Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #16
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton v Stewart - British Lightweight Title Fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
Howcome you ain't saying Guern Yersel Davey like you did with Willie?
If you had met Limond max, you would understand why characters like my good self shout 'gaun yersel wullie!!!' when hes fighting! Limond is that kind of fella that you cant help but cheer him like mad, & of course, hes from my city

I havent followed Stewarts career as closely as Limonds, & of course I will still be cheering him on against Thaxton, but I think John will have too much experience for him. & of course, beating Thaxton isnt on the same planet prestige wise as getting Khans scalp, so Im not as hyped about this one for those reasons. It takes a BIG fight for me to use the 'gaun yersel!' catchphrase
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #17
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

keep this one quiet right dunk.

cos we all know the jocko don't stand a chance in hell against thaxton.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #18
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_hatton1
keep this one quiet right dunk.

cos we all know the jocko don't stand a chance in hell against thaxton.
Thats what I already said earlier on this very same thread, I dont think Stewart will win this fight. Now if I wanted to 'keep this one quiet' I wouldnt have posted 3 times on this thread now, would I

Enjoy the Thaxton victory HH1, but remember this, Im looking at the bigger picture, cos I want Khan to hammer him Why? Cos Thaxton tried to take all the credit for Limonds fine performance against the rising star.

All this "Limond put him down, so that automatically means I would destroy him" malarkay he was coming out with after that fight, now I want Khan to show Thaxton just how good Limonds performance was by handing Thaxton a beating So I cant lose with this one. Then theres the possibility of a Thaxton- Limond also fight, one which really whets my big scottish appetite

So Im not losing too much sleep over this one. Stewart is talented but no spring chicken anymore, & hes had a bad career upbringing with too many 4 & 6 rounders, & that doesnt prepare you well for a step up aginst an experienced & wily old campaigner like Thaxton.

I hope I am wrong though

Last edited by Slothrop; 07-15-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Enjoy the Thaxton victory HH1, but remember this, Im looking at the bigger picture, cos I want Khan to hammer him Why? Cos Thaxton tried to take all the credit for Limonds fine performance against the rising star.

All this "Limond put him down, so that automatically means I would destroy him" malarkay he was coming out with after that fight, now I want Khan to show Thaxton just how good Limonds performance was by handing Thaxton a beating So I cant lose with this one. Then theres the possibility of a Thaxton- Limond also fight, one which really whets my big scottish appetite

I am also a big Willie Limond fan (the first thread I started on ESB was a Limond thread) but to be fair to Thaxton I don't recall him taking the credit for Limonds performance against Khan?

I do recall Thaxton saying, after the fight, that he liked Limond -thought he was a reliable fighter but didn't have his punch. So he said if he had hit Khan on the whiskers maybe he would have been down for longer than 13 seconds - referring to long count. As Limond is known more for his boxing ability than his power hence the 'willo the wisp' nickname it is fair to assume that a more clinical finisher such as Thaxton would have taken Khan out completely when he was only one or two shots away from being knocked out in the Limond fight.

If anyone detracted from Limonds performance after the fight it was Khan - who didn't give Limond enough credit in my view. Khan seemed to be in denial, claiming he hadn't been hurt when he clearly was, was always in control when he clearly wasn't and suggested that the fact he was up late the night before meeting and signing fans autographs had affected his own performance!

The one thing Khan said that really stood out to me was when he said in a post fight interview that he wanted that title more than Willie did. To say this about a guy who had given his all to retain his Title and showed tremendous bravery really was below the belt. One of the things I admire most about Limond is that he fights for glory and not just the money.

As for a possible Thaxton v Limond match up - didn't Limond give up his status as mandatory challenger to Thaxtons belt to fight Khan? In fact, I think both Limond and Earl pulled out of fights with Thaxton after they had been made mandatories.
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #20
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

To be fair to kahn he's a young guy and althougth of late has seemed abit ****y has always come across as a nice enough guy to me. You need to have confidence and ego to become a top boxer and in terms of arrogance he is no eubank or prince naz.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
dwilson

vCash:

Khan by koand Thaxton by UD.

I doubt we will be any closer to them fighting each other because Khan will be on a different level within the next 18 months. Maybe not as a boxer but but in world standing terms.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #22
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
To be fair to kahn he's a young guy and althougth of late has seemed abit ****y has always come across as a nice enough guy to me. You need to have confidence and ego to become a top boxer and in terms of arrogance he is no eubank or prince naz.

Youth is no excuse for constantly disrespecting your domestic competition.

To say he has been a bit ****y of late is an understatement in my view - Khans ill advised and uncalled for outbursts about some respected boxers over the last year have been so frequent they are becoming the norm.

In terms of arrogance I can't see what this behaviour achieves for Khan - whose image has been built on the humble guy who won us silver at the Olympics. Love them or hate them, Eubanks and Prince Hamed's arrogance was built on their eccentric and showman images. Lets just hope Khan goes on to achieve a fraction of what they did in their careers before he lets the hype get to him anymore than it already appears to have.
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #23
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes i can understand your point but both of those guys where very arrogant before they had any success, i hope kahn tries to calm himself down abit but he is no worse than half of the other boxer's about.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #24
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
I am also a big Willie Limond fan (the first thread I started on ESB was a Limond thread) but to be fair to Thaxton I don't recall him taking the credit for Limonds performance against Khan?

I do recall Thaxton saying, after the fight, that he liked Limond -thought he was a reliable fighter but didn't have his punch. So he said if he had hit Khan on the whiskers maybe he would have been down for longer than 13 seconds - referring to long count. As Limond is known more for his boxing ability than his power hence the 'willo the wisp' nickname it is fair to assume that a more clinical finisher such as Thaxton would have taken Khan out completely when he was only one or two shots away from being knocked out in the Limond fight.

If anyone detracted from Limonds performance after the fight it was Khan - who didn't give Limond enough credit in my view. Khan seemed to be in denial, claiming he hadn't been hurt when he clearly was, was always in control when he clearly wasn't and suggested that the fact he was up late the night before meeting and signing fans autographs had affected his own performance!

The one thing Khan said that really stood out to me was when he said in a post fight interview that he wanted that title more than Willie did. To say this about a guy who had given his all to retain his Title and showed tremendous bravery really was below the belt. One of the things I admire most about Limond is that he fights for glory and not just the money.

As for a possible Thaxton v Limond match up - didn't Limond give up his status as mandatory challenger to Thaxtons belt to fight Khan? In fact, I think both Limond and Earl pulled out of fights with Thaxton after they had been made mandatories.
wake up & smell the coffee, & read between the lines. OK, so you like Limond, & I applaud you for that. But as I say read Thaxtons comments. hes not being nice, hes basically saying Limond is an inferior version of himself.

Sorry for not agreeing with your good sentiments, but you must learn to read between the lines before you tell me how it is.

Im not stupid you know, & I dont appreciate newbies like yourself talking to me like I am some sort of imbecile

man, I have been following boxing since the 80's, before many people here were even born. & patronising posts like these annoy me.

DMC, over & out.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #25
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It also quite funny that you think a boxer should say they have been hurt by another fighter, when pretty much all boxers will not admit such things, further to this saying i wanted the title more than the other guy is a pretty standard saying and isn't meant to insult.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #26
theworm

some people seem to judge khan quite negatively based on what he says in these press conferences. personally i think they are mostly just for show anyway, and don t really reflect fighters properly. but in the eyes of many people on forums like this khan always seems to be the cunt, no matter what he says. in this case, he s an arrogant wanker basically cos he thinks thaxton is slow and can be beaten easily. but no one has mentioned the fact that he stated thaxton was a good boxer.
yet when thaxton says, khan s got talent but i ll knock him out, its just fact and not insulting at all, if anything its respectful cos thaxton is a down to earth fella, one of us, not minted and blinged out like khan...blahblahblah. i do think there is a degree of double standards in the khan debate. on a slightly different note, and maybe its just me, but it seems like everyone khan fights becomes the next poster boy for the image the ideal british boxer. he s humble and dedicated, without ego and a true lover of boxing etc. the media go mental for it. willie limond s a carpenter, we all know that now, if we already. lawson s parents own a green grocers, are good folk from stoke, or something along those line.
anyway, hope to see thaxton fight khan soon, and you won t suprised to hear that i d be routing for khan.
theworm is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #27
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
wake up & smell the coffee, & read between the lines. OK, so you like Limond, & I applaud you for that. But as I say read Thaxtons comments. hes not being nice, hes basically saying Limond is an inferior version of himself.

Sorry for not agreeing with your good sentiments, but you must learn to read between the lines before you tell me how it is.

Im not stupid you know, & I dont appreciate newbies like yourself talking to me like I am some sort of imbecile

man, I have been following boxing since the 80's, before many people here were even born. & patronising posts like these annoy me.

DMC, over & out.
Dunky, chill out. Elle is a good guy (or girl). I'm sure he/she wasn't patronising.

I think he/she makes good points.

Take a chill pill phil.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #28
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:

DMC, over & out.

I was just giving an alternative viewpoint.

I genuinely wasn't being patronising.
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #29
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Dunky, chill out. Elle is a good guy (or girl). I'm sure he/she wasn't patronising.

I think he/she makes good points.

Take a chill pill phil.
I was only playing with a newb Achilles, dont deny a man his fun!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #30
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
I was just giving an alternative viewpoint.

I genuinely wasn't being patronising.
Dont worry about it. I always wind up the newbs. add yourself to the list

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum