Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Who was the most complete Super Flyweight ever?

My quick thoughts are as follows. Galaxy got as far as he did through his strength and punching power, so wouldn't really be what I'd call a "complete fighter". A complete fighter to me was notable in their defense, offense, and the intangibles like punch resistance, punching power, and stamina would have to rate fairly highly too. For this reason, the same would apply for other great champions at this weight like Vic Darchinyan, Sung-Kil Moon, and Johnny Tapia, who really couldn't crack an egg, as good as he was in other areas.

I think it would be out of Gilberto Roman or Gerry Penalosa? People may frown upon Penalosa getting a mention, but I don't think the most complete fighters are always necessarily the best fighters and Gerry certainly fell short at being a great at 115lbs. However, he was a wonderful defensive fighter, with a wide repertoire of punches in his offense. Never off his feet as a professional, and had respectable power, more so than a Johnny Tapia.

Anyone strongly disagree with the pick?
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Who was the most complete Super Flyweight ever?

I didn't know Darchinyan was considered great yet.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Jiro Watanabe would be my pick.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Jiro Watanabe would be my pick.
No arguments here, he's just a fighter i haven't seen enough of to judge. But I'll be sure to check him out. Any of his notable performances on youtube?

..And Russell, thanks for addressing the thread question.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

At this weight I simply don't have the base of knowledge it would take to make a meaningful pick. It's a division I've followed on and off. I've seen a lot of Tapia and I think he's one of the more underrated fighters in a lot of ways. But I really can't make a call on this. I do love to see Gerry P get a mention, as always.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Watanabe or Roman for me and im edging to Watanabe just a well rounded stand up stylist with a dazzling array of punches and a well oiled offence as well as some slick defensive manuevers. However i have only seen 2 Watanabe fights and about 4 or 5 Roman fights.

Roman is very close IMO i would love to hear someones case to fully justify Watanabe over him.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
asero
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

penalosa..
asero is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My quick thoughts are as follows. Galaxy got as far as he did through his strength and punching power, so wouldn't really be what I'd call a "complete fighter". A complete fighter to me was notable in their defense, offense, and the intangibles like punch resistance, punching power, and stamina would have to rate fairly highly too. For this reason, the same would apply for other great champions at this weight like Vic Darchinyan, Sung-Kil Moon, and Johnny Tapia, who really couldn't crack an egg, as good as he was in other areas.

I think it would be out of Gilberto Roman or Gerry Penalosa? People may frown upon Penalosa getting a mention, but I don't think the most complete fighters are always necessarily the best fighters and Gerry certainly fell short at being a great at 115lbs. However, he was a wonderful defensive fighter, with a wide repertoire of punches in his offense. Never off his feet as a professional, and had respectable power, more so than a Johnny Tapia.

You underrate Tapias power, he definitly wasnt a puncher by any means but to say He couldnt crack an egg is well just inaccurate! He had enought to keep opponents honest . In fact he even kod a tought Cesar Soto at Feather(who went 12 with Naz).
Ill take my buddy Efren Chavez's word for it who fought Tapia to a draw in Tapias pro debut. Efren fought some good fighters and Sparred with the best world class 112-126Lbs from Mexico and LA,and he told me Tapia was a pretty decent puncher.

To answer your question though i think Mark Johnson is the fighter that had the whole package along with Tapia at JB.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

johhny tapia.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
stonehammerjack
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Jiro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stonehammerjack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum