Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #16
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Michael Brodie Comeback thoughts? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D
I don't write for Boxing News. Unless you meant BBN? In which case, if people are buying it, I want a cut of money being made. You disagree with me on this also, well you must be desperate to get me posting here so I will fire off a quick one

I've come to realise that you are more than a little bit myopic when it comes to Scottish fighters so allow me to explain.

Pre-fight the talk was that Harrison was too big for Brodie and that it was going to be cakewalk. It seemed that was going to be the case, especially when Brodie was visibly lighter than Harrison.

The atmosphere, the Scots did their bit on the night, was great for a comparatively small crowd and in the first round both men blazed away with body shots. It was all Harrison early, he landed a really crisp right hand, to the head, and Brodie went into his warring mode. They both got in good body shots in this round and Harrison, for the first time I ever recall after watching pretty much all of his fights, actually nodded at Brodie at the rounds end and smiled.

It was not his usual ****y smile and it seemed that he was acknowledging that Brodie was showing him a few things, likewise his strength was making it tough for Brodie.

Brodie then cut into him in the second round with left hooks to the body and from my seat in the venue (not sure if you were there) you could see Harrison's legs stiffen a few times as he absorbed the shots.
It was a really exciting round and got the crowd going but Brodie pulled up short at the end of the round as a rib injury suffered in sparring (against two quality young fighters) was made worse by a Harrison body shot.

The rest is history but Harrison, usually very dour and obnoxious, gave Brodie credit for a tough little fight while it lasted and no one who has seen the fight (I could send you a copy) denies that in three rounds Brodie gave Harrison more body digs, Harrison's weak spot, than any of his other challengers.

There was a sense of respect from Scott post-fight. Unless you want to say Scott had no respect for Brodie whatsoever after the fight thereby making Scott seem even more of a PR disaster than he is at present?

Or should we write this disagreement down to the fact that it was once rumoured you opened a thread titled: 'Lorraine Kelly has the tools required to beat Lennox Lewis?'
My my, oh dear oh dear & all that. Once you get to know me, you will realise I come from an angle you have never encountered in your lifetime on a forum. & as I say, its a great learning experience. OK I will come clean. I tried to dupe you into admitting if you wrote for BN, but you passed the test

Right. enough petty posturing, lets talk boxing. So you are saying it was Brodie sparring partners who beat Brodie & not Harrison?

You call me biased, but that line of yours about Brodie only losing cos of a rib injury inflicted by some bum in sparring? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Even I wouldnt come out with a whopper like that to defend one of my own.

Look in the mirror, & you will see me staring back at you. Think about it.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #17
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I wasnt aware David Payne was writing for BN, althugh Ive not bught the mag for a good 6months. For what its worth though I think Payne is a quality Boxing writer, one of the best out there at the moment. For those who've not read his stuff have a quick look at his blog site (link below).
Terry, along with Tom Podmore, are probably 2 of the best "young" boxing writers around at the moment. Very rarely do I read a poor article by either.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 AM   #18
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOrth
I wasnt aware David Payne was writing for BN, althugh Ive not bught the mag for a good 6months. For what its worth though I think Payne is a quality Boxing writer, one of the best out there at the moment. For those who've not read his stuff have a quick look at his blog site (link below).
Terry, along with Tom Podmore, are probably 2 of the best "young" boxing writers around at the moment. Very rarely do I read a poor article by either.

Thanks for posting the link - that sites a little gem!

Does anyone know if Terry D or Tom Podmore have blog sites as I often enjoy their articles and might pick up a few more snippets of boxing info?
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #19
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

We'll go up for the Thompson Anderson fight mate, thats assuming Mark beats Kev mcintyre and ando holds onto the british belt and fights him.
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #20
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Bad bad idea. I liked Brodie alot. The kid had balls of iron and was a very good domestic operator on an EBU level. But that step into true world class eluded him. Plus he used to mark up something horrid. He still has the desire but i dont want to see him get hurt in anymore wars.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #21
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Wasn't he robbed against Jorin?
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #22
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Bad bad idea. I liked Brodie alot. The kid had balls of iron and was a very good domestic operator on an EBU level. But that step into true world class eluded him. Plus he used to mark up something horrid. He still has the desire but i dont want to see him get hurt in anymore wars.
H was definately world class Scurla he drew with Chi, beat Jorrin (in most peoples eyes) and twice stopped Salim Medjkoune (wba super bantam champion)....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D
Elle, thanks for the kind words. I am working on this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and will mostly be hosting photos using it (no worries though Dunky as Ando photos will be up later on tonight) and writing a blog about my fight/gym experiences. May even take a trip to a fight in Scotland at some point

Thanks for posting your link - am glad I asked now!

Paid a quick visit to your page and was impressed - not just because you are a pisces like me - but considering its not been up and running long there is a fair bit of content on there already.

Good to see you posting on ESB a bit more - its definitely a case of quality over quantity (in my opinion) when you do make an appearance on the board!
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #24
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

I had a lot of time for Brodie and he did more than enough of with his talent, and should of been a world titlist after what should of been a victory over Jorrin. Also remember at 122 he beat another future titlist in Medjkoune in a with hindsight impressive 9th round stoppage.

At 33, two years without a fight and four years without a win I hope Brodie does not get hurt in whatever path he may choose to go down.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 AM   #25
DavidPayne
***.boxingwriter.co.uk
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Brodie won Harrisons respect? I must have blinked & missed that one

Harrison destroyed him, simple & plain.

My goodness, with characters like you & David Payne writing for Boxing news, no wonder their sales are going down down down...

The only thing more shocking than Boxing news backing an English fighter nowadays is them backing a scottish fighter, if you understand what I am saying...
Now then Dunky, how are yer lad?

Glad you enjoyed the piece
DavidPayne is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 05:14 AM   #26
DavidPayne
***.boxingwriter.co.uk
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOrth

Very kind of you to link and comment, its purely self-indulgent, but it attracts some regular traffic. I just don't always have time to update it.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 AM   #27
DavidPayne
***.boxingwriter.co.uk
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
Thanks for posting the link - that sites a little gem!

Does anyone know if Terry D or Tom Podmore have blog sites as I often enjoy their articles and might pick up a few more snippets of boxing info?
Elle,

Thanks for the commentary, a little sabbatical presently, but boxingwriter will be back soon.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #28
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPayne
Elle,

Thanks for the commentary, a little sabbatical presently, but boxingwriter will be back soon.

Welcome to ESB DavidPayne!

Now that I've discovered your site (thanks to NOrth) I look forward to seeing any updated articles - but don't let that stop you keeping us posted on here!
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #29
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

T-shirts that are on sale there are good too, boxing tee's are rare.
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #30
DavidPayne
***.boxingwriter.co.uk
ESB Jr Member

The T-Shirts are excellent, even if I do say so myself.

For Brits visit:

For Yanks

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum