Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-30-2007, 04:42 AM   #16
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jermaine" BAD HABITS" Taylor got KO'd! why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71
Whether the scores were exactly right or wrong in the 2 Hopkins fights,
B-hop never came close to starching Taylor.

Pavlik knocked him frigging out.

Has Taylor gone backwards since his winning the Title.
Hopkins lacks Pavlik's power and was simply too drained at middleweight to sustain the workrate to grind him down. Hopkins workrate against Wright was suprising and shows how making 160lbs effected him.

I think Taylor has declined since winning the title. He was always technically rough around the edges and made many defensive errors but he has done nothing to correct that. He was able to be competitive with Hopkins by outjabbing him and keeping Hopkins at his range. But he now too often negates his advantages in height, speed and reach. His performance against Ouma was shocking. While he was always in control he looked like a novice the way he loaded up on so many wild punches.
Brighton bomber is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 AM   #17
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
I said I was taking Pavlik because Taylor keeps that left hand so low. Someone said to me then "I have never seen Taylor drop his left hand"....think they noticed it tonight?
well i was more worried when he threw a left hand he seemed to drop the right down to his hip

now when you got a low left hand and a low right hand+facing a big big puncher=
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #18
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition_Def
Yea but you gotta say that Pavlik has a good chance at dropping Calzaghe. Kessler is far more responsible defensively so I'm not sure there. But yea Calzage is known to get wild sometimes.

This fight wouldn't look anything like the Lacy fight. No short left hooks to dodge this time. That right hand would be coming from a long ways away.
when has calzaghe been wild?

he drops his arms or throw the sweep when he is way way away.

calzaghe is damn good defencivly always stays smart and has never put danger to his king.

anyways pavliks defence and foreward coming style will be the end of him i tell ya.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 04:59 AM   #19
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I am amazed. I watched as many of Taylors fights as I could and felt certain anyone with any brains would do the simplest of things LIFT THE LEFT HAND. It was a repeated flaw but I thought it would have been a focus in disussions during his camp. Alas not, like I said, I am amazed.
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:09 AM   #20
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." Sun Tzu

I said this before the fight and its what i based my prediction on. You can't go into a training camp for a big fight looking to correct all your bad habbits. you have to have them fixed before you go into the camp so you can focus on how you are going to break your opponent down so you can enter the fight calm and confident. Taylor has heart but he wasn't confident in his victory so he made a nervous start and got too excited when he got pavlik hurt. He used up too much energy and then when he got tired he reverted back to leaning too far forward and dropping his hands. And then got caught by the wrong guy.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #21
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by at1
Why because he had bad habits and Manny steward did not fix them. Honestly JT doesnt listen Manny tells him good stuff but they need a middle man because for some reason JT doesnt understand what manny is saying thats his JOB to Train him to his ears but he has done a PISS POOR JOB from now on jermaine will not have "BAD Intentions" But more "BAD habits" But i will quote manny on this from Hopkins vs Tarver " And mentally i dont think he will be able to hold up to other fighters" Taylor does not seem that mentally tuff and i think he is Sattered as a Man and as a Person this has effected him deeply i dont think i remmber ever seeing a fighter look so mentally shot so early after a fight...
JT sounded like a broken man in the post fight interview. He's made plenty of money and his head doesn't seem to be there anymore, maybe he should retire before he gets hurt.
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #22
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgetic
I am amazed. I watched as many of Taylors fights as I could and felt certain anyone with any brains would do the simplest of things LIFT THE LEFT HAND. It was a repeated flaw but I thought it would have been a focus in disussions during his camp. Alas not, like I said, I am amazed.
When you get tired you revert to whatever habits are most engrained. Thinking about something takes effort thus if you have to think about something it takes effort to do but anything that is instinctive you do without effort and therefore do when you are tired. If you make holding your hand up a priority in one camp, as taylor did, by the end of the camp you will hold your hand up by thought and not by instinct because it takes more then one camp to make something instinct. Thus it was an inevitability that eventually taylor would get tired, drop his hands and get caught.

While I'm in the quoting mood Ali said it best, you can play other sports but nobody plays boxing. Well the last couple of years taylor has been playing boxing and he just paid for it.

Its too bad. I like him a lot cause he's a straight up dude.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:21 AM   #23
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
when has calzaghe been wild?

he drops his arms or throw the sweep when he is way way away.

calzaghe is damn good defencivly always stays smart and has never put danger to his king.

anyways pavliks defence and foreward coming style will be the end of him i tell ya.
He was wild against Mitchell and got caught by a punch that that would KO almost anyone else cold. He was also very wild and sloppy in the second Veit fight. He does have a tendency to stand and trade too often but his chin and ability to overwhelm fighters with his aggression and workrate have saved him when he does get sloppy.

I agree Pavlik is good at what he does but much like Taylor he has many technical flaws which against a quality boxer will be his undoing. Also as he moves up in weight his advantages in size strength and power will also become less of a factor.
Brighton bomber is online now  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #24
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1punch1nder
taylor got no stamina.
Yeah I wonder if his camps knows something to this affect because they've been trying to get him out the division for a while know.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #25
Coast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
I said I was taking Pavlik because Taylor keeps that left hand so low. Someone said to me then "I have never seen Taylor drop his left hand"....think they noticed it tonight?
Wondering when people will point out Pavlik made the exact same mistake. He never would have been dropped if he didn't bring his left back so low in the 2nd. Taylor hit him with an overhand right that he would have blocked if his left wasn't on his hip.

Pavlik has tons of potential, but he needs a world class trainer and better sparing partners. Loyalty is admirable, but his part time trainer/full time concrete paver has shown him as much as he can.
Coast is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:35 AM   #26
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast
Wondering when people will point out Pavlik made the exact same mistake. He never would have been dropped if he didn't bring his left back so low in the 2nd. Taylor hit him with an overhand right that he would have blocked if his left wasn't on his hip.

Pavlik has tons of potential, but he needs a world class trainer and better sparing partners. Loyalty is admirable, but his part time trainer/full time concrete paver has shown him as much as he can.
Hum, I don't know I think he's got what he's got and he's going to have to live with it. He's a gun slinger and thats what he's going to have to be for now.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:43 AM   #27
Chert
Ringside Potato
ESB Addict

well, this is one case where power, pressure, and heart can overcome superior boxing skills. i guess we will be seeing a lot of this in the upcoming big fights.
Chert is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #28
booklord
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Taylor's was by far the faster fighter and he can fight going backwards. Pavlik who is known for his accuracy missed with a lot of punches last night and seemed to take the worst of it whenever he backed Taylor into the corner. If it wasn't for the sheer volume of punches that Pavlik throws he would have been getting creamed on the compubox numbers. When they were fighting it out Taylor had the advantage and if the fight had gone on that way Taylor would of and should of won.

But in the later rounds Pavlik adjusted his technique and started relying more on his jab. Meanwhile Taylor was tiring himself out a lot faster than Pavlik was. (which is remarkable given the pounding Pavlik took in the 2nd) In the late rounds Pavlik started landing his jab at will. Anyone who has watched Pavlik fight knows his most devastating combo is his left jab followed by a straight right. It took down Miranda and it took down Taylor.

Oddball as it might seem once they started boxing Pavlik had the advantage because Taylor either from lack of stanima or just never having faced a bigger fighter had no answer for that jab. And behind that jab was Pavlik's right just waiting for the opportunity to do some damage.
booklord is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #29
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pavlik can become better...and my fellow posters have pointed out some of the areas. Better use of his jab, maybe more experience in his corner, shoring up the defense, not moving up to SuperMiddle just yet, etc.

No, he will never be a Carlos Monzon, but he is a good solid fighter with a lot of heart, and provides excitement.

Most Challengers improve 15 % when they become the Champ just on attitude alone.

Let's match him with the rest of the top challengers at MW, maybe do a Taylor rematch, and enjoy his reign no matter how long.

He is good for boxing.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #30
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I watched the fight again this morning. Seems Taylor is just not in the proper condition. He has excellent skills and speed, just doesnt see right hands to well, but all that could have been offset if he was in better condition to fight the type of fight everyone knew Pavlik would be bringing. It seemed after the second round he completely shot his load and became slower and weaker.
My suggestion is he get some real good gym fights like Im sure Pavlik has had to prepare him for a more grueling fight. Taylor to me still has more skills, its just his will was broken by a hungrier better condtioned fighter.
lefthook31 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum