Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #31
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Twin targets for Appleby

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhugo4222 View Post
Appleby beat john on a very close decision when John had an off night probarly the worst performance of his career in a title fight which was also decided by a very dubious knockdown/slip. Also john wasnt with billy nelson at the time since john has been training with billy he has improved vastly. I think the appbeby fight was the wake up call he needed as he was maybe becoming a bit stale and needed a change if they were to fight again appleby would meet the same fate truscott (twice) and steve bell has and thats a mid to late stoppage IMO.
imo simpson won that fight with appleby,even more so because there was a count that shouln't have been again imo,even so simpson has improved dramatically and would stop paul now.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #32
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
imo simpson won that fight with appleby,even more so because there was a count that shouln't have been again imo,even so simpson has improved dramatically and would stop paul now.
I and many others had Appleby winning the fight in a close decision.

Appleby was a 10 fight novice going into the fight so if anybody is goign to dramaticly improve it will be him.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 AM   #33
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post

Appleby was a 10 fight novice going into the fight so if anybody is goign to dramaticly improve it will be him.
Not nessecarily Rob, I thought Appleby nicked it with the (dubious) knockdown, but he's clearly not improved. Simpson has come back beating good fighter like Truscott and Bell....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #34
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Not nessecarily Rob, I thought Appleby nicked it with the (dubious) knockdown, but he's clearly not improved. Simpson has come back beating good fighter like Truscott and Bell....
Appleby went on to beat Pickering which was a half decent defence. teh he has a warm up before the Lindsay fight.

The occasion clearly got to him and Lindsay is a level above anyone else domesticly at featherweight at the moment.

Simpson is a good domestic level fighter but Turscott and Bell are not as good as Appleby. Really want to see a re-match. Its easy to come on here and shout robbery, it was a close fight so lets see it again.

Billy whats your thoughts on Stephen Smith. I rate him as the best prospect in the country, he would be aiming for John Simpson at the end of year.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #35
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:

Rob,simpson has PROVED that hes improved since the fight with paul,paul hasnt? he beat pickering (SB) then got stopped by martin lindsay,hardly signs of improvement,thats no slur on appleby who i think could be a fine fighter
Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #36
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Simpson beats him any day of the week.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #37
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Simpson beats him any day of the week.
apart from the friday that they had a fight.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #38
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Quote:
apart from the friday that they had a fight.

Yep. Apart from Friday's..
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #39
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Rob,simpson has PROVED that hes improved since the fight with paul,paul hasnt? he beat pickering (SB) then got stopped by martin lindsay,hardly signs of improvement,thats no slur on appleby who i think could be a fine fighter
The trusctott fights were very close and stopped due to cuts. Bell has never faced anyone of note. Pickering is as good an opponent at the time as either of them.

Getting stopped by Lindsay fair enough but Lindsay is a better fighter than anyone Simpson has faced, Purse bids were due to Linday vs Simpson but John elected to fight Bell instead.

thoughts on Stephen Smith???
Old 01-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #40
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Appleby went on to beat Pickering which was a half decent defence. teh he has a warm up before the Lindsay fight.

The occasion clearly got to him and Lindsay is a level above anyone else domesticly at featherweight at the moment.

Simpson is a good domestic level fighter but Turscott and Bell are not as good as Appleby. Really want to see a re-match. Its easy to come on here and shout robbery, it was a close fight so lets see it again.

Billy whats your thoughts on Stephen Smith. I rate him as the best prospect in the country, he would be aiming for John Simpson at the end of year.
i think smiths a good wee fighter,although by the time hes ready to box at british or commonwealth level john would have moved on to better things.imo simpson was the best performance on the newcastle show in dec and should be getting moved on quickly
Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #41
HMSTempleGarden
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2522

Quote:
The trusctott fights were very close and stopped due to cuts. Bell has never faced anyone of note. Pickering is as good an opponent at the time as either of them.
the rematch was stopped by his corner because he was taking a hammering.
HMSTempleGarden is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #42
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:

Getting stopped by Lindsay fair enough but Lindsay is a better fighter than anyone Simpson has faced, Purse bids were due to Linday vs Simpson but John elected to fight Bell instead.

i think truscotts very good but his cuts were caused by punches,which in turn got both fights stopped,i dont think the second truscott fight was close john was very dominant against a very very brave opponent
Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #43
Harry Chibber
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

The Simpson vs Truscotts were close but I think it was fairly evident that Simpson was a cut above Truscott (no disrespect to Paul)

Bell was a different type of opponent, possibly ended up being an easier fight for John but you can only beat what's infront of you.

John vs Lindsay debate will go on until they meet each other.
Harry Chibber is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #44
Big J
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Arrow Re: Twin targets for Appleby

Quote:
i think smiths a good wee fighter,although by the time hes ready to box at british or commonwealth level john would have moved on to better things.imo simpson was the best performance on the newcastle show in dec and should be getting moved on quickly
Billy; would you fancy john against lindsay? After lindsay beats arthur, hes going for european title. If he wins that- lindsay v simpson would be a good scrap. I would favour lindsay- slightly
Big J is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #45
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
Billy; would you fancy john against lindsay? After lindsay beats arthur, hes going for european title. If he wins that- lindsay v simpson would be a good scrap. I would favour lindsay- slightly
yes we fancy taking on martin you never know it it could be for the british,commonwealth and euro title with the same result simpson as the winner

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum