Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Walcott Louis III

Walcott would have won the third encounter by decision, unanimous.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Can't beleive you think Walcott was a little chinny - I thought he had a great chin!!

But yeah I think Walcott pretty much had Louis' number - beat him quite clearly in their first fight in my opinion aswell so i kind of class him as having regained the title in a way - plus he had just become the first man to win a 15-rounder against Charles and the first ever to secure back-to-back victories over him too.

Interestingly back in 1936 the unknown 22 year old Camden kid Walcott was hired to join Louis' camp as a spar mate in the build up to Louis-Schmeling I - one of those stories was leaked out of camp that behind closed doors Louis had been knockeed down by one of his sparring partners - nobody knew at the time but it was Walcott. Billy McGraw a journalist for The Philadelphia Record quoted Jersey Joe as saying, "In two days I floored him three times, with 16 ounce gloves. With light gloves I'd tear his head off. He's too easy to hit"
Walcott had Louis down a total of 3 times in their 2 fights, and was pretty much even with Louis on the cards.

Louis just had that "extra something" that won him the 2 fights.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #18
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Walcott took some great punches from many of the hardest punchers in heavyweight history and although he was stopped by Louis and Marciano, that does not tell the whole story and many a solid chin has been busted by those 2
Walcott fought an honour roll of heavy hitters,people should check his resume out before deciding on his durability.imo.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #19
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Please read my response to this conversation and tell me what you think.
Despite being the biggest Louis fan, apart from the barber in "Coming to America", my gut tells me that Louis's reflexes had dulled to the extent that he would not have been able to lower the show on Walcott, who was as slick as ever.

Do I even need to say that Louis is going to hit the canvas at some point?

Wish I was wrong.

Of course if you are right and Louis had won the title back at that age then it would have been an incredible acomplishment.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Third time would have been the charm for Walcott, much like it was when he fought Ezzard Charles.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
Ted Spoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

At the time of a third fight, Walcott would have zoned-in on the slowed reflexes of Louis and fed off the missed opportunities of not applying himself correctly in the first place.

The theory of Walcott's late-peaking was enhanced due to the fact his gameplans tightened as he went along, realising the importance of puttin' the hurtin' on when he'd made a dent.

Until then he had fought warily, as if afraid of gassing-out like he had done a few times in the past.
Ted Spoon is online now  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #22
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
This is obviously the post of a new man who does not know Janitor.

For the record, Janitor is one of the very best posters on this site, and an avid fan of Joe Louis. In fact, he actually converted me into a Louis fan myself....

Anyway, as far as a Louis vs. Walcott fight goes, I can't provide an intelligent answer in terms of who would have won. On one hand, Walcott was at the top of his game, and gave some of the best performances of his career at ages 35-37.. on the otherhand, Louis had stopped Walcott, not too long earlier and was fighting more actively than he had in a while in the year of 1951.. Additionally, while the Rocky Marciano loss may have exposed Louis's age, bare in mind that the Rock was a totally different type of fighter who Louis said had a style that exposed his weaknesses.

In the meantime, Walcott was aging himself, and nearing the last fight of his career......

CONCLUSION: i think that even an aging Louis would have always been Walcott's " Iran Barkley ", in the same way that Barkley was for Thomas Hearns.... He knew how to beat him, and even though he would have been older, Louis was on a serious course for the title in 1951, with the right tools to beat Jersey.
i dont kow really anyone but i like louis a huge amount myself but the louis that would of fought in this fight had little left and as the fight wore on his reflexes almost gone the dulling of his skills would of become more apparent i fear

Last edited by Mr Butt; 01-25-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Mr Butt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum