Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
thugnerdx1
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Default How to react better for defence?

How do you improve your ability to "see" a punch. When I am doing mitt work, unless the punch is called out, I have trouble seeing the punch quick enough to pick a defensive maneuver to know if I should slip, or duck, or lean back.

Any ways to get better at this? Is their a part of the body that I should watch that can be a better indicator of the type of punch that is coming?
thugnerdx1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 1075
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugnerdx1 View Post
How do you improve your ability to "see" a punch. When I am doing mitt work, unless the punch is called out, I have trouble seeing the punch quick enough to pick a defensive maneuver to know if I should slip, or duck, or lean back.

Any ways to get better at this? Is their a part of the body that I should watch that can be a better indicator of the type of punch that is coming?

How long have you been boxing? Its about drills and more drills untill it becomes a natural reaction. Im sure there are ways to improve your reaction times which would help. But generally its practice and more practice until its just your muscles reacting naturally and you block it.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 75
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Learning that takes a long time of practice, first you have to master drills like john said.

One tip though, if you can't see the punches coming then try and be in a position where they can't get you. That means out of his range, move your head and keep your guard high. That way you can practise seeing them coming in a safer situation.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
CrocodileFace
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 81
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

When i first started my face was a magnet for straight shots... It comes with experience, I'm still relatively new to boxing but now see most shots as the man throws them... Sparring helps and my trainer throws shots and i have to block and roll them... You'll get it man just stick with it, staying calm is key.

Another thing i do to help is stand up tall, I'm about 6'4 so it's much easier for me to see shots coming UP than straight at me. If you have height use it to your advantage.
CrocodileFace is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Don't look for their punches, fire off punches of your own. Just keep a high guard when you're not punching, and when you are guarding only block about 1 or two before firing off again, don't let them unload.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Don't look for their punches, fire off punches of your own. Just keep a high guard when you're not punching, and when you are guarding only block about 1 or two before firing off again, don't let them unload.
Thats not what the person was aksing though was it?

So you never ever going to move your head to slip a punch in a fight? or bob and weave?
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Thats not what the person was aksing though was it?

So you never ever going to move your head to slip a punch in a fight? or bob and weave?
When you don't know what you're doing, then what good does that do you? Start off by keeping a high guard, for instance khan, clottey. Then once you get that down work on the slipping etc.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
When you don't know what you're doing, then what good does that do you? Start off by keeping a high guard, for instance khan, clottey. Then once you get that down work on the slipping etc.
How do you get better if you dont practise learning all the differet defensive manuevers, which was asked about?
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
How do you get better if you dont practise learning all the differet defensive manuevers, which was asked about?
I'm not saying you don't practice them, but don't rush into them. You don't learn how to throw combinations and hooks before you learn how to jab. Same thing with defense, learn how to block then fireback, after that you can work slipping and then firing back, etc
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 75
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
How do you get better if you dont practise learning all the differet defensive manuevers, which was asked about?
Yeah with the high guard you can practise reading telegraphs and being aware of whats likely to come at you without getting hit as much. As you practice defense maneuvers in drills, you can make a safer integration in sparring once you're more confident and aware.

Thats why these Floyd Mayweather weannabes are getting owned atm.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Yeah with the high guard you can practise reading telegraphs and being aware of whats likely to come at you without getting hit as much. As you practice defense maneuvers in drills, you can make a safer integration in sparring once you're more confident and aware.

Thats why these Floyd Mayweather weannabes are getting owned atm.
Yup, I honestly don't see why people try to get so pretty. I was watching a Khan fight and all he does is get his guard high and moves; he barely gets hit.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

High Guard, you are waiting to get Hit
scrap is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
Perky300
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 124
vCash: 1079
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

in boxing if you see an opening you've missed your opportunity!
Perky300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

i hate high guard i cant see shit and my left arm gets tired
dfh85 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: How to react better for defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh85 View Post
i hate high guard i cant see shit and my left arm gets tired
Then condition your arms, and it's not like you keep them up there the whole time. Attack, put up your guard, then retaliate.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013