Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #16
Jaaames
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 983
Default Re: Vivian Harris vs Ricky Hatton

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey
I'd like to see the fight. Harris gets way too much flack. He's still one of the most dangerous guys at 140... for 4 rounds. Then he's an average fighter... for another 4 rounds. Then he's a dude waiting for a stiff breeze to knock him over. Personally I've always thought that 140 was too light for him, and that is a big cause of his stamina problems. The problem is that his defense isn't that good so he needs the height/reach advantage to be competative.

I'd pick Hatton to stop him midway through, but I wouldn't be surpised to see Hatton taste canvas early on. I don't think you can say Harris would be a no hoper in the fight, either. People bring up the Maussa loss like Harris just got his ass kicked. He was putting a monster beating on Maussa before he gassed out. Stamina is just his achilles heel. He's a rangy dude with good speed and great power, dangerous for anybody.... which is why he won't ever get a fight against a top flyer without a belt. Who'd risk it?
Apparently Lamont Peterson wants too.....

As for the stamina thing.... He was winging big shots that whole time in the Maussa fight... that in itself will wear you out especially if you're throwing big punches and the rubbery guy keeps making you miss... At long range, he'll drop Hatton...
Jaaames is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 02:32 AM   #17
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrooklyn
Harris is a BUM, he got knocked out by damn Carlos Maussa. With that I'm sure Hatton will face him instead of facing the more dangerous Paulie Malignaggi
So beating Diosbelys Hurtado, Oktay Urkal twice, Soulymane M'Baye, Stevie Johnston, Juan Lazcano, Golden Johnson, Gary St. Clair and Michael Clark makes you a bum??? Got it. .......................
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 02:42 AM   #18
SweetScienceFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Maybe Harris should rematch Maussa before talking too much shit.
SweetScienceFan is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 AM   #19
Illmatic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have absolutely NO doubt that Hatton would roll right over Harris. Harris has negative ring intelligence and shitty stamina from weightdraining to 140
Illmatic is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #20
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaames
Harris has the advantage of being able to fight inside of outside and be effective... You want to bring up the Maussa fight, lets bring up the urango fight and the Collazo fight... Lets also mention that Ricky has been fading late in fights lately... Hatton would get taken advantage of from the outside.. Collazo could have stopped him and Luis isn't known for punching power... Harris has underrated power, and he's a very good boxer with decent speed, faster than Castillo.... Harris wins this fight... but barely...

You seem to have forgot that harris got dumbassed by maussa where as hatton won and then went on to win against collazo and urango before destroying castillo.

Harris is not on anyone decents level or radar, witter will also give him a lesson.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #21
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Forget about Harris.
There are alot of other guys that could do alot better job than Harris.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #22
vonBanditos
Mσderator
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3818

It would be a competitive fight, but after getting knocked out by Maussa he should show some humility.
vonBanditos is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #23
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

One loss does NOT make someone a bad fighter. Seriously, Harris is very dangerous to Hatton if he fights smart.

I mean, if we are going to talk about guys being no-hopers against Hatton because they have lost, how many of Hatton's opponents were undefeated and fought good competition. Almost everyone loses eventually.

And Maussa was UNBEATABLE that night.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #24
Executioner
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998
And Maussa was UNBEATABLE that night.

you can't be serious. Maussa fought like he always does in that fight. Hits hard and takes a serious punch.

lots of guys would have beaten him that night.
Executioner is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #25
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executioner

you can't be serious. Maussa fought like he always does in that fight. Hits hard and takes a serious punch.

lots of guys would have beaten him that night.
I'm not REALLY serious. I am a HUGE HUGE Maussa fan and I'll say anything to give him more credit.

In reality, Maussa is a total joke.

POUND FOR POUND #1 JOKE!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #26
Jaaames
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson

You seem to have forgot that harris got dumbassed by maussa where as hatton won and then went on to win against collazo and urango before destroying castillo.

Harris is not on anyone decents level or radar, witter will also give him a lesson.
You also forget that Harris holds a win over 1 belt holder, blasted Hurtado, fought Lazcano's fight and still won

If you want to go by your way of thinking.... Urkal could have went the distance against Cotto if his trainer didnt throw in the towel... Urkal is too small for 147... Harris dropped and stopped a younger, fresher Urkal... The same one that went the distance with Zoo..

Witter/Harris could go either way.... Harris is above decent... Then where does Ricardo Torres fit into your list... decent~??
Jaaames is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #27
Jaaames
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebe1
Now just what the **** do you know about styles? Once again, you're trying hard but you're wrong... You know nothing.

What makes you think that Harris' style would pose a problem for Hatton? Harris is a front runner and he doesn't have the stamina to keep a steady workrate.. Hatton's style of one two and clinching would be be too much for Harris.

Harris is talking out of his ass and so are you.. But nice try though.
On a side note: Witter-Harris has been rescheduled to September 7th....

Like I said earlier, why Harris would be a problem for Hatton... While Hatton is probably the better inside fighter, Harris can fight effectively inside... Harris is definitely the better guy on the outside... He can't fight a Hatton style fight for a full 12 rounds... He fought Lazcano in the inside for a few rounds before tiring out.. I don't think Ricky will have an easy time pushing and bullying Harris around... He's a big jr welterweight... When Harris moves and keeps the fight at a distance, he's one of the best in that division and he'll hurt you... sure he dominated Castillo, but Castillo and Harris are 2 different fighters... Castillo is more of an inside fighter... a body puncher a good hooker.... Harris is at his best when he's outside and lets go of that right hand... I guarantee you that Hatton does not dominate him..
Jaaames is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #28
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaames
On a side note: Witter-Harris has been rescheduled to September 7th....

Like I said earlier, why Harris would be a problem for Hatton... While Hatton is probably the better inside fighter, Harris can fight effectively inside... Harris is definitely the better guy on the outside... He can't fight a Hatton style fight for a full 12 rounds... He fought Lazcano in the inside for a few rounds before tiring out.. I don't think Ricky will have an easy time pushing and bullying Harris around... He's a big jr welterweight... When Harris moves and keeps the fight at a distance, he's one of the best in that division and he'll hurt you... sure he dominated Castillo, but Castillo and Harris are 2 different fighters... Castillo is more of an inside fighter... a body puncher a good hooker.... Harris is at his best when he's outside and lets go of that right hand... I guarantee you that Hatton does not dominate him..
I agree. If Harris fights SMART he can be truly a VERY VERY good fighter, and POSSIBLY a stylistic nightmare for Hatton. It's not like I'd PICK Harris above Hatton, but there are a very few possible opponents for Hatton that I would pick above him. The truth of the matter is, if hatton doesn't fight Floyd or Cotto, he needs a fight at 140. Both Harris and Malignaggi prove to be excellent opponents in my estimation.

I want Hatton to fight Harris or Malignaggi because no boxing match is decided before the fighters actually fight. It's rarely possible to have a fight where one fighter isn't a favorite over the other, and barring that magical occurance (Hearns-Leonard 1 comes to mind) you put in the next best thing, a very live very real underdog. Malignaggi and Harris both fit this criteria. If anybody deserves a shot, they do.

Of course, if Hatton fights Cotto or Mayweather than who cares about Harris or Malignaggi? Let Harris and malignaggi fight each other in that case.

On a sidenote: It IS dangerous to bet that Hatton doesn't dominate and destroy Harris. A lot of it depends on how smart Harris fights, and he may be a bit chinny. Harris is the kind of guy who can lose and get dominated just because he is stupid. If he tries to fight hatton like he fought lascano he will get wrecked. No SMART person would do that, but I'm not going to give Harris that benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by codeman99998; 06-27-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #29
Jinx
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Harris could've already beaten Hatton, but instead he turned down a career-high payday just to be KTFO by Carlos Maussa...that being said i do think Harris will redeem his career, first with a win over Witter, then he'll be the man at 140 since Hatton probably won't stay there...
Jinx is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 AM   #30
smokey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think Witter is a bad fight for Harris. He's at the point where he needs to step up reclaim a title now, and I don't think he can pick and chose what shot he gets. Harris has always been his own worst enemy. When he lost to Maussa, his promoter and training bailed on him as soon as they could find an out in the contract. I hear he's a nightmare to work with: stubborn as hell and very demanding.
smokey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum