Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Boxing exhibition:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlx2wWDTMyo[/ame]


Uploaded by sweetfights.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,437
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Liston looks half switched-off. Fun to watch him ditch the Terrell jab though, and Ernie didn't like the left hook at 2.50.

Any back story here chum? The year? Did these two get on does anyone know?
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Liston looks half switched-off. Fun to watch him ditch the Terrell jab though, and Ernie didn't like the left hook at 2.50.

Any back story here chum? The year? Did these two get on does anyone know?
I believe the year was 1961. Terrell was a regular sparring partner for Liston.

Found this quote:

Quote:
“Ernie once told me: ‘Liston paid me my biggest compliment. Sonny was talking about me and didn’t know I was listening. He asked his trainer, ‘Am I sparring Terrell today? Man, I gotta duck down to his knees not to get hit.’
Liston wasn't kidding because he did that several times in the film.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,437
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Thanks, and for drawing attention to the footage. I liked it very much.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Thanks, and for drawing attention to the footage. I liked it very much.
Ditto. Almost sad to watch in a way though, the moves they can pull make it look like slightly slowed film of middleweights, it really is depressing how poor the skills of the modern fat heavyweight are.
mrbassie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,379
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Boxing exhibition:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Uploaded by sweetfights.
I have a Ring interview with TERRELL from the 60's referring to sparring with Sonny,Ernie spoke with real respect for Liston ,and said he had felt his power.
Never managed to see this before,thank you very much.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,426
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbassie View Post
Ditto. Almost sad to watch in a way though, the moves they can pull make it look like slightly slowed film of middleweights, it really is depressing how poor the skills of the modern fat heavyweight are.
They look like half-assed amateurs in this footage. Sure, Liston was a great but Terrell wouldn't make a decent opponent today.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,437
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Terrell wouldn't make a decent opponent today.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,379
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
They look like half-assed amateurs in this footage. Sure, Liston was a great but Terrell wouldn't make a decent opponent today.
Christ ,you are getting SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO predictable.
Thank God we are living in the" Golden Age Of Boxing", all these great Heavyweights around.
What depth,what talent, what skills.





What UTTER BOLLOCKS.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,426
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Christ ,you are getting SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO predictable.
Thank God we are living in the" Golden Age Of Boxing", all these great Heavyweights around.
What depth,what talent, what skills.





What UTTER BOLLOCKS.
Sorry, but that late 50's early 60's era of heavies was abysmal. I give Liston a good deal of credit of going thru those contenders like a hot knife thru melted butter.... but let's not kid ourselves, those contenders were, well, melted butter.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,379
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Sorry, but that late 50's early 60's era of heavies was abysmal. I give Liston a good deal of credit of going thru those contenders like a hot knife thru melted butter.... but let's not kid ourselves, those contenders were, well, melted butter.
I am not kidding myself.I used to watch those guys.
Of course I can't speak for you,still ,you have never demonstrated any reluctance doing that for your self.

Last edited by mcvey; 01-19-2010 at 06:50 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Good footage, never knew Ernie was Sonny`s sparring partner, cheers for the vid (& the comments)
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,426
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I am not kidding myself.I used to watch those guys.
Of course I can't speak for you,still ,you have never demonstrated any relutance doing that for your self.
Your prism of your nostalgia distorts the clarity of your judgement.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:02 AM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,437
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Terrell is better than eery single fighter that Vitali Klitschko has beaten, in my opinion.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #15
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,379
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston fighting Ernie Terrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Your prism of your nostalgia distorts the clarity of your judgement.
If you are going to attempt to use $2 words at least ensure they make grammatical sense.
The prism, please.
Actually I was never a fan of " Ernie The Octopus ".
Never saw the point of being 6' 6'' tall and fighting leaning over.
You carry on admiring the present clutch of obese behemoths.
headed by two big fish in a very little pond.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013