Joe Calzaghe 16 51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Harry Greb vs. Joe Calzaghe

I doubt either of them wins this fight by ko, i rate greb but if calzaghe can beat kessler i give him a much better chance than alot of you against greb, i still favour greb but joe is a very good boxer.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #17
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 110

Do you guys actually believe that boxing is the ONLY sport known to man not to improve with time? Its not like sprinting or such where there is an obvious number that is changing with time, but its pretty rediculous to suggest that head to head without the benefit of modern techniques of both fighting and training someone from the stone age of boxing would defeat a modern fighter at a roughly similar level.

If you got someone who was an ATG of the past and gave them modern nutrition, technique and conditioning training they would very likely be just as dominant as they were in their own time. However, suggesting you could just pick up an old time fighter, then drop them into the modern era and expect them to win is just naive.
Sai is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai
Do you guys actually believe that boxing is the ONLY sport known to man not to improve with time?
There are some that haven't, and boxing may be one of them. But we needn't even go that far. Boxing has simply not improved rapidly enough to justify the idea that Calzaghe--barely a P4P top 10 fighter in today's era--beats the absolute best of the 1920's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai
Its not like sprinting or such where there is an obvious number that is changing with time, but its pretty rediculous to suggest that head to head without the benefit of modern techniques of both fighting and training someone from the stone age of boxing would defeat a modern fighter at a roughly similar level.
There aren't really any modern boxing techniques that are a great advance from the 1920's. Dempsey's "Championship Fighting" is still considered the seminal book of boxing theory, and it's drawn from 1920's boxing skills by a 1920's boxing champion.

It's as if (to use another track and field analogy) the "scissors" high jump from the 1890's was never improved upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai
If you got someone who was an ATG of the past and gave them modern nutrition, technique and conditioning training they would very likely be just as dominant as they were in their own time. However, suggesting you could just pick up an old time fighter, then drop them into the modern era and expect them to win is just naive.
Well, the rules would also tend to make for differences, just like they do in T&F. But that's another story.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #19
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If calzaghe beats kessler he is easily a top 5 p4p fighter as the ratings stand.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #20
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
If calzaghe beats kessler he is easily a top 5 p4p fighter as the ratings stand.
Yes, but he hasn't done so yet. Nor do I think he will.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #21
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Greb Unan Points over 28 rounds..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #22
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

We will just have to wait and see but i think he beats kessler and regains his top 5 p4p place.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #23
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

BORKED

Here is an indication of Greb's style, this primitive display transferred into a more aggressive fighting form would have done a number on an old timer like Tunney.

Sadly, no matter how much you turn this into an in ring style, it would not work on Calzaghe, because it's ridiculous in comparison. Anyway, no modern fighter 'spars' by playing patty cake.

Calzaghe tko 1.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #24
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
BORKED

Here is an indication of Greb's style, this primitive display transferred into a more aggressive fighting form would have done a number on an old timer like Tunney.

Sadly, no matter how much you turn this into an in ring style, it would not work on Calzaghe, because it's ridiculous in comparison.

Calzaghe tko 1.
1) Boxing manuals from the 20's and 30's are still valid today. Not just the general theory guidelines, but specific recommendations.

2) All of Greb's opponents were conversant with these principles.

3) Greb beat them.

How do you explain this?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #25
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
1) Boxing manuals from the 20's and 30's are still valid today. Not just the general theory guidelines, but specific recommendations.

2) All of Greb's opponents were conversant with these principles.

3) Greb beat them.

How do you explain this?
Evolution. Football is the same basic principle also, the players today are much better, world football that is, I know nothing about gridiron.

Tunney and Dempsey were simply awful. Even when you take into consideration the issue's with old film, you can still get the basics of what is going on. You have to watch that 'sparring' video and understand exactly what is going on.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #26
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Here's a match I know you will love Amsterdam

Harry Greb vs. Jermain Taylor
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #27
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Here's a match I know you will love Amsterdam

Harry Greb vs. Jermain Taylor
Painfully, I pick Taylor TKO 1.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #28
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
CT, you want me to get someone to try the the stance and guard - up on their toes, straight up, low hands?
There are some rather dubious recommendation in those manuals. Although I am going on achilles word here, as I can't see the books myself.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #29
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai
All this Greb shit is pretty retarded. Its like its some geekdom badge amongst boxing fans: If you talk about him then its obvious proof that you know loads about boxing...

You cannot talk about how good a boxer was when there is no footage of him in an actual fight. You cant compare someone from a totally different era against a modern fighter. ITs just retarded.
Exactly. There is no way I would vote for either man as I have not seen Greb fight.
And the problem with most boxing fans is that they fall into one of two equally retarded camps.

Camp 1: New is best. Basically no fighter from more than 20 years ago stands a chance against todays fighters, even though we have seen the likes of a fat, old George Foreman come and KO a top ranked heavy for the world title etc, we still have people who think that Joe Louis has no chance against Wlad because he gives away size.

Camp 2: Saying old makes you wise. This camp is perhaps even more retarded, they pick the likes of John Sullivan in their all time top ten heavys based off a few written reports of what a fighter he was and they will constantly talk about fighters as the best when the footage available is around 8 seconds of grainy, jittery crap.
These guys talk about obscure fighters from 1846 who would have destroyed PBF etc...

The fact is that some of yesterdays greats would be forces for sure, but as with most sports there is a progression and plenty of guys like Jack Johnson would simply be destroyed in the modern era. And that is based on footage, opposition and results plus simple athletic progression.

What would happen with Greb and Calzaghe is anyones guess, but from what I have read Greb made any complaints about todays dirty fighters sound ridiculous.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #30
Grebfan9
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

You cannot gleam a fighter's true ability from a sparring session!

Muhammad Ali, at times, looked bad in sparring, yet we know that
in real fights he got the job done.

Greb beat a large number of GREAT fighters, so this short sparring session of Greb with a middle-aged former champion is no real
indication of his true fighting ability.

Greb would, in my estimation, overwhelm Calzaghe and win an
easy 15 round decision.

BTW, Why do fans think that Calzaghe is so special???

Marvin Hagler and Carlos Monzon would have taken Calzaghe
apart!!!

Grebfan9
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Grebfan9 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum