Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Darchinyan vs Arbachakov Both Prime - How does it play out?

I'd love to hear how you guys see this matchup going.

I'm also hoping someone can talk about Arbachakov's career. He loses once to Sasakul then retires, why? He was only 30/31 yrs old.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Darchinyan vs Arbachakov Both Prime - How does it play out?

I think Arbachakov's poise was a lot more proven than Mijares's, and therefore I think he was capable of dealing with Darchinyan's power with a more level-headed and layed out tactical approach. I would see him beating Darchinyan about 8 or 9 out of 12 rounds, though he may get dropped or shook along the way.

He retired when he was already well on the downslide. Sasakul had just beaten him comprehensively in their rematch, a bout which clearly showcased how much he'd fallen off since just their last fight, which Yuri took by close, tactical decision. It was looking like he was starting to slip around the time of the first Sasakul fight, and by the second fight it had become clear.

Excellent fighter at his best. Great footwork and composure in the ring, whether under fire, on the frontfoot, or in ring centre. He was a very economic and well schooled boxer-puncher, one of the most textbook you'll ever see. Tended to coast a bit at times that allowed the scoring to be closer than it needed, his only real weakness I'd say. He was very sound and determined, but not altogether aggressive enough at times. Great technical chops, though.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Thanks alot for your responce man.

I guess some guys, especially smaller ones, peak quicker. Plus he had a pretty extensive amateur backround, much more successful than Vic's.

How was Yuri's punching power btw?
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Thanks alot for your responce man.

I guess some guys, especially smaller ones, peak quicker. Plus he had a pretty extensive amateur backround, much more successful than Vic's.

How was Yuri's punching power btw?
He wasn't particularly standout in any area, but he was good to very good in the majority. I'd say he had more than satisfactory punching power. Excellent timing and combination punching to enhance the effect.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
HyperBone
Silverback Gorilla
ESB Addict

i see arbachakov edging darchinyan in a close yet clear decision. he was a brilliant technical fighter in his prime, and also has good power, so he wasnt gonna get laid out like mijares.
HyperBone is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
jont
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think that Sasakul doesnt get any credit for his defeat of Yuri...their first fight was a close affair and Chatchai improved and showed his speed and smarts in the rematch and then did well until Manny caught up with him late in their fight to lose the title...his career was frozen out after that but he could have been one of the best flyweights of that era.......
jont is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jont View Post
I think that Sasakul doesnt get any credit for his defeat of Yuri...their first fight was a close affair and Chatchai improved and showed his speed and smarts in the rematch and then did well until Manny caught up with him late in their fight to lose the title...his career was frozen out after that but he could have been one of the best flyweights of that era.......
Definitely. Sasakul was an excellent technician. He was really making a monkey out of Manny before he started coasting a bit too early in their fight, which lead to him taking a few too many power shots and eventually getting caught with a zinger that ended matters.

Arbachakov was noticably on the decline by the point Sasakul beat him, though. That was evident in a few of his other bouts around that time period, not just the Sasakul fights themselves. The first fight was a great technical affair, and a very closely contested one. By the time of the second fight, Yuri just couldn't play the ring general or pull the trigger like he used to, and Sasakul won a wide decision as a result.

I agree that he gets overlooked, for the most part because of his loss to Pacquiao in a fight most haven't seen. He was really a very well schooled Thai stylist.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pea, coincidentally I've been watching some Arbachakov and am really impressed. I'm not an expert on his opponents though. Where do you rate this guy historically within his division?
natonic is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
Pea, coincidentally I've been watching some Arbachakov and am really impressed. I'm not an expert on his opponents though. Where do you rate this guy historically within his division?
Flyweight is a very stacked division historically, so it's hard to say. I think he'd have given a good account of himself against pretty much any Flyweight there's ever been in a series of at least two fights. He was just that kind of quintessential technician and competitor. Slicksters like Canto and Zapata would've given him fits, guys like Chitalada and McGowan, Alfonso Lopez, etc. I think his very calm, calculated approach would actualy cost him in bouts with that type of slickster who wouldn't allow him to play ring general or build up a rhythm. He put on steady pressure, but more was usually needed to beat that type and class of fighter. Just bad stylistic matchups for Yuri.

I could definitely see him pulling off at least a win in two fights with th aforementioned Chitalada, McGowan, Lopez, etc. It's very possible he could get to Zapata at some point with a well placed left hook or straight right hand as well. I figure Canto would have his timing down the majority of the time and cleanly outbox him, though.

Guys like Ebihara, Ohba, Chionoi, Gonzalez, etc would've all made for excellent bouts, most of which I'd say Yuri was capable of winning but wouldn't outright favor him to. He was on par with the best fighters to ever fight in the division, he just had certain guys who I believe would've had his number stylistically. A conservative estimate would have him somewhere in the latter half of the top 10 among modern Flyweight greats.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum