Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
trip09

vCash: 500
Default first class tonight

I'm going to my first boxing class tonight. What should I expect? What should I look for to tell if the trainer is good for me or not?
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179
Default Re: first class tonight

Have fun, be respectful and do as your trainer tells you. Pick up the basics first and then develop your style. It'll probably take a few weeks or months to get a feel for your trainer and if he's capable or not. But as I said, just keep breathing and have fun in there!
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip09 View Post
I'm going to my first boxing class tonight. What should I expect?
That depends. A warming up, followed by a boxing training, and then a cooling down. Boxing training could be heavy bag work, or combinations on the gloves, shadowboxing, callisthenics, etc.

Quote:
What should I look for to tell if the trainer is good for me or not?
You should not concern yourself with that yet IMO. If he throws you in the ring and lets someone beat you up, he's no good. For the rest you should do what he says without questioning it.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
trip09

Fair enough. I readily admit I dont know shit, and I am willing to follow anyone's lead. After all, I've never trained before.

Do you think he will give me some stuff to work on at home? this class is only once a week, but they have sparring days which he said I could come to and get some tips and training in from other fighters that are there to spar.
trip09 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
trip09

Shit. I'm not going to be able to start right now becuase we've had some unexpected expenses come up. gotta love building a home....

So, I've got just about every piece of equipment that I can buy at home. What do you suggest to get me started until I can get into a gym?
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Mr. V.I.P.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Shit. I'm not going to be able to start right now becuase we've had some unexpected expenses come up. gotta love building a home....

So, I've got just about every piece of equipment that I can buy at home. What do you suggest to get me started until I can get into a gym?
Run. Run. Run.
Mr. V.I.P. is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
That depends. A warming up, followed by a boxing training, and then a cooling down. Boxing training could be heavy bag work, or combinations on the gloves, shadowboxing, callisthenics, etc.

You should not concern yourself with that yet IMO. If he throws you in the ring and lets someone beat you up, he's no good. For the rest you should do what he says without questioning it.
Some trainers do that to check your natural toughness and if you quit after being hit in the face.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V.I.P. View Post
Run. Run. Run.
Agreed. Work on conditioning if you're out of the gym.

Sprints, pushups, pullups, that sort of thing.

The better shape you are when you go into the gym the easier it is to learn.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
trip09

Well, since the first triel run at the gym was free, I went to the class. ITs a little different than what I thought. The class is taught inside a ring. Within minutes I was throwing 6 punch combos as fast as I could. There were 5 others in the class and after I hit the heavy bag, we rotated through a defenisve circuit. Its more of a BJJ gym than boxing but its the only gym I have in the area. For $30 a month, I can train and learn 2 times a week. Thats not bad. I learned a lot tonight. Even if I go for a month every now and then until I get this house squared away, I can still train hard at home on off nights.

The trainer said that I looked good and I seem to have some natural ability. It was cool, even though I am literally TWICE the age of the most seasoned fighter in the class. Damn, I'm old.
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 AM   #10
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Well, since the first triel run at the gym was free, I went to the class. ITs a little different than what I thought. The class is taught inside a ring. Within minutes I was throwing 6 punch combos as fast as I could. There were 5 others in the class and after I hit the heavy bag, we rotated through a defenisve circuit. Its more of a BJJ gym than boxing but its the only gym I have in the area. For $30 a month, I can train and learn 2 times a week. Thats not bad. I learned a lot tonight. Even if I go for a month every now and then until I get this house squared away, I can still train hard at home on off nights.

The trainer said that I looked good and I seem to have some natural ability. It was cool, even though I am literally TWICE the age of the most seasoned fighter in the class. Damn, I'm old.

Sounds like you enjoyed it keep it up. You seem to have the right attitude mate
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
andriy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 100

sounds good if you want to have fun & be fit.

if you're looking to fight seriously, it doesnt sound anywhere near the right gym. depends on your aim.

if you're pretty open it sounds perfect.
for boxing, fitness is all you will need to worry about for at least 6 months.
andriy is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
trip09

i've been hitting fitness with boxing-like intensity since November. I was pretty fit before that but now I can really tell a difference. I love it.

I guess the bad part is that I am going to have to work on my physical training at home and then go in twice a week to learn technique. If I get to a level that I think I can compete, being 32 years old, I may look harder for a full-time trainer. I'm also going to have a hard time finding someone to do hard sparring with there I think unless there are other guys my size there. I'm trimming down, but still 215 lbs.
trip09 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing