Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Walcott Louis III

Lets say that instead of being matched against Marciano, Louis was simply given the shot at Walcotts title (plausible scenario)

Would Walcott have had his revenge and how bad would it have been?
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Walcott Louis III

Walcott wins the 3rd fight of '51 or '52 had it taken place........ Walcott had finally found himself at age 37 / 38..... BUT! Walcott was a little chinny, so anything is possible......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

janitor i guess you dont like louis,for me at this point walcott comes away with a wide ud or even louis is saved by the ref on his feet late in the fight.louis is going to get picked apart:
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
janitor i guess you dont like louis,for me at this point walcott comes away with a wide ud or even louis is saved by the ref on his feet late in the fight.louis is going to get picked apart:
Walcott would have his revenge, no doubt in my mind.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
yeah walcott to fast of foot and also hand speed
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Walcott would have won this by a 15 round decision...in my opinion.
djanders is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
janitor i guess you dont like louis,
This is obviously the post of a new man who does not know Janitor.

For the record, Janitor is one of the very best posters on this site, and an avid fan of Joe Louis. In fact, he actually converted me into a Louis fan myself....

Anyway, as far as a Louis vs. Walcott fight goes, I can't provide an intelligent answer in terms of who would have won. On one hand, Walcott was at the top of his game, and gave some of the best performances of his career at ages 35-37.. on the otherhand, Louis had stopped Walcott, not too long earlier and was fighting more actively than he had in a while in the year of 1951.. Additionally, while the Rocky Marciano loss may have exposed Louis's age, bare in mind that the Rock was a totally different type of fighter who Louis said had a style that exposed his weaknesses.

In the meantime, Walcott was aging himself, and nearing the last fight of his career......

CONCLUSION: i think that even an aging Louis would have always been Walcott's " Iran Barkley ", in the same way that Barkley was for Thomas Hearns.... He knew how to beat him, and even though he would have been older, Louis was on a serious course for the title in 1951, with the right tools to beat Jersey.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Please read my response to this conversation and tell me what you think.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Walcott. He wins by a greater margin. Joe's reflexes and snap went from by the Charles/Rocky fight let alone by 53.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Walcott wins the 3rd fight of '51 or '52 had it taken place........ Walcott had finally found himself at age 37 / 38..... BUT! Walcott was a little chinny, so anything is possible......

MR.BILL
Can't beleive you think Walcott was a little chinny - I thought he had a great chin!!

But yeah I think Walcott pretty much had Louis' number - beat him quite clearly in their first fight in my opinion aswell so i kind of class him as having regained the title in a way - plus he had just become the first man to win a 15-rounder against Charles and the first ever to secure back-to-back victories over him too.

Interestingly back in 1936 the unknown 22 year old Camden kid Walcott was hired to join Louis' camp as a spar mate in the build up to Louis-Schmeling I - one of those stories was leaked out of camp that behind closed doors Louis had been knockeed down by one of his sparring partners - nobody knew at the time but it was Walcott. Billy McGraw a journalist for The Philadelphia Record quoted Jersey Joe as saying, "In two days I floored him three times, with 16 ounce gloves. With light gloves I'd tear his head off. He's too easy to hit"
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Walcott by dec. I don't think he would stop Louis, too cautious to commit himself to a full out onslaught, but he probably drops the remnants of the Brown Bomber ,maybe a couple of times.
By the time Louis fought Marciano,he was virtually a one handed fighter,relying on his once immaculate jab and a left hook that, though still authorative,had lost some of its speed and venom.
Louis' vaunted right hand, was rusted in it's scabbard, and his legs ,never very speedy were mired in mud.
Louis would finish this fight ,looking like Foreman did after Axel Shultz
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

if it happens when Walcott is champion, Walcott largely dominates, if its straight after the 2nd fight Louis stops him again.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Walcott gave a younger Louis all he could handle, and so the result is (almost) a foregone conclusion. I don't think it would be that interesting to watch though...Walcott would be wary of Louis and play it safe en route to a wide UD.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Walcott was starting to put it all together afther the 2 Louis fights and because of the some decent paydays had the luxury of being prepared for his fights and was on a pretty good roll. Also showed he could improve and learn. I think it would be a duplicate of the 1st 2 fights, only JJ would not get caught in the same trap and get ****y but would not be aggresive. He may put Joe down but would be content on putting rds in the bank and taking the nod. JJ was getting better UD15 over JL
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post

MR.BILL
Walcott took some great punches from many of the hardest punchers in heavyweight history and although he was stopped by Louis and Marciano, that does not tell the whole story and many a solid chin has been busted by those 2
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum