Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
FoxMulder

vCash: 500
Default vid of me shadowboxing

Heres a vid of me shadowboxing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P1vdXHcpU8[/ame]

What do I need to improve? What am I doing wrong? Am I ready to have my first amatuer fight?

I have been training boxing for almost 2 years.
FoxMulder is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: vid of me shadowboxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder View Post
Heres a vid of me shadowboxing.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

What do I need to improve? What am I doing wrong? Am I ready to have my first amatuer fight?

I have been training boxing for almost 2 years.
What does your gym say?
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Fully extend your jab and straight, you dont turn at all when you throw your right straight, and you stand a little tall and off balance when throwing. Make sure you sit down in your punches. Do you have a gym? Have you ever even sparred?
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
FoxMulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
What does your gym say?
I don't have a boxing gym to go to anymore. I kinda moved and now I don't have a boxing gym to go to. So for the last year I have trained by myself and it feels like I am ready to have an amatuer fight but offcourse I can't get any fights since I don't have a gym.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
FoxMulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock49 View Post
Fully extend your jab and straight, you dont turn at all when you throw your right straight, and you stand a little tall and off balance when throwing. Make sure you sit down in your punches. Do you have a gym? Have you ever even sparred?
Thanks for the advice. No for the moment I don't have a gym, I used to spar when I had a gym to go to though.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah I was just wondering as if you don't have a gym you can't fight. I'd spend my time on something else if this was the case. Anyway I'd say you looked ok but you punch short, as the other poster mentioned, fully extend your arms. Hope you find a gym.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

your hands are fairly fast but then, as others have said, you're not throwing full punches so this is wh you look as fast as you do

also, just a general point (not a criticism of you) is that it's difficult foy anybody who's boxed before to look bad in shadowboxing and i find it's a poor indicator of how effective somebody will be in a fight/sparring
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Your only throwing arm shots, and not putting the full 'weight' behind the shot by turning in the leg, waist, and shoulder.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
FoxMulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Your only throwing arm shots, and not putting the full 'weight' behind the shot by turning in the leg, waist, and shoulder.
I realise that but this is shadowboxing... I wasn't really focusing on trying to hit as hard as possible, I was focusing on technique and speed mainly.

With that said though, I never have been much of a puncher. And I do need to work alot on my power... I think its because I have really skinny legs and I don't weigh very much anyway so even when I do sit down on my punches and turn my hip and legs into it theyre not really that hard anyway.

thanks for the advice mate.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
I don't have a boxing gym to go to anymore. I kinda moved and now I don't have a boxing gym to go to. So for the last year I have trained by myself and it feels like I am ready to have an amatuer fight but offcourse I can't get any fights since I don't have a gym.
We had a lad like you, trained himself looked really tidy.... Came up to the gym to do some work with me a week before he was scheduled to do a kick boxing match and as soon as he was under any pressure he was terrible... Everything went to ****. Technique can be improved on your own to a degree but you need a gym and a trainer before you even think about fighting.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
I realise that but this is shadowboxing... I wasn't really focusing on trying to hit as hard as possible, I was focusing on technique and speed mainly.

With that said though, I never have been much of a puncher. And I do need to work alot on my power... I think its because I have really skinny legs and I don't weigh very much anyway so even when I do sit down on my punches and turn my hip and legs into it theyre not really that hard anyway.

thanks for the advice mate.
Surely punching correctly and focussing on transfer of weight is technique?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
FoxMulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Surely punching correctly and focussing on transfer of weight is technique?
You are right about that, I do try and pivot my feet when I throw the left hooks and straight rights but its something that I miss sometimes. I need to improve on that.

I tend to focus more on power when I hit the heavybag, and I try to twist my hips and legs and put all the weight behind my shots but as I said earlier I'm not a puncher. Maybe I just don't have the body to be able to punch hard.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Get rid of irrelevant bounces - each move must mean something.

Make your palms face your cheeks - you are opening your hands off to punch faster because you are not turning the shots over. It is partially acceptable to turn your palm out on the jab. You can do it with both hands if you are firing in combination.

Stop moving your feet close together. It puts yout out of position to defend and/or attack.

Use defensive manouvers i.e. right arm block, counter left hook. right hand parry, counter left jab.

You often move the wrong leg when moving. Never cross your legs. If you move step left, then your left leg moves first and your right foot follows. Which ever direction you step in, that leg leads first. If you move forward, your lead leg moves first etc etc

Pace yourself. You started fast but 90secs later began to show signs of fatigue in your work.

I notice you like to look at your reflection in the door. Random point I found funny.

More body shots. More uppercuts. Mix up the combinations. Start your punch sequeance with different punches i.e. left uppercut or right hand to the body. Don't always start with the jab.

When you pivot. Rotate on the ball of your foot. Don't step round and cross your legs. It puts you out of position.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Technically you are okay. You LOOK good enough to have an amateur bout but technique and skill quickly go to **** under pressure and by that I mean a real amateur contest. This is why you need to try and get in as much hard sparring as possible.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
You are right about that, I do try and pivot my feet when I throw the left hooks and straight rights but its something that I miss sometimes. I need to improve on that.

I tend to focus more on power when I hit the heavybag, and I try to twist my hips and legs and put all the weight behind my shots but as I said earlier I'm not a puncher. Maybe I just don't have the body to be able to punch hard.
Its all relevant though you aint going to fight throwing arm shots, or a guy will walk through you. You need to practise on the punch technique with every shot IMO.

Maybe you'r no a puncher and I used to say the same but I was once told to think I was a puncher and now everyone does say I punch alot harder.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing