Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
15Rounds

vCash: 1000
Default Standing 8 Count and Possible Rematch

I'm a big Pavlik fan and think he's great for boxing but Taylor also earned my respect not only for his fighting but his class he showed in the post-fight interview.

I noticed several threads on pre-mature stoppages. First of all, can someone please explain the current rules regarding standing 8 counts? When Pavlik quickly got up off the canvas did the ref go ahead and count to 8? Did he have to do this or could he have quickly wiped the gloves, looked into Pavlik's eyes to make sure Pavlik could continue and continued the fight?

Also, was there a certain point when Pavlik had Taylor hurt in the corner that the ref could have jumped in and issued a standing 8? I had also wondered if the ref could have ruled a knockdown if he had thought that the ring ropes/post were holding Taylor up. I think of a similar ruling back in the Cooper/Holyfield fight that probably saved Holyfield from being stopped.

And as far as a rematch is concerned, I would like to see Taylor first have to fight Miranda or another strong puncher to be fair. I wonder if Pavlik will get to fight a lesser opponent since he's had some tough wars in recent fights not that Pavlik is looking to dodge anyone. I just want him to have a long career.
15Rounds is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Standing 8 Count and Possible Rematch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Rounds
I'm a big Pavlik fan and think he's great for boxing but Taylor also earned my respect not only for his fighting but his class he showed in the post-fight interview.

I noticed several threads on pre-mature stoppages. First of all, can someone please explain the current rules regarding standing 8 counts? When Pavlik quickly got up off the canvas did the ref go ahead and count to 8? Did he have to do this or could he have quickly wiped the gloves, looked into Pavlik's eyes to make sure Pavlik could continue and continued the fight?

Also, was there a certain point when Pavlik had Taylor hurt in the corner that the ref could have jumped in and issued a standing 8? I had also wondered if the ref could have ruled a knockdown if he had thought that the ring ropes/post were holding Taylor up. I think of a similar ruling back in the Cooper/Holyfield fight that probably saved Holyfield from being stopped.

And as far as a rematch is concerned, I would like to see Taylor first have to fight Miranda or another strong puncher to be fair. I wonder if Pavlik will get to fight a lesser opponent since he's had some tough wars in recent fights not that Pavlik is looking to dodge anyone. I just want him to have a long career.
they actually had the standing 8 count in effect? that is strange i doubt that. A standing 8 count is when you are hurt but dont fall down and basically the ref gives you a break. Its what thy do in the amatures and it is very gay.
bigeddie27 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
15Rounds

I don't know if they had the Standing 8 Count in effect and if they did I obviously don't know the rules.
15Rounds is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

No standing eight count was in effect, and after a knock down refs always count to eight to observe the fighter.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Refs always count to 8 to observe the fighter. Happens in every fight. The reason Taylor was stopped is that he was taking too many punches. Had he gone down he would have had a chance to get up but he only went down after Smoger stopped the fight.

Stading counts are for amateur boxing. We could also say, would Pavlik have won if they were wearing head gear but again that's amateur boxing not pro boxing.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
venbox
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Standing 8 counts only apply if the referee thinks that the ropes or the corner have prevented a fighter from falling to the canvas. If that's not the case, referees can only break the action to stop the fight, the can not stop the action to give a hurt (but still standing) fighter a break. After any KD, an 8 count is mandatory, and it will eventually get to 10 if the knowked down fighter isnt able to stand up. Those are the rules used in every single championship fight (they call them "Unified Rules")
venbox is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum