament between all of the heavyweight champions from Sullivan to Klitschko under modern rules except for one detail:

All fights last a single round. The winner of that round moves on to the next phase of the tournament. Point victories OR knockouts are permitted. Because of the short time limit, stalling is strongly discouraged by the scorers.

Who wins?
So, the fastest most furious starter? Dempsey, is my knee-jerk reaction. I might think differently after taking some time with it.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tyson
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

over one round you say ?

I'd take a long shot gamble on herbie hide in a one rounder...daft as it may sound
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
over one round you say ?

I'd take a long shot gamble on herbie hide in a one rounder...daft as it may sound
Not with killers like Tyson and Dempsey.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
over one round you say ?

Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i think this one is impossible to predict if at lasts only one round then the factor luck becomes a verry big factor. so any thing is possible.
but let em do a wild guess.. liston.....
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuyMan View Post
The great John L. Sullivan himself, of course. He would leap about like a giddy goat, prancing through the air and smiting the likes of Tyson and Lewis above their guards, just the way he did this burly Eskimo blacksmith in 1884. Based on a 19th century newspaper clipping that vaguely referenced something to do with movement of the head, I have intuited that he had a completely modern style.
John L was a replica for Joe Louis in compact delivery ,he had the dancing feet of Ali, he possessed the combos of Floyd Patterson,the jab of Larry Holmes ,the ring smarts of Tunney,the viciousness of Dempsey ,the determination of Marciano,and the power of Baer /Foreman/Liston,combined.Boxing has been going down hill since he retired,after being drugged , just prior to the Corbett fight.

He was years ahead of his time,proof of that is that women today wear his tights.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
The great John L. Sullivan himself, of course. He would leap about like a giddy goat, prancing through the air and smiting the likes of Tyson and Lewis above their guards, just the way he did this burly Eskimo blacksmith in 1884. Based on a 19th century newspaper clipping that vaguely referenced something to do with movement of the head, I have intuited that he had a completely modern style.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Kid Dynamite
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
wellsini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1206

1987-88 tyson
wellsini is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
wellsini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1206

Quote:
over one round you say ?

wellsini is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

You may see some training and style changes from some of the greats if they knew it was one rds..My kneejerk reaction is that the quick starters who normally fades (Tyson,Lewis, never stopped anyone after the 8th except Ribalta(Tyson RSC) Dempsey would Be a favorite in a toe to toe one rounder and compares to Tyson( only difference is Jack did indeed get off the floor to win while Tyson and Lewis were unable to...I think this could go to a puncher but also a great Defensive fighter like Tunney,Vlad,Vitali,Ali,Walcott, who could move there ass off in a sprint
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
John L might not be such a bad shout actualy.

Consider that many of his title fights were over four to six rounds, against small technical types, and he could not afford to waste one second of one round.

The format of this tournament might suit him.

I have taken some criticism for my reconstruction or Sullivans style based on contemporary accounts but untill somboy else produces a rival interpretation based on contemporary sources we have to regard it as the best put forward on this site. There is nothing to stop my critics from looking at the sources themselves, and trying to find fault with it, or even atermpt their own interpretation.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
John L might not be such a bad shout actualy.

Consider that many of his title fights were over four to six rounds, against small technical types, and he could not afford to waste one second of one round.

The format of this tournament might suit him.

I have taken some criticism for my reconstruction or Sullivans style based on contemporary accounts but untill somboy else produces a rival interpretation based on contemporary sources we have to regard it as the best put forward on this site. There is nothing to stop my critics from looking at the sources themselves, and trying to find fault with it, or even atermpt their own interpretation.
I thought your interpretation was quite good, especially given the amount of evidence that you had to work with. That being said, your offer to attempt another interpretation is quite tempting...

On the thread's subject, Sullivan would be a pretty good choice if we assume that his style of boxing was modern enough to compete, or that it was awkward enough to do so.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum