Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #31
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Am I wrong or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Lets be realisitic here, he's a 30 yr old veteren with over 350+ wins in the cuban talent pools. He's refined and wise enough to be able to affectively pot shot his way to a win through experience.

This bloke is a 21 yr old who is just starting out. Not good plan to work out pot shotting at this stage of experience when you you'll have guys swinging over 6 punches in flurries. The smart ruler approach to fighting is found through experience but by all means if you want to punch like mayweather, practise your punches as much as he does.
You can generalise your advice for people. Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. In this case I feel it is best that I don't.

This guy is clearly moulding his own style. I strongly suggest he trys potshotting. Once he does he can come back to us with his success be it good or bad and then I will give him new advice.

This guy might try it in sparring, lose 3 amateur fights, hate the typical amateur system, want to turn pro and then find huge success with it. This guy might have fast hands. Again, who knows. I advise everyone to try pot shotting.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #32
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

It is also important to note that the amateurs are three 3 minute rounds which makes it much more realistic. Less rounds so they should still be like buzz saws but guys can't blow their load of 80 seconds knowing they can rest in 40 more seconds (for example).
Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #33
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For a second, I thought he meant he wanted to fight Lekai Mayweather, haha.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2010, 03:16 AM   #34
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
It doesn't matter if he had that style for most of his career. Pot shotting is possible to the highest level. If this is what the guy wants to do, already does and can find success with it then he should. If he comes back saying he is not scoring enough I will say let your hands go more. Fact is, pot shotting is very safe. You've just got to keep your wits about you because you can't lose track of the scoring. Kindelan would win rounds by 1 point but stay calm and composed.

We might be talking to the next Floyd Jr, I dunno. Boxers on here are creating their own style and I am telling them what works and doesn't work. I strongly suggest people try pot shotting.
It does matter, because that may be his style he made for himself not copied off anyone. And he is a massive veteran, I think he just started getting smarted rather than becoming a pot shot style boxer.

I highly doubt it. PBF been boxing since when? 7 years of age? I strongly suggest learn how to master the basics before making master mistakes in master styles.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #35
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Boxing rounds are 3 x 2 min if im not mistaken.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #36
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
Boxing rounds are 3 x 2 min if im not mistaken.
They are 3x3 in the UK now and I'm sure that has been rolled out internationally.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #37
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
It does matter, because that may be his style he made for himself not copied off anyone. And he is a massive veteran, I think he just started getting smarted rather than becoming a pot shot style boxer.

I highly doubt it. PBF been boxing since when? 7 years of age? I strongly suggest learn how to master the basics before making master mistakes in master styles.
It's the style of the entire cuban team. The brits worked extensively with the cuban team a few years ago to adopt their style and have done very well with it. So it is the chosen style of the two of the most successful amateur squads.

Pot shotting actually instils better technique and fundamentals then really high work rate, letting your hands go loads etc Pot shotting is about clean, efficient and effective single movements. Once that is established, you can work from there in punching in 2s and 3s at the right time. While pot shotting you are forced to use good footwork and good defence.

Unfortunately in amateur boxing, if you let your hands go 4 times, you don't get scored 4 punches. Pot shotters like the UK and GB team are scoring less but confident in the fact that when they shoot they will score.

Pot shotting certainly isn't a master style. I'm just given you the tope examples like Mayweather and Kindelan because these are the sort of guys we should aspire to be like - the best. Just because they fight like that does not mean the style is completely unachievable for mere mortals. It is still a style I strongly recommend trying.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #38
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
It's the style of the entire cuban team. The brits worked extensively with the cuban team a few years ago to adopt their style and have done very well with it. So it is the chosen style of the two of the most successful amateur squads.

Pot shotting actually instils better technique and fundamentals then really high work rate, letting your hands go loads etc Pot shotting is about clean, efficient and effective single movements. Once that is established, you can work from there in punching in 2s and 3s at the right time. While pot shotting you are forced to use good footwork and good defence.

Unfortunately in amateur boxing, if you let your hands go 4 times, you don't get scored 4 punches. Pot shotters like the UK and GB team are scoring less but confident in the fact that when they shoot they will score.

Pot shotting certainly isn't a master style. I'm just given you the tope examples like Mayweather and Kindelan because these are the sort of guys we should aspire to be like - the best. Just because they fight like that does not mean the style is completely unachievable for mere mortals. It is still a style I strongly recommend trying.
Thats a good point, the whole introduction of that computerized points system was to clean up and emphisize technical aspects of the sport.

The bloke can do what he wants and at the end of the day only knows himself what is best for him.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #39
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
They are 3x3 in the UK now and I'm sure that has been rolled out internationally.
We're still fighting 2 minute rounds in Doucheland.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #40
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Good point. For a combination you get just as much (or little) credit as for a single shot.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #41
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Even in the senior novice 10 fights and under championships in England, It was 3 x 2 minute rounds this season and 4 2's in the under 20's.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #42
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

5 months training homie ?

Hell yeah mayweather that ass homie !!! Do that shit !!

put him on his face or his back they going out one way or another yo !!
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #43
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
We're still fighting 2 minute rounds in Doucheland.
That's why Mousasi moved from boxing to other MMA because boxing isn't big enough over there.

3x3 should eventually me widely adopted. I'm sure it has been for international competition. The British team are training for 3x3.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #44
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Round Duration - Boxers will box 3 x 2 minute rounds and males may box 4 x 2 minute rounds or 3 x 3 minute rounds by agreement. Females may box 4 x 2 minute rounds by agreement. In Open Championships and Internationals, males will box 3 x 3 minute rounds and females 4 x 2 minute rounds. In every case there will be an interval of one minute between rounds.

Eventually amateur should completely move to 3x3. This is brillant news.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #45
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
That's why Mousasi moved from boxing to other MMA because boxing isn't big enough over there.

3x3 should eventually me widely adopted. I'm sure it has been for international competition. The British team are training for 3x3.
He could have just boxed in Germany, because MMA is even smaller. Boxing is big enough actually, just not at the top level for guys like him.

It may also depend on the class, novice is 3x2 of that I am at least certain.
RDJ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing