Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,748
vCash: 26665
Default Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight on Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Thoughts

This is the day defensive wizard Nicolino Locche became the Light Welterweight Champion of the World. I had never seen the fight until this morning (Thank you, Internet). It's hard to find good quality full fights with some of your lesser known important names on YouTube, as I'm sure you know. I thought this one was pretty decent and I'm used to only short clips and highlights with Locche and was pleasantly surprised to get to find a full fight and impressed with the video quality considering it's in '68 and they're not the biggest names, no reflection on their talent.


Here's the thing. I read something about this fight months ago that ticks me off in retrospect. It seems a complete misrepresentation meant to bolster the story of Locche's defensive ability (which doesn't need bolstering of any kind). Completely false, from what I take away from the video. What I'd read was that Fuji had basically not come out in the tenth out of frustration because he couldn't land cleanly and basically quit, ala Duran VS Leonard. They didn't even mention Fuji taking plenty of punches from the albeit light-handed Argentinian.

Surprisingly to me, I saw something far different than described. I'm used to having a different interpretation when I've read about a fight beforehand, but this was ridiculous. What I see at the end is very troubling body language throughout the last round from Fuji, and then a very necessary retirement in the corner. The language was not the expression of frustration, although I did interpret frustration much earlier in the fight at Locche's slipping his punches.

It looked to me in the last round as though Fuji might have gotten some Vaseline into the eyes and was trying to wipe them off on Locche's shoulder to clear his vision, then I speculated he tried to stay as close to Locche as possible so he had an idea what range he was working from because of his eyes closing up. It's hard to tell how bad the eye(s) were from what little I could see in the corner closeup, but I think at least one was fully closed.

Does anyone have a better insight into this? Am I seeing it wrong? What did you think about the fight? I thought it was a good fight with Locche doing his calm, measured work, mostly with his left through the majority of the fight. Lots of jabs and lead left hooks. Fuji seemed to keep his elbow in a useful place, always flirting with the idea of leading up with it, it seemed. I didn't see Locche even trying to use his right really until the final rounds and there were some sneaky short right uppercuts and a few one-twos. It seemed like the right only came out when it was safe and Fuji was ripe for the picking. Love to hear your thoughts, snippets you've heard about it, etc.


P1:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EDKsWOKIlo[/ame]

Edit: I took out the other parts I'd posted because I discovered it was a TOS violation to put up full fights. You can find the other parts pretty easily by following the link though.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsRX6r19ws0"][/ame]

Last edited by Boxed Ears; 02-01-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: TOS Violation Edit
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Couldn't tell you, all I know is that Locche completely and utterly schooled him. If only they kept punch stats back then. There were at least 1 or 2 rounds where Fuji didn't land a single clean punch. In fact, even the punches that would be counted as landing throughout the fight were grazing or rolled off. A pretty much pitch perfect performance from a defensive standpoint. If only he had more of an offense.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,748
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Couldn't tell you, all I know is that Locche completely and utterly schooled him. If only they kept punch stats back then. There were at least 1 or 2 rounds where Fuji didn't land a single clean punch. In fact, even the punches that would be counted as landing throughout the fight were grazing or rolled off. A pretty much pitch perfect performance from a defensive standpoint. If only he had more of an offense.
Yeah, I've never seen anybody praise him for his offense but it worked for him. He's got something like ten knockouts on his record in over a hundred fights. I did see one shot from Fuji that seemed to hit hard and clean in the second half but Locche is almost always moving away when he's touched, if he's touched. I should do a poll: Who hit harder, Locche or Malignaggi? Which one cracks an egg first?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,076
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

One of my favourite fights and probably my favourite clinic.

What always strikes me is that Fuji is a fighter than gets through on bluster and machismo. He's a bit of an animal. But he ends that fight totally broken. I don't think the stoppage was primarily for any other reason. He just has everything taken away from him. One of the great title winning performances.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,112
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

I was a fan of Paul Fuji when he won the crown from Sandro Lopopolo in that 2 round tko, and when he flattened Willi Quator in 5 in his first defense...he was a pretty much one dimensional type of guy who nevertheless did what he was able to do real well, ala Ingemar Johansson, and that was he could really HIT...but I knew he was going to be in for a difficult time with this Nicolino Locche character, whom I new very little about other than he was a tricky defensive specialist. I was shocked at how damned good Locche was, as he more or less, according to the account of the fight in Ring magazine, frustrated the life out of Fuji...exasperated him and demoralized him in taking his crown away by a tko. Years later, I finally got to see the fight on You Tube, and lo and behold...it was even more impressive than what I had read many moons ago...Locche did indeed "school Fuji"...never really hurting him with any spectacular displays of offensive artillery, but rather he mentally exhausted the man from Hawaii by making himself impossible to be hit solidly and turning insult to injury, hitting Fuji, however lightly, ast any time he wanted to. This fight, as well as all the other highlight reels of Locche's career emphasize Locche's genius as a defensive wizard, and in my mind was the most phenomenal defensive ring artist along with his counterparts in two distinctly different eras..Willie Pep and Sweetpea Whitaker.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,748
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
One of my favourite fights and probably my favourite clinic.

What always strikes me is that Fuji is a fighter than gets through on bluster and machismo. He's a bit of an animal. But he ends that fight totally broken. I don't think the stoppage was primarily for any other reason. He just has everything taken away from him. One of the great title winning performances.
So, do you-...Excuse me, I have to interrupt what I was going to say to mention your latest avatar is a doozy in a good way-...back to what I was saying- So, do you not think Fuji's vision was an issue?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,076
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Yeah, it's a beauty.

I do think his visio was an issue, yes. After all, his right eye had basically been jabbed and hooked shut. I don't think he had a foreign substance in them, getting your head into crook of the opponents neck is very good strategy given thet clash of styles. Certainly the corner showed absolutley no interest in watering the eye at the end of the last round.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Couldn't tell you, all I know is that Locche completely and utterly schooled him. If only they kept punch stats back then. There were at least 1 or 2 rounds where Fuji didn't land a single clean punch. In fact, even the punches that would be counted as landing throughout the fight were grazing or rolled off. A pretty much pitch perfect performance from a defensive standpoint. If only he had more of an offense.
I counted in afew of the rounds and I didnt get a round where Fuji landed zero but there was a round he landed one punch and it wasnt even a clean-ish punch as Locche rolled it.

This is one of my favrouite fights. People say Locche was more aggresive in this fight than others, I disagree I think he was just fully focused on the fight unlike other fights where he would be waving to the crowd, playing on the ropes etc... He was purely focussed and just battered Fuji especially with that left hook to the body.

Fuji in the end had his eye shut and did not have a clue what to do with Locche, he could not fgure him out at all. And in the end he didnt want to spend any more time figuring him out.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

I have to make a highlight. Locche is just brilliant.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,076
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Locche is the matador.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Fuji actually came into the fight as a big favorite based on what I've read.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

The scoring was in this fight was atrocious. Is it because it was held in Japan? Can't win rounds for missing punches. Locche is unbelievably poised. He looks like he has slow feet, but he doesn't. He has quick feet what he wants to. Just a defensive master.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
RightCross
Grandmaster of Boxing
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cincinnati Cobra
Posts: 5,266
vCash: 915
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

First, thanks for posting the entire fight. Locche, even though only working with the left hand for half of the fight was able to keep that pepper jab working on him all night. The Jab takes it out of your back and your will, thats why it is the most effective punch in all of boxing. Notice at times he threw the jab 3-5x consecutively. Fuji could never time it with an overhand right. Locche also dug that left to the body very effectively. Fuji did hit him with a shot that stunned him in rd 6, it was completely clean and an argument could be made he won that rd imo.

The most unusual thing I think from this fight is Fuji doing the "bobblehead" in the last rd. i have never seen anything like that in professional boxing,.

Last edited by RightCross; 01-17-2010 at 09:53 AM.
RightCross is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,748
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross View Post
First, thanks for posting the entire fight. Locche, even though only working with the left hand for half of the fight was able to keep that pepper jab working on him all night. The Jab takes it out of your back and your will, thats why it is the most effective punch in all of boxing. Notice at times he threw the jab 3-5x consecutively. Fuji could never time it with an overhand right. Locche also dug that left to the body very effectively. Fuji did hit him with a shot that stunned him in rd 6, it was completely clean and an argument could be made he won that rd imo.

The most unusual thing I think from this fight is Fuji doing the "bobblehead" in the last rd. i have never seen anything like that in professional boxing,.
That's it, RC. That's a lot of what I meant by troubling body language. Something was very, very wrong and I think it was a lot more than just being dispirited and scuffed up. I wish I could find some statements from either fighter about this fight.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,076
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Locche VS Fuji: Full Fight - Youtube - Decent Quality - My thoughts, Your Though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
That's it, RC. That's a lot of what I meant by troubling body language. Something was very, very wrong and I think it was a lot more than just being dispirited and scuffed up. I wish I could find some statements from either fighter about this fight.

I do hear you, but it's a little more than "scuffed up". His eye is shutting and he hasn't hit his opponent who is hitting him at will. Guys have qui over way, way less. The big thing for me is the corner. If he's got something in his eyes they would be all over that with wash. If he's got something in his eyes he's gone back to the corner, told them, and they've gone, "oh".
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013