Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Bugsy McAlpine
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Twin targets for Appleby

By BRIAN DONALD
SOUTH QUEENSFERRY featherweight boxer Paul Appleby has revealed he has two goals for 2010 sign with new management and get a rematch with Martin Lindsay.
Ulsterman Lindsay stopped Appleby in Belfast to take his British title. Appleby hasn't fought since and his contract with manager Tommy expired last month.
Appleby said: "I am now a free agent and I will start training again at Terry McCormack's Lochend gym next week while I ponder which new manager and promoter I will sign up with.
"My first priority once I find a new management team will be to get Martin Lindsay back in the ring as I know I can beat him if given a second chance."
Gilmour wouldn't comment on the Queensferry boxer's decision to move on, but he did confirm that fans of Edinburgh super-middleweight ace Kenny Anderson will be able to catch his next fight after all.
The Commonwealth Games champion is fighting at the St Andrew's Sporting club in Glasgow on 18 January and admission is limited to 600 members and their guests. But Gilmour revealed: "The fight will be shown live on the Channel 10 internet channel."
FORMER Meadowbank coach Graham Smith has joined Queensferry Amateur Boxing Club, which has also just been awarded 5,000 from the National Lottery to buy additional equipment.
Bugsy McAlpine is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Twin targets for Appleby

he will get hammered again if he lindsay
fra is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

needs to get himself with ******.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
Harry Chibber
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Don't care who he fights as long as he gets back in the ring pronto
Harry Chibber is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

lyndsay will beat him again imo
moorser is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Simpson would beat him too... Never got the hype with this one... Apparently he's a very good gym fighter, so sure he has lots more to show.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

I like Appleby but Lindsay showed alot of class in the first fight. Hopefully Appleby takes it a little more slow after the loss. He was getting rushed into daft fights he was not ready for.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
light-welter
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Don't know what happend with Appleby, he looked good against Simpson but after that he looked average against Pickering, hope he picks himself up. Should have went over to L.A with the rest of the Lochend boxers.
light-welter is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by light-welter View Post
Don't know what happend with Appleby, he looked good against Simpson but after that he looked average against Pickering, hope he picks himself up. Should have went over to L.A with the rest of the Lochend boxers.

do you know if he is def going to be trainign with terry mccormack form here forward ?and hopefully he has binned mcguire jnr as i never thought he was upt ot it .
alba is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Harry Chibber
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by light-welter View Post
Paul is 22/23.. plenty of time! The title came too early for him and he was thrown straight in at the deep end

He has electric hand speed and if he works on his boxing rather than looking to get into a brawl he has all the attributes to be a tremendous scottish boxer. I hope he stays clear of Lindsay.. let Simpson get that one and try to build with some decent domestic opponents...
Harry Chibber is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
tonysaprano
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I do find it incredible when a young fighter loses for the first time and bins the promoter! Happens fairly often in this game. Why do they blame the manager/promoter?? They always look for a scapegoat for some reason, its never the case of getting beaten by a better guy on the night is it!

Gilmour got him title shots, and with plenty of cash, so dont think he will do himself any favours leaving to be honest, because ****** would just keep his interest with the gys down there, ****** the cunt, didnt even win the bidding for Ricky Burns!!
tonysaprano is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Gotta agree with many of posts above. Never really seen all the hype about him tbh. Decent fighter but Lindsay is just to good for him and that was a fight that really wasn't natural to Lindsay yet he won and yep Simpson would beat him aswell imo in rematch.

He should look at ****** or Hatton. ****** has the ability to rebuild careers in a few fights so maybe that would be best avenue although it's not always the best route as some end up on undercards for a year just fighting bums.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Young Paul has the potential to go very far. Lindsay was a bad night at the office imo against a hostile crowd too but certainly nothing he cant rectify in the future. Remember he was only 20 then and is already better than most of our world champs were at that age.

He is still so young physically too and will have developed a lot of strength in these past 10 or so months.

I reckon he has what it takes to get past domestic level and with the right trainer he will sort out any flaws he has.

Writing him off at such a young age is a mistake imo
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
punk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

he needs a warm up first.
punk is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk View Post
he needs a warm up first.
Agreed, but he has plenty of time. Gilmore being away is a good thing though. He was always willing to offer Paul up just to make the .

I wouldnt be surprised to see Haye Promotions making an offer
kerrminator is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum