Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
poxv2

vCash: 500
Default Help convincing the fiancée that boxing is not that bad

Hi, first a little back ground, I have been with my fiancée for about 7 years now, and about 10 months ago I started boxing just to get in shape, wasn’t looking to spar just wanted the boxing work outs and enjoyed hitting the bag. I started sparing off and on about 7 months ago, and fell in love with it and the sport of boxing. My fiancée wasn’t too happy about this but she accepted it.. sort of out of sight out of mind.

Over the last few months a coach has been working with me and a few others after class cause he enjoys training us. He’s mentioned a few times that there would be the possibility of taking a Amateur fight in the future.

Now I passed that by the fiancée and she freaked and said I wasn’t caring about the future cause im putting my self at risk and a bunch of other random craziness.

I have explained to her its amateur, there will be helmets, the gym wont let me take a fight unless I had the skill level to defend myself (my gym is big on this, the owner is an ex boxer and he was never knocked out and wants the same for the people at his gym). But all this seams to be falling on deaf ears.

I really would like to take a fight sometime in the future just to test myself and say I did it and can look back on my time in boxing saying that I gave it a shot and I went as far as I could go. But not about to lie and go behind my fiancée’s back. I would like her to approve or at least grudgingly accept it, cause I want to spend the rest of my life with her.

So I need your help with different ways of trying to convince her about letting my take a fight. Or how you where or are able to smooth things over with your SO/wives on boxing.
poxv2 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Help convincing the fiancée that boxing is not that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxv2 View Post
Hi, first a little back ground, I have been with my fiancée for about 7 years now, and about 10 months ago I started boxing just to get in shape, wasn’t looking to spar just wanted the boxing work outs and enjoyed hitting the bag. I started sparing off and on about 7 months ago, and fell in love with it and the sport of boxing. My fiancée wasn’t too happy about this but she accepted it.. sort of out of sight out of mind.

Over the last few months a coach has been working with me and a few others after class cause he enjoys training us. He’s mentioned a few times that there would be the possibility of taking a Amateur fight in the future.

Now I passed that by the fiancée and she freaked and said I wasn’t caring about the future cause im putting my self at risk and a bunch of other random craziness.

I have explained to her its amateur, there will be helmets, the gym wont let me take a fight unless I had the skill level to defend myself (my gym is big on this, the owner is an ex boxer and he was never knocked out and wants the same for the people at his gym). But all this seams to be falling on deaf ears.

I really would like to take a fight sometime in the future just to test myself and say I did it and can look back on my time in boxing saying that I gave it a shot and I went as far as I could go. But not about to lie and go behind my fiancée’s back. I would like her to approve or at least grudgingly accept it, cause I want to spend the rest of my life with her.

So I need your help with different ways of trying to convince her about letting my take a fight. Or how you where or are able to smooth things over with your SO/wives on boxing.
Get her to come watch you train/fight. Hopefully she'll realize it isn't as bad as she thinks...
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

i can tell she wears the pants.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
poxv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Get her to come watch you train/fight. Hopefully she'll realize it isn't as bad as she thinks...
I think I might just do that... arange the sparing to be realy light too...
poxv2 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Show her a clip of Cotto vs Clottey xD
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

don't let james toney read this topic or hell go ape
dfh85 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

It's your choice in the end.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

I think there is information on USA Boxing's website about the safety of amateur boxing. It's full of all kinds of statistics about boxing vs other sports. And surprisingly enough, cheerleading is more dangerous than amateur boxing as far as reported injuries are concerned.
Do some research and come to her with some information showing that it's safe and that should be enough.

Like GP said, it's your choice in the end. Granted, she is your future wife, but you should come to some sort of compromise since you are actually doing something to stay healthy and fit. Would she rather you sat around eating junk and drinking beer? That's far more dangerous than boxing.
amy is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

She should understand if you love it and get her to see the positives it brings and how good it makes you feel. Tell her 10 year olds and girls do it haha.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Definitely show her USA Olympic Boxing Team clips, they are all class.

Explain to her it's a technical point scoring sport.

Get her to watch you train, that could impress her.

Also pull out the Ali clips, Muhammad is all class, people love him and he definitely represents whats good in the boxing world.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 01-11-2010 at 05:48 PM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Change your tampon, set down your purse and tell her you don't need her permission. I'd say you're a grown man so u can make your own choices but if you're making threads like this, I dont know.
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Show her amateur boxing and she'll see it is largely human fencing. Show her the stats and I'm sure amateur boxing is safer than american football, rugby etc I'm sure there must be less concussions etc The ko ratio in amateur boxing is terrible.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock49 View Post
Change your tampon, set down your purse and tell her you don't need her permission. I'd say you're a grown man so u can make your own choices but if you're making threads like this, I dont know.
Or maybe he loves his fiancée and doesn't want to have her upset over something he's doing.

Some of the replies on this forum are so childish.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Or maybe he loves his fiancée and doesn't want to have her upset over something he's doing.

Some of the replies on this forum are so childish.
agreed
amy is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
She should understand if you love it and get her to see the positives it brings and how good it makes you feel. Tell her 10 year olds and girls do it haha.
She obviously cares about him. He sees the sport he loves, she sees stuff like this in the papers.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is all most people know about boxing, you get hurt.
viru§™ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing