Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #46
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 719
Default Re: less and less boxing gyms...why??? here is the reason

A big commercial gym should be ran by 3 coaches, 1 main 2 assistants would be enough, even amateur boxers as volunteer coaches would be fine. Groups split into 3, 1 for cardio guys, 2nd group for the learners that actually want to learn to box and compete 1 day and 3rd for serious guys. Main coach with the serious guys and assistants able to teach basics to the learners and get the cardio people going.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #47
poxv2

vCash: 500

Guess im realy lucky with my gym, it might be because Im in Edmonton and the boxing sceen here is still doing well.

My gym has 2 classes one for people who compete and then one for hobbiest/fitness, but even in the hobbiest/fitness class skills at still worked on and coachs watch to correct you, but that might be because the classes never get bigger then 30 people and even though you might never punch more then just a heavy bag they dont want you doing it wrong. The staff will come by to help correct your fourm even when you working out on your own. Only a hand full of pros there on a regular basis but lots of amatur boxers who have been dominating the local compitions.
poxv2 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #48
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy View Post
That's not always the case. The coach I have now gives almost too much individual attention to each and every boxer whether they are athletic and/or work hard. He treats everyone the same and worries endlessly about how to help the kids that don't pick it up naturally. He's super supportive and positive. He's a real gift to our club.
You're very lucky to have him Amy! he's a rarity.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #49
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
You're very lucky to have him Amy! he's a rarity.
I know! I'm so grateful.
amy is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #50
Mohak
RIP Smokin' Joe
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Lack of funding. Lack of interest. Boxing is one of those strage sports where interest is dependant on season or fighter in the headlines. Interest comes and goes seasonally/yearly.
Mohak is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #51
fireal221
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Just wondering, how long did you go? How hard did you work alone?
sorry for the delayed response dude... havent been on the forum the last few days. you may never read this response, but oh well...

I went there for about 8 months and worked alone most of the time. I was only able to get someone to hold the mitts for me a few times....maybe 3 or 4. All I was really able to do was jump rope, speed bag, and heavy bag. I even taught myself to use the speed bag. They wanted kids who really wanted to fight.. I just wanted to work out. It was too bar cause I liked working out there.
fireal221 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #52
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabox View Post
hi i live in toronto and i have boxed on and off for 15 years i guess and i have also done other combat sports like bjj,wrestling and a bit of muay thai...

i am 28 and as i have grown up i have noticed there are less boxing gyms then when i started and before i started there were more boxing gyms then when i started and i started to think of why......

first mma and other martial arts/sports are not really to blame

boxing coaches are......

i always had a strong passion for boxing and many of friends are also into boxing/mma etc

but here is the thing i have noticed from my own experience and of others i have spoken too...

the reason less boxing gyms are capable of being open are the ****ing so called coaches we have in north america.

example: many guys come to start boxing and are all happy but that happiness quickly goes away when day after day you have some grumpy
old and usually over weight guy telling you..."yeah kid go hit the back for 6 round and show box before that"
once in a while he might come tell use the jab more lol if your lucky

and if you compete then once a ****ing week he might give you a couple rounds of pad work.....

but most of the time you could be doing everything wrong but as long as thumping the heavy way or skipping it's all good.....

i remember i brought quite a few of my friends into the boxing gyms i trained at and they got feed up after a few mouths and left...some of these guys were tough guys with potental....

i remember when i was about 21 or so i got feed up as well after years of this and i started doing brazilian jiu-jitsu and my first class was an eye opener....
here i was paying the same as in boxing but i was actually being taught moves, we drilled the moves, sparred, had 2 coaches walking around fixing mistakes, this was my start....

as i got better and better, and did less classes....the coaches still came around fixed the mistakes and give advice even to the most advanced guys and we worked on stuff etc....

i did bjj for about 4 years straight and still go here and there,
when i did wrestling and thai boxing, i noticed again in those sports from beginners to advancedd fighters were still paid attention too.

even in non mma martials(mma martial arts aka those that work lol are bjj,boxing,wrestling,thai boxing and sometimes judo,sambo or kyoushin etc)

so even in stuff like takewondo and karate which does not work well, you still have someone paying attention to you and teaching,

point is you still getting something for you money....

back to boxing my fav sport and the one i am the most skilled at,

i go to the gym and pay 100 dollars a mouth to hit a ****ing heavy bag and teach my friend because the coach sit around doing nothing....but complain about not getting any students...
they even sometimes give me angry looks if i try help out a beginner by giving tips etc.....

dont blame mma, in fact i have noticed a lot of students sign up to boxing now because of mma....reason being they want to have good hands for that sport....

these coaches dont really coach anything and people get bored and frustrated and leave, and other go to these other sports where they are treated some that matters...

and the ones that stay often are not that well schooled and it is one the reason why you have better schooled europeans schooling fighters from here, because boxing is quite different there

but as a result of having less great fighters, the sports gets less popular...

remember this is not 1950 where you have to prove something to some fat coach so you can actually start getting something for the money you paid to train there, these days johhnny nobody will just go to the muay thai school across the street and you won't money to pay rent...end of story

i hope you have some comments

thanks
Maybe boxing coaches should be paid like MMA coaches ,which would solve the problem.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #53
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxon123 View Post
Maybe boxing coaches should be paid like MMA coaches ,which would solve the problem.
I doubt it. Just because someone charges for coaching doesn't mean that they know what they are doing or that they are a good, positive, motivating coach.
amy is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #54
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy View Post
I doubt it. Just because someone charges for coaching doesn't mean that they know what they are doing or that they are a good, positive, motivating coach.
It's mostly the coaches who DON'T charge that are the good ones.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 AM   #55
The Predator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well. this is an interesting thread. I have just started a new gym after leaving another.
When I started boxing 25 years ago the training I had was so bad that I as a newbeginner knew more than the coach did. So I changed club, obviously. The training was, warm up for 20 minutes, then skip for 3 rounds, then shadowbox for 3 rounds, then hit the bags for 6 rounds, then use the medecineball for three rounds, then do some sit-ups and push-ups.
I also was told, "donīt look at the proīs they donīt know what they are doing.
You understand why I left.

After a while in another club, similar trainig but with a coach that tried to show you the basics, but not good enough, I had the opportunity to train with a proboxer as a personal trainer.
Now I really was learned the craft and that was an eyeopener. He was a pro and he did know what he was doing.
Funny enough a couple of years ago I was hired by the gym I first started at to help out with the training, I had not been there in 25 years and I was chocked that the training they did was the same as when I came in there as a young kid.
The chieftrainer there was so bad I wondered what he was doing in the gym. I told him what to do and he said no, that donīt work, you canīt throw an upercut with your jab arm.
I helped out and soon the boys and girls really wanted my training, making the old man even more grumpy, I used a lot of teqniqual training that I used a lot my self.
We could not stay in that gym for long and started a new one recently.
Here we train with a lot of teqniqual traning and a lot of drills man to man.
Sparring where you use everything but go very light (around 30%) so you dare to try out those new things, very important. Then some days in week you go harder.
In my opinion you need to learn the move on an actual oponent before you can do it in a fight, doesnīt matter if you practice it on the pads for 100 hours, you still need to do it against an oponent and if you never get the opportunity to practice it you will never do it in a fight.
A lot of different things make boxing lose prospects to other martial arts and yes the coaches are definetly one of those things.
Hope i didnīt bore you out with my little story.
And yes, I just hired my old personal trainer as a trainer at my gym, now we really teach the guys and girls to box, probably making the old grumpy guy at the other gym even more grumpy and that IS fun.
Cheers
the predator
The Predator is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #56
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
It's mostly the coaches who DON'T charge that are the good ones.
exactly
amy is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #57
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Try coaching 30 screaming kids. Then ask yourself why not give them 5 rounds on the pads each?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #58
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Try coaching 30 screaming kids. Then ask yourself why not give them 5 rounds on the pads each?
Haha! No kidding.
amy is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #59
davenz
still waiting...

Man i agree with all this... i have found a good old skool gym (was at cadio box sorta gym before) but its the young fellas that get all the atttention, ive been there for a year and I take it pretty seriously and train every day. Only thing is there are no other heavyweights to spar with (or that want to spar), and without sparring my trainer wont put me in for a fight.

This is another reason why fewer people are boxing because it is just about ****ing impossible to do anyway, no matterr how hard you try
davenz is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #60
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabox View Post
hi i live in toronto and i have boxed on and off for 15 years i guess and i have also done other combat sports like bjj,wrestling and a bit of muay thai...

i am 28 and as i have grown up i have noticed there are less boxing gyms then when i started and before i started there were more boxing gyms then when i started and i started to think of why......

first mma and other martial arts/sports are not really to blame

boxing coaches are......

i always had a strong passion for boxing and many of friends are also into boxing/mma etc

but here is the thing i have noticed from my own experience and of others i have spoken too...

the reason less boxing gyms are capable of being open are the ****ing so called coaches we have in north america.

example: many guys come to start boxing and are all happy but that happiness quickly goes away when day after day you have some grumpy
old and usually over weight guy telling you..."yeah kid go hit the back for 6 round and show box before that"
once in a while he might come tell use the jab more lol if your lucky

and if you compete then once a ****ing week he might give you a couple rounds of pad work.....

but most of the time you could be doing everything wrong but as long as thumping the heavy way or skipping it's all good.....

i remember i brought quite a few of my friends into the boxing gyms i trained at and they got feed up after a few mouths and left...some of these guys were tough guys with potental....

i remember when i was about 21 or so i got feed up as well after years of this and i started doing brazilian jiu-jitsu and my first class was an eye opener....
here i was paying the same as in boxing but i was actually being taught moves, we drilled the moves, sparred, had 2 coaches walking around fixing mistakes, this was my start....

as i got better and better, and did less classes....the coaches still came around fixed the mistakes and give advice even to the most advanced guys and we worked on stuff etc....

i did bjj for about 4 years straight and still go here and there,
when i did wrestling and thai boxing, i noticed again in those sports from beginners to advancedd fighters were still paid attention too.

even in non mma martials(mma martial arts aka those that work lol are bjj,boxing,wrestling,thai boxing and sometimes judo,sambo or kyoushin etc)

so even in stuff like takewondo and karate which does not work well, you still have someone paying attention to you and teaching,

point is you still getting something for you money....

back to boxing my fav sport and the one i am the most skilled at,

i go to the gym and pay 100 dollars a mouth to hit a ****ing heavy bag and teach my friend because the coach sit around doing nothing....but complain about not getting any students...
they even sometimes give me angry looks if i try help out a beginner by giving tips etc.....

dont blame mma, in fact i have noticed a lot of students sign up to boxing now because of mma....reason being they want to have good hands for that sport....

these coaches dont really coach anything and people get bored and frustrated and leave, and other go to these other sports where they are treated some that matters...

and the ones that stay often are not that well schooled and it is one the reason why you have better schooled europeans schooling fighters from here, because boxing is quite different there

but as a result of having less great fighters, the sports gets less popular...

remember this is not 1950 where you have to prove something to some fat coach so you can actually start getting something for the money you paid to train there, these days johhnny nobody will just go to the muay thai school across the street and you won't money to pay rent...end of story

i hope you have some comments

thanks
I blame the school system...
PugilistStudent is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing