Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
keith
ESB OG
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Here to annoy the looney left
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 1000
Default Top fighters of each decade.

Does anyone have the studious ability to go back and give me their top five fighters of each decade.


Not really interested in a debate, this is for research purposes only.

Thanks for any who can help.


Keith
keith is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Whats the started point??

100000 BC lol.

I suppose I can start with 1900 and up.


1900
Jim Jeff,
Joe Gans,
Bat Nelson
Joe Walcott
Ketchal

1910
Jack Johnson
Sam Langford
Les Darcy
Jack Dillon
Ted Kid Lewis or Jack Britton.

1920's.
Harry Greb
Jack Dempsey
Micky Walker
Benny Leonard
Johnny Dundee

1930's
Joe Louis
Barney Ross
Henry Armstrong
Toney Caniz
Jimmy McLarin

1940's
Joe Louis
Ray Robinson
Jake Lamotta
Billy Conn
Toney Zale

1950's
Rocky Marciano
Ray Robinson
Carman Basilio
Archie Moore
Kid Gavilan

1960's
Ali
Liston
Carlos Ortiz
Dick Tiger
Emile Griffith

1970's
Ali again
Frazier
Foreman
Duran
Carlos Monzon

1980's
Tyson
Holmes
Duran
Hagler
SRL

1990's
Holyfiled
Jones Jr
DLH
Chavez Sr
Whitaker

2000's
Hopkins
Tito
Mayweather
Pac
and Lewis


Yeah I know it has flaws, but I gave it a try.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
keith
ESB OG
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Here to annoy the looney left
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
Whats the started point??

100000 BC lol.

I suppose I can start with 1900 and up.


1900
Jim Jeff,
Joe Gans,
Bat Nelson
Joe Walcott
Ketchal

1910
Jack Johnson
Sam Langford
Les Darcy
Jack Dillon
Ted Kid Lewis or Jack Britton.

1920's.
Harry Greb
Jack Dempsey
Micky Walker
Benny Leonard
Johnny Dundee

1930's
Joe Louis
Barney Ross
Henry Armstrong
Toney Caniz
Jimmy McLarin

1940's
Joe Louis
Ray Robinson
Jake Lamotta
Billy Conn
Toney Zale

1950's
Rocky Marciano
Ray Robinson
Carman Basilio
Archie Moore
Kid Gavilan

1960's
Ali
Liston
Carlos Ortiz
Dick Tiger
Emile Griffith

1970's
Ali again
Frazier
Foreman
Duran
Carlos Monzon

1980's
Tyson
Holmes
Duran
Hagler
SRL

1990's
Holyfiled
Jones Jr
DLH
Chavez Sr
Whitaker

2000's
Hopkins
Tito
Mayweather
Pac
and Lewis


Yeah I know it has flaws, but I gave it a try.

Dude, I seriously appreciate it. I'm just looking for everyones input, as much as possible.

Thank you,

Keith
keith is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Billy Conn and Tony Zale were better than Ezzard Charles and Willie Pep? That's news to me.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
keith
ESB OG
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Here to annoy the looney left
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

We know you are the end all and be all of boxing knowledge.....but


Don't be the dick you usually are and post your list.


Keith
keith is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Well when I reach the 40's, there names didnt pop up in my head at the time lol.


I was just getting 5 fighters in each decade.

I suppose the Zale Rocky wars had the thing in my mind. Also I can see Conn being over Charles.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Ike Williams over Zale and Conn?
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
We know you are the end all and be all of boxing knowledge.....buy


Don't be the dick you usually are and post your list.


Keith
I was joking with him. He obviously forgot those two. That's the issue with making an extensive list like this, you're always going to forget some people. I'll have my lists for you later. If I posted it right away I'd just be editing it over and over again once a name I'd forgotten kicked in.

More than likely I won't be able to keep it to 5 names per decade.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
keith
ESB OG
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Here to annoy the looney left
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
I was joking with him. He obviously forgot those two. That's the issue with making an extensive list like this, you're always going to forget some people. I'll have my lists for you later. If I posted it right away I'd just be editing it over and over again once a name I'd forgotten kicked in.

More than likely I won't be able to keep it to 5 names per decade.
Cool, thanks. Whatever list you provide would be great.

Keith
keith is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

**** it, I'll just give you what I got so far. There will be many more additions, hopefully with me being helped out by the cast here on who I've forgotten. A lot of these fighters could've been considered in multiple decades, but I just decided to keep each fighter's name in one or the other.

1890-1899: Bob Fitzsimmons, George Dixon, Terry McGovern, Young Griffo, Jack McAullife, Tommy Ryan, Nonpareil Jack Dempsey, Jimmy Barry, Charlie Mitchell, Jim Corbett, Kid McCoy, etc.

1900-1909: Jim Driscoll, Abe Attell, Joe Gans, Barbados Joe Walcott, Stanley Ketchell, Young Peter Jackson, Dave Holly, Philadelphia Jack O'Brien, Jim Jeffries, Jack Johnson, etc.

1910-1919: Sam Langford, Jimmy Wilde, Jack Britton, Ted Kid Lewis, Johnny Kilbane, Les Darcy, Jack Dillon, Mike O’Dowd, etc.

1920-1929: Harry Greb, Benny Leonard, Mickey Walker, Gene Tunney, Tommy Loughran, Fidel LaBarba, Tiger Flowers, Jack Dempsey, Newsboy Brown, Midget Wolgast, Pancho Villa, Bud Taylor, etc.

1930-1939: Henry Armstrong, Barney Ross, Tony Canzoneri, Jimmy McLarnin, Kid Chocolate, Freddie Miller, Lou Ambers, Freddie Steele, etc.

1940-1949: Ray Robinson, Ezzard Charles, Willie Pep, Joe Louis, Manuel Ortiz, Ike Williams, Sammy Angott, Kid Gavilan, Marcel Cerdan, Jake LaMotta, etc.

1950-1959: Archie Moore, Pascual Perez, Sandy Saddler, Carmen Basilio, Harold Johnson, Joey Giardello, etc.

1960-1969: Cassius Clay, Carlos Ortiz, Luis Rodriguez, Eder Jofre, Emile Griffith, Fighting Harada, Ruben Olivares, Vicente Saldivar, Nicolino Locche, Duilio Loi, Jose Napoles, Dick Tiger, Bob Foster, etc.

1970-1979: Roberto Duran, Carlos Monzon, Muhammad Ali, Miguel Canto, Wilfredo Gomez, Alexis Arguello, John Conteh, Victor Galindez, Matthew Saad Muhammad, etc.

1980-1989: Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Jung-Koo Chang, Salvador Sanchez, Azumah Nelson, Julio Cesar Chavez, Michael Spinks, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson, Mike McCallum, Orlando Canizales, Aaron Pryor, Sumbu Kalambay, Julian Jackson, etc.

1990-1999: Roy Jones Jr., Pernell Whitaker, Bernard Hopkins, Lennox Lewis, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Ricardo Lopez, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Evander Holyfield, etc.

2000-2009: Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Shane Mosley, Joe Calzaghe, etc.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
samsuska
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

this decade would be floy, pac, hop and then who?

of discussion:
mosley has a good case, lennox lewis has like 7 fights but a case, joel casamayor is probably overlooked by many but good resume and h2h, marquez has no signature win but great h2h and solid resume of close calls, winky has a good case and the win over tito is reputable, cotto beat a lot of world class fighters but no signature he is clearly short, wlad had some poor losses but put it together against some okay comp (main challenge was the hungry peter), castillo lost all the tough ones but was in a great fight and arguably beat the main man, barrera has a solid case for sure but fell off of late, joe calzaghe has 3 top class wins and dominated the world class guys he fought, ivan calderon is a great boxer and all but we know none of us will include him.

i am sure i overlooked somebody, probably multiple people but ill go with......................

pac, may, hop, calzaghe and then winky
samsuska is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
keith
ESB OG
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Here to annoy the looney left
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
**** it, I'll just give you what I got so far. There will be many more additions, hopefully with me being helped out by the cast here on who I've forgotten. A lot of these fighters could've been considered in multiple decades, but I just decided to keep each fighter's name in one or the other.

1890-1899: Bob Fitzsimmons, George Dixon, Terry McGovern, Young Griffo, Jack McAullife, Tommy Ryan, Nonpareil Jack Dempsey, Jimmy Barry, Charlie Mitchell, Jim Corbett, Kid McCoy, etc.

1900-1909: Jim Driscoll, Abe Attell, Joe Gans, Barbados Joe Walcott, Stanley Ketchell, Young Peter Jackson, Dave Holly, Philadelphia Jack O'Brien, Jim Jeffries, Jack Johnson, etc.

1910-1919: Sam Langford, Jimmy Wilde, Jack Britton, Ted Kid Lewis, Johnny Kilbane, Les Darcy, Jack Dillon, Mike ODowd, etc.

1920-1929: Harry Greb, Benny Leonard, Mickey Walker, Gene Tunney, Tommy Loughran, Fidel LaBarba, Tiger Flowers, Jack Dempsey, Newsboy Brown, Midget Wolgast, Pancho Villa, Bud Taylor, etc.

1930-1939: Henry Armstrong, Barney Ross, Tony Canzoneri, Jimmy McLarnin, Kid Chocolate, Freddie Miller, Lou Ambers, Freddie Steele, etc.

1940-1949: Ray Robinson, Ezzard Charles, Willie Pep, Joe Louis, Manuel Ortiz, Ike Williams, Sammy Angott, Kid Gavilan, Marcel Cerdan, Jake LaMotta, etc.

1950-1959: Archie Moore, Pascual Perez, Sandy Saddler, Carmen Basilio, Harold Johnson, Joey Giardello, etc.

1960-1969: Cassius Clay, Carlos Ortiz, Luis Rodriguez, Eder Jofre, Emile Griffith, Fighting Harada, Ruben Olivares, Vicente Saldivar, Nicolino Locche, Duilio Loi, Jose Napoles, Dick Tiger, Bob Foster, etc.

1970-1979: Roberto Duran, Carlos Monzon, Muhammad Ali, Miguel Canto, Wilfredo Gomez, Alexis Arguello, John Conteh, Victor Galindez, Matthew Saad Muhammad, etc.

1980-1989: Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Jung-Koo Chang, Salvador Sanchez, Azumah Nelson, Julio Cesar Chavez, Michael Spinks, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson, Mike McCallum, Orlando Canizales, Aaron Pryor, Sumbu Kalambay, Julian Jackson, etc.

1990-1999: Roy Jones Jr., Pernell Whitaker, Bernard Hopkins, Lennox Lewis, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Ricardo Lopez, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Evander Holyfield, etc.

2000-2009: Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Shane Mosley, Joe Calzaghe, etc.

Are these in order?

They look like they are, I just want ot make sure.

Keith
keith is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Are these in order?

They look like they are, I just want ot make sure.

Keith
No order whatsoever. Just whoever came to mind first.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #14
andriy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 409
vCash: 100
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

Floyd Patterson needs to be in anyones 50's list.
andriy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #15
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,035
vCash: 418
Default Re: Top fighters of each decade.

2000-09:
1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather Jr
3. Bernard Hopkins
4. Marco Antonio Barrera
5. Erik Morales

1990-99:
1. Pernell Whitaker
2. Roy Jones Jr
3. Oscar de la Hoya
4. Lennox Lewis
5. Ricardo Lopez

1980-89:
1. Sugar Ray Leonard
2. Marvin Hagler
3. Mike Tyson
4. Thomas Hearns
5. Michael Spinks

1970-79:
1. Roberto Duran
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Carlos Monzon
4. Alexis Arguello
5. Jose Napoles

I'll try and do the rest later, noticeably absent is Chavez, maybe him in the nineties over Lopez?
essexboy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013