Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
ben1990
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Feeling Strange after sparring...

I went to a different club today and I had a gym war I guess you could say with a few of a guys I sparred with. In one round in particular I took a few good shots to the noggin. I never lost my legs or anything like that, they were good shots you know? But often times after this sparring session and others like it I often feel a tad woozy in the head. Its hard to describe there is really no pain in my head. Its like it feels "tired"... I guess thats the best word I can come up with. I am unsure if this is because I am just tired from the workout, didn't drink enough water, getting hit in the head or it could be a combination of them all I guess.

I'm assuming this isn't a problem is it? I have always suspected that if it was a concussion or something I would have actual pain in my head.
ben1990 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Feeling Strange after sparring...

yeah i've been there.after one sparring session with my mate,my eyes went all to **** and later my head ached.i still had a few rounds to spar though and my eyes weren't focusing properly.
it was a bit like concussion but i've had it a few times since (30 years since) and i now think its more like migraine.the not enough water thing could be the answer too.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
ben1990
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yeah I just wasn't sure if this is something to be alarmed about or anything. If I ever have pain or a headache, I think I'll go to the doctor but being slightly dizzy isn't anything to worry about I guess...
ben1990 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

What do you expect after having a fckn war?
cheech is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1990 View Post
Yeah I just wasn't sure if this is something to be alarmed about or anything. If I ever have pain or a headache, I think I'll go to the doctor but being slightly dizzy isn't anything to worry about I guess...
we used to do a lot of sparring on a sunday and i used to get headaches a few hours later.even i could work that one out
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

After nearly every fight I had I'd be sick and get little sparklys in the corner of my vision. Weird, didn't get hit too often either.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
After nearly every fight I had I'd be sick and get little sparklys in the corner of my vision. Weird, didn't get hit too often either.
the sparkly's are what i had and difficult to explain.
ta jeff.
another thing that i had in a couple of fights was a line in a song when i got hit hard.i could never remember what it was till it came to me one night when i was drunk about 10 years ago,which was still 20 years after my last fight.
another lad in our club said when he got hit hard enough he though he was walking on a beach somewhere.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
the sparkly's are what i had and difficult to explain.
ta jeff.
another thing that i had in a couple of fights was a line in a song when i got hit hard.i could never remember what it was till it came to me one night when i was drunk about 10 years ago,which was still 20 years after my last fight.
another lad in our club said when he got hit hard enough he though he was walking on a beach somewhere.
After the McAllister fight, which I fought with a broken nose and still won (10 rounds), I went to bed and in the middle of the night I got up and had a random cold bath for no reason, then I spewed up all over the floor.... loads of blood... and went to bed.

Didn't clean it up either which is why I think the ingles rarely say hello.....

Steve Murray was the only person ever, to genuinely knock me down with a head shot. That was a weird experience....I'd just rocked him a little. Had a mini rest then the next thing the ref was counting and i'm on the floor. Got up... room was spinning went back to my knee and got up at 8.... finished the round but bailed after that because I was exhausted.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
After the McAllister fight, which I fought with a broken nose and still won (10 rounds), I went to bed and in the middle of the night I got up and had a random cold bath for no reason, then I spewed up all over the floor.... loads of blood... and went to bed.

Didn't clean it up either which is why I think the ingles rarely say hello.....

Steve Murray was the only person ever, to genuinely knock me down with a head shot. That was a weird experience....I'd just rocked him a little. Had a mini rest then the next thing the ref was counting and i'm on the floor. Got up... room was spinning went back to my knee and got up at 8.... finished the round but bailed after that because I was exhausted.
**** me and you didn't get hit much ??
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I try to repost this where I can. I put it together after receiving a concussion some time ago. I don't think it is necessarily applicable in your case but I think it is important for anyone who boxes or trains others. So I'll once again post it and maybe it can be a reference for anyone who ever wonders about such things.

Headaches - Concussions, Brain Trauma

Any time you have a headache from being hit in the head, it is likely you suffered some degree of brain trauma. The question is how much. TBI (traumatic brain injury) is common in sport, and certainly common in boxing. While the method of treatment varies depending on the severity of it, for mild concussions the most common and widely regarded treatment is rest. Rest from trainng, rest from sparring, and most certainly rest from receiving any more blows to the head.

As far as brain trauma goes, here is an indepth look : [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_brain_injury[/ame]

Here is a list of signs & symptoms to look out for. Not enough boxers are aware of them, or their trainers for that matter, but should be:

Mild TBI

-headache
-mental confusion
-lightheadedness
-dizziness
-double vision, blurred vision, or tired eyes
-ringing in the ears
-bad or metallic taste in the mouth
-fatigue or lethargy
-a change in sleep patterns
-behavioral, personality or mood changes
-trouble with memory, concentration, or calculation
-decreased coordination
-symptoms may remain the same or get better; worsening symptoms indicate a more severe injury

Moderate or Severe TBI

-loss of consciousness
-personality change
-a severe, persistent, or worsening headache
-repeated vomiting or nausea
-seizures
-inability to awaken
-dilation (widening) of one or both pupils
-slurred speech
-weakness or numbness in the extremities
-loss of coordination
-increased confusion, restlessness, or agitation
-abnormal posturing, ie. decorticate or decerebrate posturing
-vomiting and neurological deficit (e.g. weakness in a limb) together are important indicators of prognosis and their presence may warrant early CT scanning and neurosurgical intervention.

If any, or worse yet many of these symptoms are present after receiving a blow to the head, it is definitely time to go see your emergency room, and/or doctor.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

^Interesting read there. You have to be smart in boxing because it's not like in baseball or tennis where you can be like "Hey, let's go out and play all day, we can play this game everyday from now on", unfortunately boxing is a time-oriented sport where knowledge and awareness of yourself is very important. I'm still adusting to it, I like boxing at my gym, but it's a whole different world from the sports I played in the past in terms of risks among other things, still a fun sport to enjoy while you can though.
The worst I've had so far were two punches from the same guy, the first one I could feel my sinuses in my forehead open up from a right hand to the nose, and the second a right hook to the temple where I felt my brain(I think that's what it was) rattle, I haven't ever saw stars or lost consciousness yet though fortunately.
boxingwizard is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #12
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingwizard View Post
^Interesting read there. You have to be smart in boxing because it's not like in baseball or tennis where you can be like "Hey, let's go out and play all day, we can play this game everyday from now on", unfortunately boxing is a time-oriented sport where knowledge and awareness of yourself is very important. I'm still adusting to it, I like boxing at my gym, but it's a whole different world from the sports I played in the past in terms of risks among other things, still a fun sport to enjoy while you can though.
The worst I've had so far were two punches from the same guy, the first one I could feel my sinuses in my forehead open up from a right hand to the nose, and the second a right hook to the temple where I felt my brain(I think that's what it was) rattle, I haven't ever saw stars or lost consciousness yet though fortunately.
A world champion is hit on average hundred times in one fight. You really don't want to compare for example a basketball game to a boxing match in terms of risk. The guys that plays basketball have different risks such as knee and angle injuries. And boxing is dangerous if you have a weak defense and you fight a lot. It sounds like you are worried about the worst case scenario that might happen to you if you continue boxing. And you might want to find a different sport to compete in.

Last edited by cheech; 01-07-2010 at 02:54 AM.
cheech is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #13
POCKET SHOT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

one of my sparring sessions when i was trying out mma was with my friend whos 6ft 4 225 pounds.....im only 5 ft 10 157 haha

well at one point i got lazy and he hit me with a right hook to the temple and i felt my left arm go slightly numb for a few secs, i could still move it fine , was just strange( by the way we werent wearing headgear)

my legs didnt go, i didnt feel dizzy or anything, i never have. didnt feel strange later on though
just wondering have anyone had this happen?
POCKET SHOT is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #14
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i remember missing a round in one of my fights.this lad tagged me with his right hand at the end of the 1st round and next thing we were at the end of the 3rd and last round.
good fight too by all accounts.i ended up with a burst blood vessel in my left arm.bruised from wrist to shoulder where he'd blocked my left hook (bicep) with his elbow.
he got the decision but it was booed !!!
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
A world champion is hit on average hundred times in one fight. You really don't want to compare for example a basketball game to a boxing match in terms of risk. The guys that plays basketball have different risks such as knee and angle injuries. And boxing is dangerous if you have a weak defense and you fight a lot. It sounds like you are worried about the worst case scenario that might happen to you if you continue boxing. And you might want to find a different sport to compete in.
I am somewhat worried about the effects, but I enjoy doing it and I'd rather not let things like that get in the way of me doing something I want to do. I hope to get some amateur fights in this year anyways and I want to do well in the sport of boxing.
boxingwizard is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing