Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #61
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Re: Top 5 most overrated boxers of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
you are very credible yourself picking joe louis to be the favorite to win against vitali klitschko and while nonetheless doing so by stoppage.
You are right. I should have picked an earlier KO. At least I can admit my faults.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #62
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As opposed to dedicating my life to talking about Ray Leonard? Your a sad, sad old man who probably lives in the basement of his mum's house with posters of Leonard all over your wall, with dart holes plastered over them.

Jones a top 10 fighter? ...Justify it, please.

I dont waste my time on people like you who bend over for media creations and have time on their hands to come up with a top 200 list
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #63
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Funny eneough I think Wills is getting overated. Oh and Bob Foster...
mattdonnellon is online now  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #64
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

David Tua
Terry Norris
James Toney
Oscar De La Hoya
Gerry Cooney
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #65
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
David Tua
Terry Norris
James Toney
Oscar De La Hoya
Gerry Cooney
David Tua was a good shout out. Cooney,Delahoya are underrated. Toney is rated about right so is Norris most people know that he had great skills but a weak chin.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #66
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
David Tua was a good shout out. Cooney,Delahoya are underrated. Toney is rated about right so is Norris most people know that he had great skills but a weak chin.
I actually felt like stopping at 3. I don't have a huge axe to grind with De La Hoya. I think he's a borderline great and fought with honor (whether I agree with some of the decisions or not). Cooney was coddled and definitely got his shot against Holmes because of skin color.

Toney was a good middleweight/Super Middleweight who was legitimately beaten by Dave Tiberi (I'm sure you're aware of this). I can't fathom Tiberi lasting more than 6 or 7 rounds at best with Monzon, Hagler or other greats. Toney beat a shot Holyfield and feasted on fat, slow, bigger fighters. He was way too inconsistent in my book. He also is a proven cheater. Overrated.

Norris had lots of skill. He also was a head case, lacked ring intelligence, and had a poor chin. It's difficult to find credible big wins on his resume. A case could be made that most of the big names on his record (Leonard, Mugabi, M. Taylor) were shot.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #67
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Norris kicks ass and we have the film to prove it. In fact, he kicked your boy's ass pretty convincingly.
My boy?
My boy is 36 and into UFC ,around 218lbs ,he would eat Norris.
You have me confused with a fan boy like yourself.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #68
jeffradka
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Sorry guys, i guess you could call this a troll post. The thing is i've been reading this forum for about a year now with intentions of gaining knowledge on past fighters i wasn't alive to witness the careers of. Time and time again i see these particular fighters praised and compared with fighters post-WWII who seem to get crapped on by many classic forum posters. I was baiting with this thread and i apologise, i just wanted to see your reaction and it was more respectable than i'd imagined.

Now, in my humble, opinion of limited knowledge, i will explain why i believe these fighters to be overrated. My opinions are based on articles that have been linked from here as well as (in some cases) limited fight and training footage i've seen of these fighters.

1. Roberto Duran - Looking at his numerically impressive record i can see why he might be so highly rated, however his notable wins were against Palomino and Cuevas, who were both beyond their primes and on their way out. This type of negativity is applied to (in some cases) all the big named wins of more recent fighters, but Duran seems to be immune to it. His other defining wins? He went 2-1 with De Jesus, won a SD against Barkley and ofcourse the exceptional victory over SRL. Every other career defining fight he lost...SRLx2(he even QUIT in a sorry fashion, which would be unforgiving for any other fighter, with Duran however the excuses hold strong), Hagler, Hearns, Benitez, (the followng are excusable but still big fights - Paz, Joppy, Camacho). In my opinion what it boils down to is his one victory over the universally bagged hated more than FMJ, SRL. And his tysonesque personna(minus the black skin and hood talk) which makes people hold him in such a high regard.

2,3,4. Dempsey, Langford, Ross. Even if you dig deep there is so little credible evidence to go on, unless you are all 100 years old and completely unbiased with these fighters you grew up watching. From what film there is, they do not appear to be on the level of any heavyweight superstar from 1940 onwards. Its the shoddy film that makes them appear poor? SRR looks great on film, Pep does, Moore does, Armstrong does, Patterson does. Yes you could say their records are what makes them great, but can you seriously say that Dempsey would stand half a chance of beating Louis, Ali, Holmes, Lennox, Holyfield?? And Calzaghe has a great record, FMJ does too, but you will pick their records apart all day...these ancient fighters only ever fought prime top contenders? only lost past their prime? Sam Langford for christ sake! theres like six pieces of footage! how can you possibly know his opponents were top notch? 300+ fights is great(although he either lost or drew a third of them) but how can you even rank him so high on merely hearsay??

I've been reading your threads for a year now. I beliee this forum to be vastly more educated than the general forum, but also vastly more biased, due to a mix of nostalgia and elitism. I'm just saying.
I agree with his main point. Most of the classic posters in here are all bandwagon boys. They pick apart modern day fighters, but they put these old school fighters on a pedestal to seem knowledgeable. Even though as you say, there is a very limited amount of footage. Oh well, the internets full of dueche bags.
jeffradka is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #69
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffradka View Post
I agree with his main point. Most of the classic posters in here are all bandwagon boys. They pick apart modern day fighters, but they put these old school fighters on a pedestal to seem knowledgeable. Even though as you say, there is a very limited amount of footage. Oh well, the internets full of dueche bags.
And people who cannot spell

TOUCHE! OR SHOULD THAT BE DOUCHE?
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #70
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
There is not a very limited amount of footage. The problem is that most people don't make the effort to acquire the footage, understandably so.

I do what I can to make this footage available so that people like you can see it and decide for yourself. But you shouldn't count out these great fighters just because you haven't seen them. That's ignorance.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #71
PhillyShell
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Joe Louis
Any four fighters before film
PhillyShell is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #72
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
And ignorant fools.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #73
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
  • Ricardo Lopez - Very, very good fighter from a technical and offensive stand-point, and he had the tools to give many trouble. But didn't have the resumé to earn a top 40/50 place, and I think some people over-rate him further when they say he could of easily cleared up one or two divisions north of minimum weight.
  • Julio Cesar Chavez - Tough, tough fighter for anybody H2H at 130 & 135. I little more beatable at 140, and I think he loses to probably all the elite at 147. His resumé is stretched but lacking in real depth and in real quality wins for him to warrant a top 20 place, which is where I've often seen him ranked.
I'll add 3 more when I can think of them. Dempsey, Johnson etc are too obvious choices to include, and they've been mentioned so much that they perhaps aren't over-rated anymore.

Those 4 will be on my list as well, for my 5th ill say Tyson.
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #74
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Most overated? Terry [Dresden] Norris

Nooris is ridiculously underrated, no one even mentions him anymore let alone to say hes one of the most overrated.
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #75
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Boom View Post
Nooris is ridiculously underrated, no one even mentions him anymore let alone to say hes one of the most overrated.
Maybe if you spent a bit more time on this forum you'd know what was meant by that remark. We have a little Norris/Camacho/Ayala trio that posts here and seem to think each of the fighters were untouchable. A lot of debate is sparked on their account. RedRooster would be the main culprit.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum