Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default What are you supposed to do when...

you cant find a decent coach who will take an interest in you and WANT to help you improve??

I had it all in the first boxing club i was in(Philadelphia, USA), the coach i had made me become so passionate about boxing and hungry to learn and improve, unfortunitly that was for a very brief period and in another country.I came home joined the college boxing club, with a coach that is super experienced but is only there for the pay cheque, doesnt give a shit about the fighters he has, and does very little to help them improve.

I left the boxing club in the college and went to a local one, and i just felt it was the same old storey, it seems where i live (Ireland) no matter where you go your damaged goods if your are over 18 and looking to learn the sport properly. Ive spared lots of times but have lost my heart for boxing, i dont see the point in the hard work and the sacrafice to be getting little to no coaching and having to spar people with years more experience then me. I duno why im posting this, but its how im feelng at the moment.
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
gatto
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: What are you supposed to do when...

can do 4 training sessions a month? and just work on your own

Last edited by gatto; 12-27-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: not on your own ask ur team for tips
gatto is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

you maintain tunnel vision and take your own training into your own hands until you get good enough and are persistant enough to interest someone.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

how old are you?
cheech is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Pay someone the doe and they will invest the time, find a boxing personal trainer.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
how old are you?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Just remember this is reality, not Rocky. Micky doesn't exist. You either serve your time like everyone else or find a personal trainer its that simple.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Just remember this is reality, not Rocky. Micky doesn't exist. You either serve your time like everyone else or find a personal trainer its that simple.
Im not trying to be Rocky, just would like a decent trainer hardly living in a fantasy land with that request although im startin to think i am. I dont have the money to be paying for a personal trainer suppose il just keep training as i am and reading off ESB seems to be the best thing i can do at the moment.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Johnson View Post
Im not trying to be Rocky, just would like a decent trainer hardly living in a fantasy land with that request although im startin to think i am. I dont have the money to be paying for a personal trainer suppose il just keep training as i am and reading off ESB seems to be the best thing i can do at the moment.
Wasn't been rude pal, but would you spend your time training some random for nothing?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
CrocodileFace
Journeyman

Jack.... I am from Philly and train here still. I know this isnt related to your post but what gym did you fight out of?

As for finding a good trainer who wants YOU to improve. I got lucky in philly too and have stuck with my first and only trainer. He only looks out for me and to better me as a fight. The best advice i can give on that is to try an find a trainer you are comfortable with. And talk to him about it, tell him what you want... You should be able to work together.
CrocodileFace is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

bro I feel ur pain... I'm 24 now, started aged 22.

get in the damn gym every day and work ur ass off. if people aren't paying attention them make them pay attention. it might take 3 months it might take 6. but eventually people will see you in the gym and give u "the nod" and ur trainer will start helping u out more and more.
dfh85 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

Quote:
Wasn't been rude pal, but would you spend your time training some random for nothing?
I thought the reason why people coach any sport is for the shear enjoyment they get out of teaching people and watching them improve, why else would they do it? thats the way it was with the club i was in in the states, trainer saw me bustin my balls every day and helped me loads. The trainer i had here also saw me bustin my balls training and gave me a little help but in general he gave nobody much help, and when i asked him for help he wasnt bothered. By the way im not trying to be a smart arse especally to someone who is as experienced and knowledegable as yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileFace View Post
Jack.... I am from Philly and train here still. I know this isnt related to your post but what gym did you fight out of?

As for finding a good trainer who wants YOU to improve. I got lucky in philly too and have stuck with my first and only trainer. He only looks out for me and to better me as a fight. The best advice i can give on that is to try an find a trainer you are comfortable with. And talk to him about it, tell him what you want... You should be able to work together.
CrocodileFace i was training in Manayunk Boxing Club, you know it? where do you train? Maybe its just Phily they have all the good trainers , but i got great coaching there and my trainer there was real good.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
CrocodileFace
Journeyman

I fight out of happy Hollow. It's in north philly, the bad lands lol. I do know the Manayunk Boxing club. What made you do the stint over in philly?
CrocodileFace is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

I dont know there. I looked into a few boxing clubs while i was over in Phily. I was working in a bar downtown for the summer and needed something other then boozing to do. Might be heading back there at some stage so if i do il be straight back to Manayunk!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Dan
BiG DaN
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
micky had no time for rocky...this is just like rocky but its unlikely that theres an apollo creed out there that will challenge this dude
Dan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing