Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #31
Jersey Joe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 975
Default Re: How good was McCallum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
You think Marvin and Mike had better chins than Lamotta Jersey J?

Or am I reading that wrong.
Good point, I'd forgotten him and would have to put Lamotta on pretty much the same level. He never faced punchers as hard as Hearns or Jackson but he did take some frightful punishment and stayed standing.
Jersey Joe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #32
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
McCallum was known as a "head case" inside the industry. I also remember early rumours he was older than stated but can't remember what came of them.
I just watched one of his fights last week and they mentioned about the age. They compared him to Jersey Joe or Archie Moore for that reason. Something like that. It was on youtube against a kid named Randall Yonker.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #33
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

James Toney: the best I faced

Best fighter: Mike McCallum -- That’s an easy choice, right off the top of my head it’s the Body Snatcher. He was the best fighter I fought at middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight. Out of all the fighters I fought, I respect him the most because he made me think about everything I tried to do. Before McCallum I was just runnin’ in on everyone, but he made me slow down and think for the first time.

Best Boxer: McCallum -- Yup, it’s him again. It’s between McCallum and Michael Nunn, but I gotta go with McCallum because he was a master boxer who wasn’t afraid to stand his ground. Nunn was mostly fast. I admit that he outboxed me for about nine rounds, but my body shots slowed him down. I told him during the fight ‘I’m gonna catch you!’ And I did.

Best puncher: Merqui Sosa -- Sam Peter is the hardest puncher I’ve fought, but pound-for-pound it’s Sosa because he hurt me the most. I’ll never forget that fight, we fought on an ESPN show in Atlantic City on a Sunday. I went at him like I did everyone back then and that mother f_____ hit me so hard in the third round I was seeing triple for the next three rounds. He knew how to hit and he was so awkward that I couldn’t time him and he caught me high on the head.

Quickest hands: Roy Jones -- He was fast. I’ll give him that, but that’s all I’ll give him. I would have knocked him out if I wasn’t drained from losing 44 pounds in six weeks. I went in (that fight) like a fool and wasn’t properly prepared.

Quickest feet: Nunn -- He had some fast-ass feet (laughing), didn’t he? He was an escape artist for nine or 10 rounds, ‘til I caught up to him.

Best defense: McCallum: He was right there in front of me, but I had a hard time hitting him with clean punches. I basically came into my own by fighting him. I learned how to be elusive without running around the ring by fighting Mike McCallum three times.

Best chin: Tony Thornton: The punching postman from Philly! (laughs) I thought I was gonna knock him out easy. He was squared up with his chin right there for me to hit but I hit him with every punch I had and he wouldn’t budge. I hit him with my best left hook and he didn’t blink.

Best jab: McCallum: Mike’s jab was like a piston. There were other guys I fought who had good jabs, like Nunn and Jones, but they just had speed and they just flicked it. Mike popped that jab with authority. He was an old-school fighter.

Strongest: Samuel Peter: He was just a big-ass African with brute African strength.

Smartest: McCallum: Come on, who do you think it is? Who’s the one fighter I truly respect? You got it, the Body Snatcher, Mike McCallum. I fought my share of boxers who thought they were clever like Roy Jones, Michael Nunn, Montell Griffin, and Reggie Johnson, but they were all scared to really fight. McCallum boxed, he fought, he defended, and he didn’t run all over the ring. He could do all that because he was smart.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #34
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post

Best fighter: Mike McCallum -- Thatís an easy choice, right off the top of my head itís the Body Snatcher. He was the best fighter I fought at middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight. Out of all the fighters I fought, I respect him the most because he made me think about everything I tried to do. Before McCallum I was just runniní in on everyone, but he made me slow down and think for the first time.

Best Boxer: McCallum -- Yup, itís him again. Itís between McCallum and Michael Nunn, but I gotta go with McCallum because he was a master boxer who wasnít afraid to stand his ground. Nunn was mostly fast. I admit that he outboxed me for about nine rounds, but my body shots slowed him down. I told him during the fight ĎIím gonna catch you!í And I did.

Best puncher: Merqui Sosa -- Sam Peter is the hardest puncher Iíve fought, but pound-for-pound itís Sosa because he hurt me the most. Iíll never forget that fight, we fought on an ESPN show in Atlantic City on a Sunday. I went at him like I did everyone back then and that mother f_____ hit me so hard in the third round I was seeing triple for the next three rounds. He knew how to hit and he was so awkward that I couldnít time him and he caught me high on the head.

Quickest hands: Roy Jones -- He was fast. Iíll give him that, but thatís all Iíll give him. I would have knocked him out if I wasnít drained from losing 44 pounds in six weeks. I went in (that fight) like a fool and wasnít properly prepared.

Quickest feet: Nunn -- He had some fast-ass feet (laughing), didnít he? He was an escape artist for nine or 10 rounds, Ďtil I caught up to him.

Best defense: McCallum: He was right there in front of me, but I had a hard time hitting him with clean punches. I basically came into my own by fighting him. I learned how to be elusive without running around the ring by fighting Mike McCallum three times.

Best chin: Tony Thornton: The punching postman from Philly! (laughs) I thought I was gonna knock him out easy. He was squared up with his chin right there for me to hit but I hit him with every punch I had and he wouldnít budge. I hit him with my best left hook and he didnít blink.

Best jab: McCallum: Mikeís jab was like a piston. There were other guys I fought who had good jabs, like Nunn and Jones, but they just had speed and they just flicked it. Mike popped that jab with authority. He was an old-school fighter.

Strongest: Samuel Peter: He was just a big-ass African with brute African strength.

Smartest: McCallum: Come on, who do you think it is? Whoís the one fighter I truly respect? You got it, the Body Snatcher, Mike McCallum. I fought my share of boxers who thought they were clever like Roy Jones, Michael Nunn, Montell Griffin, and Reggie Johnson, but they were all scared to really fight. McCallum boxed, he fought, he defended, and he didnít run all over the ring. He could do all that because he was smart.

"brute African strength" That's one of the few times I've heard Toney actually be serious and not just sound like a trash talker. I wish he was like that more often. Thanks for posting that.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #35
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe View Post
Good point, I'd forgotten him and would have to put Lamotta on pretty much the same level. He never faced punchers as hard as Hearns or Jackson but he did take some frightful punishment and stayed standing.
He faced harder punchers than both.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #36
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Robinson? Satterfield? Marshall? Murphy? Nardico?
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #37
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
He exchanged a few words with Steward after knocking out Milton McCrory.

Steward holds McCallum in high regard still and has no hard feelings. The same can't be said for McCallum.
I can't blame McCallum for that, you'r manager is supposed to get what is best for you, he was clearly betrayed IMO but I would not call McCallum ducked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
McCallum by reports sounds like a right cunt outside of the ring.

An aussie poster was telling us a story about how he was travelling the U.S on the cheap and went into a few gyms to meet some of his fav boxers.
He was at a gym once and got several signatures...I think he got Howard Davis, Eddie Mustafa Muhummed, Jeff Mayweather and a few others.

He then went up to Mike, said hello and asked if he could get an autograph. McCallum replied that it would cost him $100 US. The bloke explained he couldnt afford it because he was backpacking. So then Mike just said well you dont get my autograph.

Apparantly EMM and Mayweather were shaking their heads, looking very embarrassed by the whole affair.
Apparently Joe Frazier is like that aswell.

Quote:
McCallum is greedy about money, which he explains is a culture thing in Jamaica, or atleast so he says in the interview about Hagler. On another forum there's a poster who is trained by McCallum and he describes him as very friendly.
I think he would be the type of guy that would'nt really have a lot of times for fans etc... but once you knew him he was nice.

I can't really add much but I really like McCallum stylistically.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #38
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Mccallum was good but gets so overrated now its funny.Ducked by Hearns,Hagler,Leonard?Please don't make me laugh.Duran-Hearns sold more tickets then Duran-Mccallum easy as that.Never heard Mccallum challenge Hagler from 1984-1986.Matter of fact Mccallum DECLINED a fight with Sugar Ray Seales because"I'm a jr.middle and Seales is a middleweight".
Hearns? Went to jr.middleweight to get to middle to challenge Hagler.Hearns always wanted to fight Hagler.
Mccallum?Got his shot on HBO and BORED everyone to death against the crude Sean Mannion who Mccallum should have stopped in 8 rounds only Mccallum let Mannion hang ALL 15 rounds.Not exactly making a case to meet the Hearns and Haglers.
Then when Mccallum finally had some momentum built up Kalambay BOXED his ears off.
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #39
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
He body-punched spectacularly, was a great inside fighter, and had an all-time great chin, probably only second to Hagler at middleweight - he was never stopped despite facing two of the hardest ever middleweight punchers in Jackson and Roy Jones Jr.

Quote:

Best fighter: Mike McCallum -- That’s an easy choice, right off the top of my head it’s the Body Snatcher. He was the best fighter I fought at middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight. Out of all the fighters I fought, I respect him the most because he made me think about everything I tried to do. Before McCallum I was just runnin’ in on everyone, but he made me slow down and think for the first time.

Best Boxer: McCallum -- Yup, it’s him again. It’s between McCallum and Michael Nunn, but I gotta go with McCallum because he was a master boxer who wasn’t afraid to stand his ground. Nunn was mostly fast. I admit that he outboxed me for about nine rounds, but my body shots slowed him down. I told him during the fight ‘I’m gonna catch you!’ And I did.

Best puncher: Merqui Sosa -- Sam Peter is the hardest puncher I’ve fought, but pound-for-pound it’s Sosa because he hurt me the most. I’ll never forget that fight, we fought on an ESPN show in Atlantic City on a Sunday. I went at him like I did everyone back then and that mother f_____ hit me so hard in the third round I was seeing triple for the next three rounds. He knew how to hit and he was so awkward that I couldn’t time him and he caught me high on the head.

Quickest hands: Roy Jones -- He was fast. I’ll give him that, but that’s all I’ll give him. I would have knocked him out if I wasn’t drained from losing 44 pounds in six weeks. I went in (that fight) like a fool and wasn’t properly prepared.

Quickest feet: Nunn -- He had some fast-ass feet (laughing), didn’t he? He was an escape artist for nine or 10 rounds, ‘til I caught up to him.

Best chin: Tony Thornton: The punching postman from Philly! (laughs) I thought I was gonna knock him out easy. He was squared up with his chin right there for me to hit but I hit him with every punch I had and he wouldn’t budge. I hit him with my best left hook and he didn’t blink.

Best jab: McCallum: Mike’s jab was like a piston. There were other guys I fought who had good jabs, like Nunn and Jones, but they just had speed and they just flicked it. Mike popped that jab with authority. He was an old-school fighter.

Smartest: McCallum: Come on, who do you think it is? Who’s the one fighter I truly respect? You got it, the Body Snatcher, Mike McCallum. I fought my share of boxers who thought they were clever like Roy Jones, Michael Nunn, Montell Griffin, and Reggie Johnson, but they were all scared to really fight. McCallum boxed, he fought, he defended, and he didn’t run all over the ring. He could do all that because he was smart.

Great stuff, Toney actually comes off as very likable there.

Betting he talks shit almost exclusively when he's around his "posse" or when he's trying to sell fights.
Russell is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum