Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Why/How did you start boxing? Share your story...

I started boxing when I was a young lad around primary school age, maybe a little older. I'd always had to fight as a youngster because I changed school regular due to problems with ADHD (which wasn't even an illness back then).

Even though I was quite small i'd always fight anybody who tried to bully me and people often tried to bully me because I was a scruffy little urchin and my mum and dad didn't have a great deal of money so I had BIG hair and rubbish shoes etc....

Anyway as I got older I found that I hated PE and just wanted to read, draw pictures and play board games. I had a best mate, whose now an author and we did loads of geeky shit together... I drifted right away from my chav-y start to life.

So I start secondary school and even though I had quite a temper i'd generally be more interested in making people laugh then having fights. So one day me an my pal John are on the bus home from school and a lad in the year above starts calling my mate names. The lad was a bully and known as been one of the hard guys in the year above (lol)! So i'm shitting myself- literally terrified that we're going to get battered off this older lad.

He's running up and down the buss like a maniac and finally our stop comes. I get off the bus with my pal and low and behold the bully- Andrew was his name, gets off too. He comes over to my mate and punches him right in the face for nothing.

I saw white with anger, 'shout come on then!!!!' and punched him as hard as I could in the face. I was 11 and you can imagine, tiny.... Anyway Andrew is knocked spark out and falls backwards over the library wall and just lies there for what seems like forever. Me and my mate legged it. Next day at school I prepared myself for round 2 and suffice to say he never wanted another go!!

The toughest lad in the year above, other then this boy was a local boxer. I loved the reputation he had, no-one would mess with him, he didn't have to fight with anyone to be left alone.

I started to take an interest and used to tie up coke bottles on the tree in the back garden. I'd fill them with water and punch them till they burst. I'd watch Muhammed Ali video's first.

Anyone shortly after that I joined my local gym (mathew Ellis' fathers gym) and here we are.... Whats your story?

brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
The Predator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Why/How did you start boxing? Share your story...

I never had any other chance, he he! My father was a boxingfanatic, he loved boxing and Floyd Patterson was his favourite. I started train when I was 15 cause I wanted to beat the shit out of my cousin cause he had stole a girl from me. however as you probably all know that is not the best way of motivation, (some new girls show up and you forget the old one).
My father rented a VHS during those days, early 80s, 1982 to be exact.
on that VHS there was different sports and there was one classic fight that really, really got me into boxing: Muhammad Ali - Cleveland Williams.
I was totally amazed! That was boxing for me. I made up my mind and in december 1982 I started for real, focused and knew what I wanted.
Now 27-28 years later Im still training as hard as ever, are in great shape. Today I am a trainer and recently chieftrainer at my own new gym.
So this is a new chapter in my life. All my new boxers are told to watch one certain fight: Muhammad Ali - Cleveland Williams.
My father is dead since 1993 but I still would like to say:
Thanks dad for sharing your interest with me, it has really given me so much. Boxing is my life.

All the best guys and girls, thanks for "listening"
the predator
The Predator is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
fairy-dust

vCash: 75

the same story for me i used to be tall and skinny well still am i joined boxing because i was getting bullied after a few sessions of the trainer saying i had a good right hand with some kind of power there all tho not alot at the time i went into my school after a few weeks and the next time the lad started to call me names chuck stuff at me or tried to fill me in i just gave him the biggest haymaker ive ever done in my life it didnt knock him out but it did rock him and he never done anything to me again but i still get bullied to this day and it will happen throughout my life my estate if full of tw*ts with the older lot trying to keep us all under control and the younger lot trying to take control so its like a never ending story haha hope my boxing can keep me from getting smashed up again one day
fairy-dust is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I liked to punch people in the face. Society frowned upon that. Boxing seemed like a reasonable avenue for such urges.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
Danny-boy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 7022

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy-dust View Post
the same story for me i used to be tall and skinny well still am i joined boxing because i was getting bullied after a few sessions of the trainer saying i had a good right hand with some kind of power there all tho not alot at the time i went into my school after a few weeks and the next time the lad started to call me names chuck stuff at me or tried to fill me in i just gave him the biggest haymaker ive ever done in my life it didnt knock him out but it did rock him and he never done anything to me again but i still get bullied to this day and it will happen throughout my life my estate if full of tw*ts with the older lot trying to keep us all under control and the younger lot trying to take control so its like a never ending story haha hope my boxing can keep me from getting smashed up again one day
keep working hard and the respect will come... believe me
Danny-boy is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

My family was always a big fan of the sport but i was bullied in elementary and that got my self confidence pretty low. I told my dad he told me to start boxing and the rest is history. (Bully included )
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Always was a fan of boxing, Junior year of high school I was busting my ass for football coming after school and before school running, lifting, etc. Tryouts came along and I was trying out for the receiver position, doing very well catching all my passes memorizing my routes. Day comes when we find out if we made varsity or not, I don't see my name on the list.. I talk to the coach and he says "We are looking for taller receivers." I quit, and remember hearing of a boxing gym nearby. Drove down there and never looked back.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
karatekid530
Milwaukee's Best
ESB Full Member

my boxing story starts with karate. when i was a kid my mom never taught me proper eating habits and i was killing myself with the crap i ate. i spent a lot of time watching TV/being anti-social/being miserable and grew up with shit like the power rangers. around 13 or so my friend Aaron started taking karate lessons and said i should try it. i tried it and fell in love with it. 5 years later i was obsessed and training 4 hours a day 6 days a week and had lost about 45 pounds of fat. i earned my black belt in my senior year of high school and wanted more, but money issues made me stop doing karate. i found a local boxing gym i could afford and went from there. i definitely have a unique style and outlook on the boxing because of my experience with karate and it shows here and there offensively and defensively. i love both arts and couldn't choose one over the other, but i do firmly believe that the version of me that earned my black belt on that night could kick my current ass without breaking a sweat.
karatekid530 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
Mohak
RIP Smokin' Joe
ESB Senior Member

Pretty brief story. Loved the sport so signed up to my local club. I started around 18-19 years old, realized I sucked, stopped a few months later due to the fact I was a gloryfied walking punching bag and I was flat broke and coudn't pay the gym fee. I'm planning on joinining up again soon.
Mohak is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohak View Post
Pretty brief story. Loved the sport so signed up to my local club. I started around 18-19 years old, realized I sucked, stopped a few months later due to the fact I was a gloryfied walking punching bag and I was flat broke and coudn't pay the gym fee. I'm planning on joinining up again soon.
I suck too, don't worry
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
HTownTexan

vCash:

I was always a fighter....as a youngster I often scrapped with bigger and older kids, I remember this one time at age 8, me and my friends were playing football, this kid we knew from school who was 12 stole the ball and punted it away.....then challenged us to do anything..I walked up to him, and I was so mad, I just hit him, he paused for a second, then it was on with us flinging punches like crazy at each other, all the kids cheering me on as I fought this huge 6th grader. We got tangled up and went to the ground, he manged to finally overpower me and pin me down, and then busted me up before my friends pulled him off.

I come home, covered in blood, both eyes puffed up ripped clothes, skinned knuckles two missing teeth (baby teeth luckily) dad tells me I'm starting boxing when I'm healed up.

But before that it was round two at school few days later, the kid was going on about how he whipped me bad, and here I am with two black eyes as evidence (although to be fair he had a couple brusies too)

So at recess he was still strutting around and even pushed me from behind to show his dominance, I leapt back up throwing fists and it was on...again. This time half the school watched. He was too ****y and it showed as I backed him up with some punches, then grabbed his collar, tore his shirt and pulled him down into a headlock then hit him with the other hand. The principal broke it up and I had my revenge.

Then I began boxing, he left me alone for a while, but then on the last day of school he wanted to go out with his revenge. He cornered me outside and challenged me. I said lets do it and the whole school was there, made a circle and egged us on.

He came at me and I simply popped him with a left jab, moved away, popped him again, moved away then bam bam bam 3 shots, dropped him, then stomped his ass into the ground.

Good times.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Told this a hundred times already, perhaps I should merge the threads as it pops up every few months.

Started boxing to divert my aggression after my father was killed in 2005, joined the gym end 2005 I suppose. Never intended on competing, I was basically just punching the bag and getting less fat and clumsy. Started seriously sparring in 2008, and since I wasn't doing all bad, I had my first fight in 2009.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #13
HTownTexan

vCash:

Last streetfight I was in is a rather amusing story......

Was at a bar, drinking with 3 friends, some drunk asshole keeps slamming into me as I drink. He does it for the third time so I tell him to f*ck off. He gets aggressive and takes a swing, I stepped back and he misses and is so drunk falls flat on his face. Two of his friends, not as drunk but getting there, come over looking to fight, they were both quite big, bigger than me, so they try and get physical and push me. I'm a lot calmer these days then when I was 16, 17, 18 so I try and calm them down, I turn to say something to the more aggressive one, when the other smacks me on the cheek with a punch, I turned and nailed him square on the chin and he goes out cold. His friend goes beserk and throws a volley of shots, I get hit with one or two before I hit him with a right and sent him staggering but he didn't fall, just grabbed on to a table and went on one knee.

The bouncers (both at least 6''4 and must have weighed like 260) come over, (the bouncers at this bar are notorious for kicking guys asses) and the two grab me, put me in a headlock and take me outside.

We get outside and they take me away from the main entrance, into a little area out the back. Then they let me go and told me I was f*cked. I shot back "you can only fight drunk guys assholes" they just cussed and then one tried a kick to my head, I jumped back and he missed, then as his leg was still extended I grabbed it and charged forward, he lost balance and fell on his ass. The other grabbed me behind in a full nelson and the other got up and came at me about to punch me in the face, before I knew what was up I lashed out and kicked him in the nuts, his face went white and the dude crumbled to the ground, and just lay there moaning. The other tried to throw me down but I stumbled and managed to regain my balance. He came at me at hit me in the side of the head, I came back and clocked him with a right as he went for a left hook, he got hit clean and stumbled but stayed upright, I went after him again with two more shots and dropped him, then proceeded to kick the shit out of his ribs. More bouncers heard the ruckus and came running out at me, but my friends had come out too.

What ensued was me and 3 friends fighting 4 bouncers out the back. It was a wild mess, I knocked one out, one other got hit with a trashcan by my friend, one of my friends got the hell kicked out of him, and then we ganged up on the other two and whooped them up bad.

Then we notice a crowd has formed and f*cking police sirens coming down the street. F*ck that, we grabbed my friend, ran out the the parking lot, kncoking people over as we went, jumped in the car and burnt serious rubber getting down the street. The cops and everyone else must have missed our number plate, and because it was a bar on the other side of the city we never ever go to no one knew us. It's been 3 months and we've heard nothing of it. Thank god.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Damn that guys tough
dfh85 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Mohak
RIP Smokin' Joe
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh85 View Post
Damn that guys tough

HTown is so tough that one morning he woke up, blinked and killed my whole family. Now that's tough. True story.
Mohak is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing