Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #46
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jermaine" BAD HABITS" Taylor got KO'd! why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by at1
Why because he had bad habits and Manny steward did not fix them. Honestly JT doesnt listen Manny tells him good stuff but they need a middle man because for some reason JT doesnt understand what manny is saying thats his JOB to Train him to his ears but he has done a PISS POOR JOB from now on jermaine will not have "BAD Intentions" But more "BAD habits" But i will quote manny on this from Hopkins vs Tarver " And mentally i dont think he will be able to hold up to other fighters" Taylor does not seem that mentally tuff and i think he is Sattered as a Man and as a Person this has effected him deeply i dont think i remmber ever seeing a fighter look so mentally shot so early after a fight...

I thought Pavlik was going to win simply because the flaws in Taylor's style play into Pavlik's strength. The worst time to drop your guard is when you are facing an opponent who can punch and who throws lots of them. Granted, Taylor has faster hands and would likely have won the fight on points if it had gone the distance, but he doesn't box well enough to avoid getting hit. The worst thing you can do is trade punches with a puncher, but that is what Taylor was doing. The reality is Pavlik was going to knock him out just as soon as he caught him with a solid hit.
ralphc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #47
DoumB
HOYA KO1 PRESSCOT
ESB Senior Member

Good fight nonethe less
DoumB is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #48
Club Fighter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Bronx, New York, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way
vCash: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphc
I thought Pavlik was going to win simply because the flaws in Taylor's style play into Pavlik's strength. The worst time to drop your guard is when you are facing an opponent who can punch and who throws lots of them. Granted, Taylor has faster hands and would likely have won the fight on points if it had gone the distance, but he doesn't box well enough to avoid getting hit. The worst thing you can do is trade punches with a puncher, but that is what Taylor was doing. The reality is Pavlik was going to knock him out just as soon as he caught him with a solid hit.
Nice avatar.
Club Fighter is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #49
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
Two reasons...and two big mistakes he makes.. One. the damned left hand in the pocket with his head and body hunched forward that irritates the all shit out of me. Two.....and this is what I realized finally is the key to all of his problems.and why with his Power.., yes he does have power....he has not been able to KO any damned body. He is by far and in-between the worst finisher in the sport of boxing. Watching that second round is like a mystery inside of a enigma. Pavlik did nothing to avoid the onslaught but grab hold of Taylor weakly twice which gained him two 20 sec rests. While Taylor having his man ready to go or at least could of beaten him with unanswered shots until the ref called it off....just ...sat there and waited for the ref to break the clinch..twice...Taylor has a mental block that prevents his success. It was an easy win for him in the 2nd round, he made it a hard loss due to his mental state.
I mean whatd you expect, everyone knew his flaws, and it showed in the fight. Fact is he just got by, and like i stated before the reason why he didnt face big punchers was because he was open to get caught by a puncher and was gonna be laid out, which was exactly what happened.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #50
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
For short..Chad Dawson is not the retard..JT is the retard..Chad knows how to finish his man...Does Manny even train JT how to finish a guy off. I mean, I think he missed that meeting. If a guy hurt clinches you on wobbly legs you push the shit out of there ass and get aggressive physically. JT is an idiot. In close Pavlik would beat him upside his head and JT did nothing back..He cant fight on the inside. Manny is all wrong for JT..Manny cant train any of his fighters to do anything on the inside but hold. JT is a retard. I am sorry.
Wrong. Thing is... While JT is faster, speed wastes energy, and since hes not a big puncher, he had to throw alotta punches in bunches, thats why he was so spent. I mean JT couldnt stop Ouma, who was right in front of him, and couldnt stop Spinks who was stoppped by Judah at welter. So, the fact is JT is not a finisher by any means, and thats something that isnt learned since he can never do it anyway.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #51
Coast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_money
Hum, I don't know I think he's got what he's got and he's going to have to live with it. He's a gun slinger and thats what he's going to have to be for now.
I'm not talking about turning him into Pernell Whitaker, I'm talking about the type of simple adjustments that a top trainer can make (if a fighter listens and applies it). How many "undisputed" or linear champions can you name who have a trainer who lays concrete for a living.

Everyone keeps focusing on the mistakes JT made and are ignoring the mistakes KP makes, the assumption being Taylor could have fought a much better fight and Pavlik couldn't. With better training and sparing partners Pavlik could be much better.

Yes he's got what he's got and he's going to have to live with it. Which is much more talent and boxing ability than people give him credit for. I will agree with you that until he get's a better trainer he will still take way more shots than he has too.
Coast is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #52
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Fighter
Rumor has it that Jermain had an enormous amount of cash money riding on Pavlik to win the fight. Now I'm not saying that played a role on how the second round played out but, hey, you never know.

where'd ya hear this?
o_money is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #53
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgetic
I am amazed. I watched as many of Taylors fights as I could and felt certain anyone with any brains would do the simplest of things LIFT THE LEFT HAND. It was a repeated flaw but I thought it would have been a focus in disussions during his camp. Alas not, like I said, I am amazed.
I couldn't agree with you more. Im highly dissapointed, that dispite Manny Stewards promises of them working out all these bad habits he formed recent as a pro, he performed the same mistakes he has made in his past few fights. Even Emmanuel Steward stated in the press conference prior to the fight "no more of this or this for Jermain" as he imitaded someone limping backwards with their left hand to their hip.

Lennox Lewis pointed out all of Jermains defensive flaws throughout the fight. The question is when you have that much time to work out these issues and hours and hours in the gym and watching tapes, why, i say why would you perform the same mistakes over and over again? Why keep going to the ropes, why stay in front of the guy and why keep your left low?

All the respect to Pavlik; he showed the heart of a champion, mental toughness, and the consistency needed to win the fight. I take nothing away from him.

What is next for Jermain? My concern before this bout was that Jermain in the past has shown to be uncoachable in certain instances, where he doesnt listen to Emmanuel. I have further concerns that he may be one of those guys that when they are in the ring, they just flip a switch and all training and other advice given to them goes out the window and they end up doing what they do, regardless. How he bounces back from this loss will really show whether he was a fluke champion or a true champion. If he is a true champion, he will have to come back fight and not make those mistakes he made in this bout, even if he losses, he will earn credit if he looks good and doesn't make those common mistakes in boxing; low left, going back to the ropes, throw looping punches.
bachatu is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum