Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bigger Comeback KO: Marciano/JJW or Big George/Moorer

If memory serves, I think Joe Walcott was knocked out cold by that huge shot that Marciano decked him with.. Michael Moorer was very badly hurt and required multiple stiches around and in the mouth, but I don't think he was unconcious like Walcott was. Therefore, Rocky's KO was probably more devastating.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #17
ricardoparker93
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 5403

Foreman literally had no hope of winning that fight where at least the rock was wearing JJW down. In terms of how they were both doing in the fight I would say Foremans is the bigger comeback KO
ricardoparker93 is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #18
dbouziane
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
If memory serves, I think Joe Walcott was knocked out cold by that huge shot that Marciano decked him with.. Michael Moorer was very badly hurt and required multiple stiches around and in the mouth, but I don't think he was unconcious like Walcott was. Therefore, Rocky's KO was probably more devastating.
i agree 100% that the rock's ko of jjw was the more devastating of the two. but what do you think about the historical significance of both. one being the start of something great and the other being rather improbable (at least it was thought at the time)
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbouziane View Post
what do you think about the historical significance of both. one being the start of something great and the other being rather improbable (at least it was thought at the time)

That makes for a very interesting question, and one that would probably get different answers from a lot of various people. I think that its pretty hard to top the historical magnitude of George Foreman becoming the oldest man to win the heavyweight title and a two time winner at that. He also had a career that was divided by a 10 year retirement. Additionally, he was battling a 25 year old man who was undefeated and in the prime of his career, whereas circumstances were reversed in the Marciano-Walcott fight.. I will say however, that Marciano Walcott I battle was a true war, while Foreman vs Moorer wasn't. It was defenately the better fight from an action standpoint. Not sure which one holds more significance though, but for statistical reasons, I'll take Foreman vs Moorer.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
The Marciano one is more devastating.

The Foreman one might be more dramatic.

It's a tough one to call.
Foreman's KO over Moorer in '94 is the bigger and greater upset..... To me, Foreman regaining the title at age 45 from a skilled but chinny 26 year old Michael Moorer is the greatest sports comeback of all-time...... Foreman was ONLY a 2 to 1 underdog on the sports books, but, he was the underdog and hardly anyone truly believed he'd beat Moorer by 10th round KO!!

If memory serves me right, I could be wrong here, but I think Marciano was the installed as the slight favorite to topple Walcott in '52........ Marciano was dropped in round 1 and looked like a rookie in the early going before lowering the boom in round 13....... It too is a great come-from-behind win, but I'll still take Foreman's return to the top as # 1.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #21
dbouziane
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
That makes for a very interesting question, and one that would probably get different answers from a lot of various people. I think that its pretty hard to top the historical magnitude of George Foreman becoming the oldest man to win the heavyweight title and a two time winner at that. He also had a career that was divided by a 10 year retirement. Additionally, he was battling a 25 year old man who was undefeated and in the prime of his career, whereas circumstances were reversed in the Marciano-Walcott fight.. I will say however, that Marciano Walcott I battle was a true war, while Foreman vs Moorer wasn't. It was defenately the better fight from an action standpoint. Not sure which one holds more significance though, but for statistical reasons, I'll take Foreman vs Moorer.
excellent post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #22
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano's of course....taking a beating...blinded for 3 rounds...cut and floored for the first time...behind on all score cards...and then comes back with the most brutal right hand ever thrown to win the crown...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
dbouziane
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJim View Post
Marciano's of course....taking a beating...blinded for 3 rounds...cut and floored for the first time...behind on all score cards...and then comes back with the most brutal right hand ever thrown to win the crown...
all this is true. but some posters on here feel big george was in more dire straits in the moorer fight than the rock was despite being down early...and by dire straits i mean that he was less competitive in his fight than the rock was in his
Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

hard to say.

History wise, the Rock's ko over Walcott(First fight) gets talk a lot more than Foreman's over Moore.

Foreman was loseing most of that fight, were the Rock did his damage on Walcott before the 13th. Round 3 and 4 were pretty bad for Walcott, and the Rock landed a booming shot in round 7(The fame pic taking).

I put Marciano over Foreman in this regard, as the ko was the start of the Marciano era, and Foreman's comeback era??? was coming to end.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #25
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Foreman all the way......... A thrilling and historical moment in time.........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #26
dbouziane
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Foreman all the way......... A thrilling and historical moment in time.........

MR.BILL
like i said, i can see it both ways
Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #27
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbouziane View Post
No poll, just want the classic's opinion. both legendary champs, both behind on the cards in the championship rounds, both dropped their man w/ huge rights...

historically, which one is bigger? Rocky's b/c of what it signaled the beginning of or George's b/c of the age factor?

i can see it both ways just wanted to get yall's opinion.
I'm going with Foreman's KO on this. Oldest heavyweight champion. Dramatic comeback all the way. Further behind on cards. Moorer never knocked out before. Moorer undefeated at that time.
djanders is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #28
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Absolutely. Marciano/Walcott was an extremely competitive fight. Rocky was coming n and Walcott was tiring. Marciano was far stronger although Joe was still dangerous. If Rocky won the final three rounds or two of the three he would have won the decision, especially with a knockdown thrown in.

I though the question was best come from behind KO (comeback) ... as far as pure KO goes Rocky's was a better looking punch although anyone who says the Foreman shot was not major was wrong. Teddy Atlas dscrbes the damage it did from a physical standpoint as major.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #29
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Easily Foreman vs. Moorer.

Rocky Marciano was in the fight the entire way.

Foreman was not. Therefore his KO was far more surprising and given the magnitude of the event and the circumstances I think his comeback KO was simply bigger.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #30
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchamp View Post
Easily Foreman vs. Moorer.

Rocky Marciano was in the fight the entire way.

Foreman was not. Therefore his KO was far more surprising and given the magnitude of the event and the circumstances I think his comeback KO was simply bigger.
MRBILL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum