Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who In Your Opinion Was The Greatest LHW Of All Time?
Archie Moore 5 12.82%
Ezzard Charles 22 56.41%
Michael Spinks 6 15.38%
Tommy Loughran 0 0%
Jimmy Bivins 0 0%
Bob Foster 1 2.56%
Roy Jones Jr 0 0%
Kid McCoy 0 0%
Gene Tunney 4 10.26%
Other (If So Name) 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Frazier Hook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Who In Your Opinion Was The Greatest LHW Of All Time?

Poll To Come.......
Frazier Hook is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who In Your Opinion Was The Greatest LHW Of All Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazier Hook View Post
Poll To Come.......
**** it......... Michael Spinks....... Spinks was champ at 175 and at 200+ pounds........ He barely tallied up 30 pro fights, but he has an amateur background too.......... Spinks is # 1 for me..... Plus, I favor him cuz he was champ in my golden yrs in high school........

# 2 is Bob Foster....... Foster was a murderer for anyone who fought between 160 to 175 pounds...... Foster really was only beatable when he fought above 179 pounds against bigger dudes who were able to handle his power....... Also, Foster was a serious bad-ass well into his later 30s....

# 3 is Archie Moore........ Moore was great, but tall boxers with speed, guile and power were normally able to out-finess him in a match...... But Moore sometimes got home with a punch of his own to end matters... Moore was great........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

should have added billy conn to the list
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Henry Maske
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Frazier Hook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
should have added billy conn to the list
Only allowed 10 on the poll. Who do you take off for Conn?
Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Only allowed 10 on the poll. Who do you take off for Conn?
I'd have to think about that... but it don't seem right having a list of ten top light heavys and not list conn...he's arguably top three
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
Frazier Hook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
I'd have to think about that... but it don't seem right having a list of ten top light heavys and not list conn...he's arguably top three
Really? I'd say Moore, Charles, Spinks, Foster and even Jones Jr were more accomplished fighters at the weight.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Virgil Hill always gets shitted on at 175, but he made 20+ defenses over TWO reigns...... YES! His comp was merely good to average but, he deserves credit..... He also won a belt at 190 as well......

I'd vote Virgil Hill into the IBHOF...... He also has a silver medal from '84........ For **** sakes.......

That '91 loss to Hearns by decision still haunts Hill's legacy to this day....... Hill's 2007 decision loss to Henry Maske was horrid.... The fight stunk, but I thought Hill out-pointed Maske on the punch-stat...... Maske threw 10 punchers a round and was slow as shit......... Maske got some home cooking there........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Really? I'd say Moore, Charles, Spinks, Foster and even Jones Jr were more accomplished fighters at the weight.
I'd love to hear the argument for that one.

Jones Jr. is borderline top 15 for me at the weight, despite him being one of my favorite fighters. I don't understand why people often refer to him as anything close to a top 10 Lt. Heavyweight or a surefire inclusion.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Charles. He never won a title at this weight but his resume outshines the others in my opinion.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
Frazier Hook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
I'd love to hear the argument for that one.

Jones Jr. is borderline top 15 for me at the weight, despite him being one of my favorite fighters. I don't understand why people often refer to him as anything close to a top 10 Lt. Heavyweight or a surefire inclusion.
Dominated the weight class for seven years and defeated McCallum, Hill, Griffin, Reggie Johnson, Harding, Gonzalez, Tarver, Trinidad and Lacy at the weight. Aswell as unifing the division.

I would like to hear your reasons on you rating Conn higher than him at 175lb.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Royal "With Cheese" Jones fought a stream of bums and stiffs at 175... If people are gonna knock my "K" bros. at heavyweight, than I am gonna ride Jones' ass at 175.... R.J. was clearly the best there at 175 from 1997 to 2003, but that's where the buck stops shittin'.... R.J.'s best opponents at 175 or close to that weight range was "Toney, Lou Del-Valle, Hill and Tarver." The rest of Jones' opponents / victims in that area were forgettable mothers...... BUT!!!! I'd be ballsy enough to rate Royal Jones in at # 10.....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Dominated the weight class for seven years and defeated McCallum, Hill, Griffin, Reggie Johnson, Harding, Gonzalez, Tarver, Trinidad and Lacy at the weight. Aswell as unifing the division.

I would like to hear your reasons on you rating Conn higher than him at 175lb.
Do you honestly believe naming a 40 year old, shot Mike McCallum, completely shot/blown-up Trinidad, the never-was Jeff Lacy and Julio Cesar Gonzalez helps your case in regards to Jones's resume at the weight? That's a sorry ass list outside of Hill, Griffin, and Tarver. Harding was a decent fighter, not much more.

Conn beat Fred Apostoli twice, Teddy Yarosz twice, Gus Lesnevitch twice, Solly Krieger, Al McCoy, Young Corbett III, Melio Bettina twice, Lee Savold, Henry Cooper, Bob Pastor, and was outboxing arguably the greatest HW of all time through 13 rounds before finally getting pasted. All of these fights occured while each fighter was either over the MW limit or Conn was under the LHW limit.

Last edited by Sweet Pea; 12-25-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #14
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'll give Jones some credit for beating McCallum by decision in 1996 on HBO....... Yeah, Ol' McCallum was age 39 and slipping, but he was still savy and a solid contender between 168 to 175 pounds.......

Let's not forget Royal Jones did foul out against Monty Griffin only to return and KO Griffin's ass in ONE round...... I never cared for Monty Griffin, and his wins over James Toney are suspect....... Both fights were dull, too......

As for Reggie Johnson in in 1999 / 2000, I'm not so impressed...... Reggie Johnson was a decent 175 pounder, but never a true or solid "A" player....... He was good enough to lose to greats like "Toney and Jones."

The worst guy Royal Jones beat was the cop---Richard Frazier........ Christ, HBO should be ashamed for airing that horseshit......

And Jones' PPV against Eric Harding took a shit at the box-office.........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #15
Bioyhh
Riot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
**** it......... Michael Spinks....... Spinks was champ at 175 and at 200+ pounds........ He barely tallied up 30 pro fights, but he has an amateur background too.......... Spinks is # 1 for me..... Plus, I favor him cuz he was champ in my golden yrs in high school........

# 2 is Bob Foster....... Foster was a murderer for anyone who fought between 160 to 175 pounds...... Foster really was only beatable when he fought above 179 pounds against bigger dudes who were able to handle his power....... Also, Foster was a serious bad-ass well into his later 30s....

# 3 is Archie Moore........ Moore was great, but tall boxers with speed, guile and power were normally able to out-finess him in a match...... But Moore sometimes got home with a punch of his own to end matters... Moore was great........

MR.BILL
I'll second that. Foster was just a stone-cold monster as a LHW. I'd loved watching his fights back in the day. I'll never forget when he flattened Mike Quarry. I thought Bob killed him.

1. Foster

2. Spinks

3. Charles

4. Moore
Bioyhh is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum