Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #31
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default Re: Bigger Comeback KO: Marciano/JJW or Big George/Moorer

Foreman - Moorer for the reasons outlined by Ironchamp. Though Marciano's KO looked cooler.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #32
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I'll say this - it is a testament to Rocky's power that the 13th round KO of Walcott was one of only 4 fights so far in over 100 years of heavyweight championship history where the loser was not just counted out - but knocked out. Unconcious. The 3 other fights where this happened were Johnson-Ketchel (but consider Stan was just a middleweight and looked to be coming round just after the end of the count anyway - plus in reality they had been playing 'lets-pretend' for 12 silly rounds previous before Stan got a bit to big for his boots), Patterson-Johansson II, and Tyson-Holmes (but both these you'd have to figure cumulative effect of punches immedeatly prior to the last shot also). so Rocky's really was a one punch knockout in the truer sense as in that round Walcott had remained unhurt (pretty much untouched) and even the jab before the right hand was really just a range finder which didn't really make contact - my opinion just one of those punches that as soon as he let it go would've knocked out anyone who took it fall force like Walcott did - only punches that really compare for me are Walcott's own KO of Charles, and the Lennox Lewis/Hasim Rahman I & II.

The Foreman-Moorer thing I'm thinking crucially that punch may have saved George's rep a bit - Moorer had been giving Foreman a drubbing up to that point (and the old man had lost to Tommy Morrison - and would later arguably lose to Axel Schultz) - also think Moorer got tagged properly because he kind of went to sleep for a second and he was a little bit chinny anyway.

So overall going with Marciano's KO as best come from behind KO (and best punch ever) in a really great fight against a greater fighter with a great punch and chin himself.
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #33
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Not to nitpick but Ketchel as not stirring, he was out cold.

You forgot Willard/Johnson, Dempsey/Miske, Carnera/Sharkey, Louis/Braddock, Louis/Lewis and Walcott/Charles to mention a few ... (there were three or four other Louis ones )

Again, I really do not think Marciano came from so far back .. the fightt was terrific and quite close.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #34
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hello Hegrant - i think you missed the point I was making earlier - what i meant was that with the Marciano-Walcott KO was that Jersey Joe was completely knocked out cold from one shot where as Willard-Johnson - Johnson was clearly not out as he was shielding his eyes with his arms and then got up immedeatly after the count finished and the ring got raided - i think there was something fishy about that one anyway but thats something for another thread I guess, was Miske out cold I've never seen the film (didn't know it existed) and i thought that was a multi knockdown thing, Carnera-Sharkey - Sharkey was clearly not out because he was writhing around on the floor as the count was tolled, Braddock himself said he wasn't out at all but his body just wouldn't respond, Lewis-Rahman I - Lewis was falling over himself trying to get up as was Rahman in Rahman-Lewis II, and Charles wasn't out because he got back up but just fell backwards again because he was so unsteady - thats the point Walcott was OUT OUT OUT - ASLEEP - also Ketchel was stirring I've just watched the film again and at the end of the count he waving his arms around while flat on his back in very hazy looking desperation/dejection - if you can find a Louis one for me where the opponent was completely out I'll take my hat off to you - don't think one exists - he had a lot of (probably the most) actual 10-count count-outs but don't know of any where the opponent was completely out as in completely unconcious. Not being funny or anything just making clear what i meant earlier - peace man ps how did you have the scoring going into the 13 round on that one?
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #35
dbouziane
East Side Guru

great feedback fellas
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #36
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Got it, my error .. Walcott was OUT !!
he grant is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #37
dbouziane
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Got it, my error .. Walcott was OUT !!
he was taking shots all fight too.
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #38
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Paycheck was out vs Louis.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #39
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Where the hell are we at here?

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #40
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Foreman.

Interestingly, the scorecards (according to Boxrec) had it 83-88, 83-88, and 85-86.

How, I don't know.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #41
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Absolutely. Marciano/Walcott was an extremely competitive fight. Rocky was coming n and Walcott was tiring. Marciano was far stronger although Joe was still dangerous. If Rocky won the final three rounds or two of the three he would have won the decision, especially with a knockdown thrown in.

I though the question was best come from behind KO (comeback) ... as far as pure KO goes Rocky's was a better looking punch although anyone who says the Foreman shot was not major was wrong. Teddy Atlas dscrbes the damage it did from a physical standpoint as major.
If I remember Teddy's book correctly, he said that Moorer's mouthpiece was split in half.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #42
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm bold.......... I had Moorer ahead by 7 to 2 in rds over 9............. Foreman had TWO solid rds going into the 10th and fateful round for Moorer.... Moorer 88 points to Foreman's 83 points........... Them scores were fair.......... Peace.........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum