Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default What are your stick on victories

What are your stick on victories, fantasy fights where you have always had a strong hunch that one great fighter would beat another great fighter.

Im gonna go with Whitaker over Mayweather and Toney over Nigel Benn.

Give us some names..
gooners!! is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: What are your stick on victories

I always felt Bowe would have outclassed Lewis had they fought shortly after Bowe won the title.
Bowe had advanced far better as a pro up until that point.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I always felt Bowe would have outclassed Lewis had they fought shortly after Bowe won the title.
Bowe had advanced far better as a pro up until that point.
Yeah i could not agree more there. I think the only thing that keeps Lewis in a fight with Bowe is his overhand right, even then he would have to actually knock Bowe out this time instead of having the ref wave the fight off, and we know Bowe has balls of steel when asked to dig deep.

Also agree that Bowe was far more technically rounded fighter then.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Osceola
Journeyman

vCash: 75

Tyson over Ali.
Osceola is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

Pernell Whitaker would of beat Henry Armstrong, Benny Leonard, Ted "Kid" Lewis, Roberto Duran, Carlos Ortiz, Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather

Marvellous Marvin Hagler would of beat Stanley Ketchel, Mickey Walker, Marcel Cerdan, Dick Tiger, Carlos Monzon, Roy Jones Jr and Bernard Hopkins

A peak Evander Holyfield would of beat Dempsey, Tunney, Tyson and Lewis in there prime

Mike Tyson would of defeated Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney,

Larry Holmes would of beat Dempsey,Tunney, Marciano and Lewis

Sonny Liston would of beat Demsey, Tunney, Marciano, Holmes, Tyson and Lewis

Roberto Duran would of beat Benny Leonard, Armstrong, Ortiz, Chavez, De La Hoya, Trinidad, Mosley and Mayweather

Salvador Sanchez would of beat Willie Pep, Kid Chocolate, Naseem Hamed, Manny Pacquioa
sugarsean is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsean View Post
Pernell Whitaker would of beat Henry Armstrong, Benny Leonard, Ted "Kid" Lewis, Roberto Duran, Carlos Ortiz, Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather

Marvellous Marvin Hagler would of beat Stanley Ketchel, Mickey Walker, Marcel Cerdan, Dick Tiger, Carlos Monzon, Roy Jones Jr and Bernard Hopkins

A peak Evander Holyfield would of beat Dempsey, Tunney, Tyson and Lewis in there prime

Mike Tyson would of defeated Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney,

Larry Holmes would of beat Dempsey,Tunney, Marciano and Lewis

Sonny Liston would of beat Demsey, Tunney, Marciano, Holmes, Tyson and Lewis

Roberto Duran would of beat Benny Leonard, Armstrong, Ortiz, Chavez, De La Hoya, Trinidad, Mosley and Mayweather

Salvador Sanchez would of beat Willie Pep, Kid Chocolate, Naseem Hamed, Manny Pacquioa

You see all of these as "stick-on's"? No doubt in your mind, at all?
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
You see all of these as "stick-on's"? No doubt in your mind, at all?
Not "no doubt in your mind, at all" but from watching as much footage as possible and looking what each brings to fight, I'd call them cofident picks.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:49 AM   #8
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

I have zero doubt that Muhammad Ali would beat Tyson. I'm often a little mystified by how some people think Tyson would win.

Even in his prime Tyson could often be lazy when it came to fighting nose to nose, and would often just let fighters tie him up rather than trying to work inside or break free. Ali's favorite strategy for fighters swarming him? Dance, but tie them up when they get close, and Ali was a very effective wrestler with things like leaning on the other guy to wear him down, holding behind the head, pushing the neck down, etc.

So Tyson is not going to beat Ali by roughing him up on the inside ala Frazier. And I don't think I need to go into why he's not going to beat Ali on the outside. That leaves the only hope as mid range, and he has to charge into and past Ali's long jabs and rights while keeping up with and cutting off the ring on the fastest heavyweight in history.

When you add in the major stamina edge for Ali, the fact that Ali was never KO'd and the heart he showed in his mid and late career, to me it becomes pretty obvious that Ali would survive the early Tyson assault, take him into deep waters, turn on the heat late as Tyson loses his explosiveness, and take a decision or earn a late KO as he did with the iron jawed Bonavena. Tyson's best chance is trying to catch Ali cold and unready early.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali win over prime Tyson
Holyfield win over Marciano
Whitaker and Mayweather Jr over anyone ever from LW to WW
Morales win over Marquez
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Ali win over prime Tyson
Holyfield win over Marciano
Whitaker and Mayweather Jr over anyone ever from LW to WW
Morales win over Marquez
WOW WOW WOW, calm down now Maywether has'nt even beaten the best welterweight of his era let alone any all time great welterweight, Robinson and Leonard would of whupped his ass by Decision and Thomas Hearns Knocks his ass out and Duran and Pryor whup his ass on points and Whitaker would of whup him to. Mayweather is a great fighter and I rate him as the greatest superfeatherweight of all time and I don't believe any welterweight today is going to beat him but he ain't no legend his biggest victory is over a good but faded De La Hoya who Shane Mosley beat easier and more clearly in there first when De La Hoya was at his peak.

I do agree with you about Whitaker beating every lightweight in history but at welterweight I favour Leonard, Robinson and Hearns.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

One that I just can't see going any other way is Joe Louis to KO George Foreman - posted this one because I know probably alot would think that nothing could be stick on with Foreman's power and everything (and Louis' chin) but it's just my personal opinion that George is absolutely made for Joe Louis - it's one of those styles things - it pops into my head everytime I watch any of Louis fights. peace
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Bowe would defintiely mop the floor with Lewis!
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsean View Post
WOW WOW WOW, calm down now Maywether has'nt even beaten the best welterweight of his era let alone any all time great welterweight, Robinson and Leonard would of whupped his ass by Decision and Thomas Hearns Knocks his ass out and Duran and Pryor whup his ass on points and Whitaker would of whup him to. Mayweather is a great fighter and I rate him as the greatest superfeatherweight of all time and I don't believe any welterweight today is going to beat him but he ain't no legend his biggest victory is over a good but faded De La Hoya who Shane Mosley beat easier and more clearly in there first when De La Hoya was at his peak.

I do agree with you about Whitaker beating every lightweight in history but at welterweight I favour Leonard, Robinson and Hearns.
You're right i jumped the gun there. I think Hearns and Robinson may KO them both, but in my opinion its very hard to speculate because of Pea's and Floyd's incredibly effective and unique styles. However i do not believe that Leonard would be able to outbox either of them, and Duran and Pryor would be outclassed and lose wide, unanimous decisions. I'm talking strictly H2H, not resume, but i think in 30 years time when they have their own nostalgia points, mayweather's resume specifically, will look alot better than it does right now. I don't see any other LW-WW hurting these two fighters, or out pointing them.

I'll go ahead right now and lose whatever ESB credibility i may have and talk about Pacquiao. His career isn't over and he's unproven, but i believe he has a better chance at beating Pea or Mayweather than any fighter listed above. I believe he may have the pure speed to out point both fighter on sheer volume of punches. However he is unproven against power punchers that are naturally this weight and right now i would have to favour Hearns and Duran to KO Pacquiao. Pacquiao vs SRL i am undecided on.
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I have a very strong conviction that Pernell Whitaker and Julio Cesar Chavez would both convincingly defeat Floyd Mayweather Jr at lightweight.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
You're right i jumped the gun there. I think Hearns and Robinson may KO them both, but in my opinion its very hard to speculate because of Pea's and Floyd's incredibly effective and unique styles. However i do not believe that Leonard would be able to outbox either of them, and Duran and Pryor would be outclassed and lose wide, unanimous decisions. I'm talking strictly H2H, not resume, but i think in 30 years time when they have their own nostalgia points, mayweather's resume specifically, will look alot better than it does right now. I don't see any other LW-WW hurting these two fighters, or out pointing them.

I'll go ahead right now and lose whatever ESB credibility i may have and talk about Pacquiao. His career isn't over and he's unproven, but i believe he has a better chance at beating Pea or Mayweather than any fighter listed above. I believe he may have the pure speed to out point both fighter on sheer volume of punches. However he is unproven against power punchers that are naturally this weight and right now i would have to favour Hearns and Duran to KO Pacquiao. Pacquiao vs SRL i am undecided on.
Your intitled to your opinion but it pisses me off when people talk about Mayweather being in the same league as Leonard or Whitaker, Leonard beat Benitez, Duran, Hearns thats one of the greatest resume in the history of boxing now lets look at who Floyds beat at welterweight Zab Judah, Ricky Hatton, Carlos Baldomir, now come on he even struggled with Zabs speed early in the fight so whats gonna happen when the fastest welterweight ever and undisputed number 1 or 2 greatest welterweight in history gets in the ring with him, remember Leonard outboxed a master boxer in Benitez (who i also believe would of beat Mayweather) come on man you know Leonard spanks him.

I don't mind if you pick Sweet Pea over most welterweights because he is a genius and a top 5 Pd 4 Pd all time for me. but not Mayweather he has'nt prove anything at welterweight for me.

Also both Whitaker and Leonard beat Pacman in my opinion and clearly.

anyway don't think I'am being an asshole because I'm not, its just that I respect these fighters so much and I believe are much greater fighters than Mayweather and they have proved it the ring.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum