Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
prov
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default First Amateur fight tomorrow....any advice??

I'm 25...started boxing almost exactly 1 year ago as a way to get in shape. Deep inside I knew that at some point i'd like to see how good I actually could be.....Well it's been a year and man do I wish I had picked up boxing in my early teens....

I feel that way because I have been told that I am impressive for someone who has been training for only a year. I spar with a couple of Pros and ex-pros and some guys who have been boxing for years and do very well against them (even stopping one guy from a body punch few weeks back )

Anyways, have my first amateur match coming up tomorrow...I plan on seeing how it goes in the amateurs and perhaps turning pro at some point down the line.

Time isn't on my side so i'd want to progress as quickly as makes sense.

Any advice on my first match? I'm not nervous at all...I feel pretty confident....
prov is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Default Re: First Amateur fight tomorrow....any advice??

Get ready for one of the most memorable days of your life, the start of a great journey that will tell you more about yourself then anyone else can ever hope to tell you. Be safe, show respect for yourself and your opponent and above all do your best. Leave nothing in the changing room. Good luck.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov View Post
I'm 25...started boxing almost exactly 1 year ago as a way to get in shape. Deep inside I knew that at some point i'd like to see how good I actually could be.....Well it's been a year and man do I wish I had picked up boxing in my early teens....

I feel that way because I have been told that I am impressive for someone who has been training for only a year. I spar with a couple of Pros and ex-pros and some guys who have been boxing for years and do very well against them (even stopping one guy from a body punch few weeks back )

Anyways, have my first amateur match coming up tomorrow...I plan on seeing how it goes in the amateurs and perhaps turning pro at some point down the line.

Any advice on my first match? I'm not nervous at all...I feel pretty confident....
Remind yourself why you train so hard and put in so much effort.

Your not there to make up numbers.

All the best

Off-topic, your pms is full Jeff
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Get ready for one of the most memorable days of your life, the start of a great journey that will tell you more about yourself then anyone else can ever hope to tell you. Be safe, show respect for yourself and your opponent and above all do your best. Leave nothing in the changing room. Good luck.

Well put. Just stay as calm as possible and listen to your coaches, and you'll be fine. Either way, you're a winner, it takes a lot to go ahead and actually fight.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

punch the other guy in the face as many times as you can but try not get hit back.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
punch the other guy in the face as many times as you can but try not get hit back.
Best advice ever. Try not to overthink matters.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well put Jeff. Enjoy it, relax, you should be ready.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

Do not make arrangements with your entire family to see the fight. It only makes it more complicated if you have a group of 20 there that will be there to make the event more dramatic than is should be.
cheech is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179

Take PED's and give your opponent a sedative

Seriously though, it's as has been said above. Stay Calm, stick to the game plan & what you're good at. Make him fight YOUR fight, don't overthink, let them hands go and keep breathing (sounds stupid, but trust me, people just don't do it, they forget to breathe and then get tired because of it)
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
Do not make arrangements with your entire family to see the fight. It only makes it more complicated if you have a group of 20 there that will be there to make the event more dramatic than is should be.
Good advice. I did that as well for the first one, only people who have seen me spar hundreds of times were there. Don't create unnecessary pressure.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov View Post

You sound similar to me in a way. Iv been at it for almost a year i reckon and started off just for fitness but with all that training i want to test myself, unfortunatly its been the worst year ever which has hampered me big time. Too many distractions. So i dont feel even close to being ready for a fight, first rung of the ladder. However 2010 is my year ill make sure of that!

Good luck to you mate i hope you do well
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Stay calm, don't let your nerves get to you. Go in that ring ready to fight and you'll be fine
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I piled the pressure on myself big time for my first fight, 2 tables booked at our clubs dinner show which my fight was on, mum, dad, friends, familly there. I didn't want anyone to miss it and hoped i'd rise to the occasion! I lost but didnt feel too nervous, I think them being there helped me!
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
I piled the pressure on myself big time for my first fight, 2 tables booked at our clubs dinner show which my fight was on, mum, dad, friends, familly there. I didn't want anyone to miss it and hoped i'd rise to the occasion! I lost but didnt feel too nervous, I think them being there helped me!
My two brothers were at my second fight, and it made me nervous as ****. They'll be there again next Sunday, so let's hope it won't affect me this time. A few friends are also coming over, a first as well.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

use your jab constantly it not just a range finder it sets up everything use it, keep your head moving and keep focused.

good luck
sugarsean is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing