Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Thaxton v Stewart - British Lightweight Title Fight!

So this weekend we will get to see both Thaxton and Khan in action.

First up we have Jon Thaxton who makes the second defence of his title this Friday against Dave Stewart.

The pair should be in peak condition for the fight - Thaxton has been training with county standard middle distance runners and Stewart has been training at altitude in the French alps!

Both fighters have been discussed as possible future opponents for Khan and both have already beaten Khans next opponent Scott Lawton.

Will Thaxton, with all his experience and strength, remain the domestic lightweight king? How do you rate the much taller scot Stewart?
elle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
spenno

Default Re: Thaxton v Stewart - British Lightweight Title Fight!

i dont know much about stewart, but i like thaxton. he's a decent fighter who's movement around the ring is pretty good (IMO).
I'd like to see thaxton win this, and then see how he fairs against lawton afterwards
spenno is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
IronBull
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Jon Thaxton took 7 rounds to beat Scott Lawton.

Would you be impressed if Amir beat Scott before 7 rounds?
IronBull is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBull
Would you be impressed if Amir beat Scott before 7 rounds?
I personaly would only be impressed by Khan when he takes an half decent punch without any problems.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
rooq
East Side Guru

i'll be amused if khan fights stewart next. sloppy seconds or what.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Thaxton is probably top 10 in the world, isnt he?
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOrth
Thaxton is probably top 10 in the world, isnt he?
ish.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Where's Dunky saying Guern Yersel Davey.

Stewart's Scottish ain't he?
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Thaxton will win this one to be honest. Its a voluntary defence, both train at the same gym, Thaxton & his people will know Stewarts weaknesses, & how to beat him.

Thaxton UD.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
SouthLondonsFinest
SE4 BABY
ESB Jr Member

come on davey stewart, daves from ayr. ill be there cheering him on

Last edited by mike; 07-14-2006 at 12:56 PM.
SouthLondonsFinest is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Thaxton needs to retain and Khan needs to fight him. The fight after this should be Thaxton. Commonwealth and British title need to be unified, like the WBC and WBA.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I'd like to see Khan fight Thaxton. Maybe if Thaxton struggles against Stewart the fight might get made, I can't see it being otherwise......
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Thaxton needs to retain and Khan needs to fight him. The fight after this should be Thaxton. Commonwealth and British title need to be unified, like the WBC and WBA.
khan talkin about thaxton in a new article on FWs site;

Khan says he will turn his attention to winning the British lightweight title once he has beaten Scott Lawton on Saturday night in Nottingham.

And during a conference call today, the Commonwealth champion added that he wants to prove a point against challenger Lawton after he was given a "wake up call" by Willie Limond in July.

The 20-year-old makes the first defence of his title at the Nottingham Arena.

He won the belt by defeating Limond at the O2 Arena via an eighth round retirement, but not before he hit the canvas in the sixth round.

"Hopefully after my performance against Lawton everyone will forget about the Willie Limond fight," said Khan.

"I want to improve and prove a lot of people wrong. Everyone makes mistakes you just have to come back from it better and stronger.

"I know I am going to win the fight in good style. I want to go in there and do a good job and impress the crowd and impress myself."

Khan added that he has added seven or eight pounds in muscle since the Limond fight, but claimed that it would not affect his legendary speed or leave him struggling to make the 9'9 weight limit.

"I actually feel a lot faster," said Khan, who said he has ironed out technical difficulties he experienced in the Limond fight, including trouble with his footwork.

"My speed is always there, that's just a natural thing, but I feel stronger as well. When I am throwing these fast shots I know when I hit anyone like that I am going to knock them out."

Khan insists that he is on course to win a world title next year, and says he plans to keep busy in the coming months, fighting again before the end of 2007 to make it five fights this year.

And while he is eyeing a shot at one of the current lightweight world champions, he says British champion Jon Thaxton is also very much on his agenda, although Khan admitted he is unlikely to face him until at least the fight after next.

"To me, Jon Thaxton is a good fighter, but I'll give it another two fights and then I'll be ready for him," said Khan.

"There's not many people in England who can give a test to Thaxton and I think he'll walk over Dave Stewart (they meet on Friday night) to be honest, but I don't think he's fought anyone like me.

"When he's fought guys like Eammon Magee and Ricky Hatton, who have hit him and then moved, he's lost.

"If I did fight him I'd box his head off. He's too slow. He is strong but I'd keep hitting him until the referee had to step in.

"I think the fight I had against Willie Limond was a bit tougher. Willie Limond moves more, Thaxton is slower, he is very predictable.

"You know when he is going to throw the jab, every punch he throws is with power and that will knacker him out. He is a four or five round fighter, after that he's knackered.

"I'm going to have some tough fights and shut Thaxton up and shut up a lot of other people as well and prove I'm the best British fighter, and I want to have a few bigger belts as well."
rooq is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq
given a "wake up call" by Willie Limond in July.
I would call it almost getting knocked out, but I won't split hairs.

Quote:
"Hopefully after my performance against Lawton everyone will forget about the Willie Limond fight," said Khan.
Yes, it will evaporate magically from our minds.

Quote:
who said he has ironed out technical difficulties he experienced in the Limond fight.
Is that what we're calling it now? "Technical difficulties" my arse. Shit chin more like.

Quote:
When I am throwing these fast shots I know when I hit anyone like that I am going to knock them out.
Apart from when it does'nt.

Quote:
"You know when he is going to throw the jab, every punch he throws is with power and that will knacker him out. He is a four or five round fighter, after that he's knackered.

"I'm going to have some tough fights and shut Thaxton up and shut up a lot of other people as well and prove I'm the best British fighter, and I want to have a few bigger belts as well."
I admire Khan's confidence but all this shite is turning me against him a bit. All he's proved is that he has fast hands with less than average power, and a chin of glass. The way he's talking about Thaxton makes me believe Frank ****** has promised him he never has to face him, hence the bravado.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
I think Thaxton will win this one to be honest. Its a voluntary defence, both train at the same gym, Thaxton & his people will know Stewarts weaknesses, & how to beat him.

Thaxton UD.
Howcome you ain't saying Guern Yersel Davey like you did with Willie?
Max Molyneux is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum