Old 10-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #421
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The case for Lennox Lewis being GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
It's threads like this that demonstrate just how absurdly overrated Lewis is by some boxing fans.

You can't be the GOAT when you get taken out in the early rounds twice by ordinary fighters in championship fights, or when you only fought the other great fighters of the era when they were past their best (and in Tyson's case, done).

Lewis isn't even the best fighter of the era, let alone of all time!
I'm curious as to how many times you've repeated this on here in your 2 and a half year run.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #422
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
I'm curious as to how many times you've repeated this on here in your 2 and a half year run.
Wouldn't even BEGIN to be able to tell you!!
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #423
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
It's threads like this that demonstrate just how absurdly overrated Lewis is by some boxing fans.

You can't be the GOAT when you get taken out in the early rounds twice by ordinary fighters in championship fights, or when you only fought the other great fighters of the era when they were past their best (and in Tyson's case, done).

Lewis isn't even the best fighter of the era, let alone of all time!
I don't think that Lewis is the G.O.A.T either, but in all fairness, you really can't just sum up his whole career with the McCall and Rahman Losses. Lewis probably beat more ranked contenders than just about any heavyweight champion in history with the exceptions of Ali and Louis. He also avenged both of his only two losses, and keep in mind one of those defeats was a result of a possible premature stoppage while the other came when he was 35 years old. Again, I'm not making excuses for the guy, nor claiming that he was #1, but anyone who's willing to be honest and subjective can clearly see that was at least one of the greatest of all time.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #424
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I can't think of a single one who would be dumb enough.
Bowe matches up better against others H2H rather than an ATG list.

I'd loved to have seen Lewis v Bowe around 1993. Not too sure Lewis was seasoned enough to deal with Bowe then. He was nowhere near the complete fighter he eventually became under Steward during the late 90's.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #425
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Wouldn't even BEGIN to be able to tell you!!
Well given your post count it's gotta be over 15,900 times. Hell sometimes I think I've read every damn one of them..
Vanboxingfan is online now  Top
Old 10-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #426
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Your comparison of Douglas and Bowe is right on one level, in that the Tyson fight (for Douglas) and the Holyfield I fight (or Bowe) were sensational single performances.

However, it is misleading in a very important regard. Douglas lost fights left, right and centre throughout his career and was a HW champ for just one fight. His defence was one of the most pathetic in history, even worse than Lewis's to McCall.

On the other hand, Bowe never lost a fight in his entire career, except for the debatable razor thin points loss to Holyfield in the second fight of their trilogy.

I actually believe Bowe to have won that fight in the 12th round when the fight was hanging in the balance - but that politics intervened.

After all, you can't have a lucrative trilogy when the score is 2-0, only when it is 1-1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Bowe was great for a short time, very inconsistent, brilliant for one fight against Holyfield, as was Buster Douglas(against Tyson), why not include him?
NickHudson is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #427
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan
Well given your post count it's gotta be over 15,900 times. Hell sometimes I think I've read every damn one of them..
Thanks, Van - it's nice to know my work is, uh, appreciated.

Seriously, though - ya gotta admit some of these guys are WAY over the top in their overrating of Lewis. Top ten I could see a case for - I don't agree, but a case can be made.

Top five or greatest of all time?? Now that's ABSURD overrating - which is exactly why I point out every time I run across this stuff exactly WHY Lewis isn't even the best of his own era, let alone of all-time.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #428
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I feel your the worst poster on esb, and should learn abit about boxing before you post again.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum