Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-03-2010, 05:53 AM   #16
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Am I wrong or not?

All I want to say is, follow the rules enough to make them happy and do your own thing at the same time. Trainers only want whats best for you and your only key to being a better fighter. Don't bite the hands that feed you.

Think of it like this, while ali had two trainers at once during his younger years, do you think a prospect with that kind of respect would be keeping his hands down in front of a power hitters of those days?

I'm sure he listened to their advice, reaped the rewards then did his own thing when he was good enough to justify it(when he was ready).
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #17
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
All I want to say is, follow the rules enough to make them happy and do your own thing at the same time. Trainers only want whats best for you and your only key to being a better fighter. Don't bite the hands that feed you.

Think of it like this, while ali had two trainers at once during his younger years, do you think that kind of prospect would be keeping his hands down in front of a power hitter?

I'm sure he listened to their advice then did his own thing when he was ready.
And also good trainers will recognize potential and what works and what doesnt. I saw an interview with dundee he was saying how flawed Ali was technically he did everything wrong. But Dundee also realised that it worked for him, for that individual.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #18
Silent_Assassin
Lightning
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 690

Well Im boxing with the Tiberi's in Delaware(since thats where im from)who are the boxing family of this little state so I should be koo....
Silent_Assassin is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #19
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

absolutely nothing wrong with pot shotting like floyd. in fact i would advise most to do it. it's the safest approach. he hits without getting hit. HOWEVER what i would not advise you to do is never open up or step up your work. floyd totally breaks guys down but still doesn't step it up, open up with both hands or go for the finish.

pot shotting is fine if you want to copy that aspect of his game. if you just try to imitate him you'll come up stuck because you aren't actually him.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
absolutely nothing wrong with pot shotting like floyd. in fact i would advise most to do it. it's the safest approach. he hits without getting hit. HOWEVER what i would not advise you to do is never open up or step up your work. floyd totally breaks guys down but still doesn't step it up, open up with both hands or go for the finish.

pot shotting is fine if you want to copy that aspect of his game. if you just try to imitate him you'll come up stuck because you aren't actually him.
I think you're missing the point achilles, this style is absolutely useless in amateur ranks. Over 12 rounds its great because it can save energy and time and can be masterly effective, over 3... Yeh I doubt you'll do well waiting to land one punch every 20 seconds.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #21
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

^^^ that and pot shotting assumes you have a belly full of experience to choose your shots so wisely. An amatuer pot shotter against a brawling 6 punch combo amatuer fighter is a scary thought in my opinion.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #22
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Potshotting in amateurs isn't going to get you anywhere... Anyways... since you just started obviously you're going to think you can do things that you can't. Spar first and see how that goes.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
pretty boy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 673

You dont have the experience and that is not criticism but just the truth. I have practiced floyds style and there is nothing wrong with wanting to learn as you can learn alot from watchin him. Learn the basics first. Find out what your gud at and what style suits you. Once you master the basics and have a year ot two experience then try and learn it. Also watch other fighters as well and take different things from different fighters. By the way potshoton isnt great in the amateurs. It suits a slower pace while the amateurs is fast paced.
pretty boy is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #24
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Everyone wants to box like floyd but they arn't him, everyone has a go at all the fancy tricks and fair enough but you'll learn what works best for you. I lost my first fight last month and what I learned more than anything was to go back to the basics and stick to all the fundamentals that you are first taught until you learn what works for you in competition.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #25
KTFO

vCash:

Why tf would you be a tool of a trainer when you know that you don't feel comfortable performing that style? Doesn't make sense and the results are doomed to fail.
Cheers
Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #26
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
I think you're missing the point achilles, this style is absolutely useless in amateur ranks. Over 12 rounds its great because it can save energy and time and can be masterly effective, over 3... Yeh I doubt you'll do well waiting to land one punch every 20 seconds.
i haven't missed the point at all.

go watch one of the best amateurs to ever do it in mario kindelan and then come back to me and tell me is useless.

too many amateurs think its about letting their hands go and kindelan made khan look foolish because of that very approach.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #27
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Quote:

go watch one of the best amateurs to ever do it in mario kindelan and then come back to me and tell me is useless.

too many amateurs think its about letting their hands go and kindelan made khan look foolish because of that very approach.
And you can attest that he had that style for most of his amateur career.

No doubt he would have a massive resume. But you can't tell me this style is great for amateurs cos it isn't.

Just watched video of mario, he is a beast but really one in a million... and he's Cuban so of course he's awesome.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #28
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Lets be realisitic here, he's a 30 yr old veteren with over 350+ wins in the cuban talent pools. He's refined and wise enough to be able to affectively pot shot his way to a win through experience.

This bloke is a 21 yr old who is just starting out. Not good plan to work out pot shotting at this stage of experience when you you'll have guys swinging over 6 punches in flurries. The smart ruler approach to fighting is found through experience but by all means if you want to punch like mayweather, practise your punches as much as he does.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #29
KTFO

vCash:

The problem's that amateur rules could require other style than pro rules. Hence a successful amateur boxer could be doomed to fail if he decides to go pro without changing style. But it's kinda hard cause you got used to it.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
And you can attest that he had that style for most of his amateur career.

No doubt he would have a massive resume. But you can't tell me this style is great for amateurs cos it isn't.

Just watched video of mario, he is a beast but really one in a million... and he's Cuban so of course he's awesome.
It doesn't matter if he had that style for most of his career. Pot shotting is possible to the highest level. If this is what the guy wants to do, already does and can find success with it then he should. If he comes back saying he is not scoring enough I will say let your hands go more. Fact is, pot shotting is very safe. You've just got to keep your wits about you because you can't lose track of the scoring. Kindelan would win rounds by 1 point but stay calm and composed.

We might be talking to the next Floyd Jr, I dunno. Boxers on here are creating their own style and I am telling them what works and doesn't work. I strongly suggest people try pot shotting.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing