Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Foreman-Frazier 37 years ago

Jan. 22, 1973 ("The Sundown Showdown.")

I watched the fight in Austin on Closed Circuit TV as Big George bounced Frazier off the canvas.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
APJoe Frazier goes down in the first round against George Foreman in their 1973 bout. Foreman won in the second round.

more:
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Re: Foreman-Frazier 37 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post
Jan. 22, 1973 ("The Sundown Showdown.")

I watched the fight in Austin on Closed Circuit TV as Big George bounced Frazier off the canvas.

APJoe Frazier goes down in the first round against George Foreman in their 1973 bout. Foreman won in the second round.

more:
I was not old enough to watch it live... as I wasn't alive (Sorry if I make you feel old). But it was a terrific shock in the division. That is for sure.

"Down Goes Frazier!"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4-WjL8jIyQ[/ame]
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhhorn71 View Post
jan. 22, 1973 ("the sundown showdown.")

i watched the fight in austin on closed circuit tv as big george bounced frazier off the canvas.

apjoe frazier goes down in the first round against george foreman in their 1973 bout. Foreman won in the second round.

More:
,just back from the pub,thought the date must be a mistake !
Frightening to realise it is not ! Carpe diem!
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah yeah.....
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Anyone wants to debate the strength of Frazier's chin has to honestly ask themselves when they have ever seen another fighter get hit so hard and so often and still be back firing. Watch the shots he gets hit with prior to , during and after the knockdowns. Foreman's jab alone was harder than the power shots of most of the divisions best hitters.

Watch the right uppercut which causes the second knockdown in round one. It is far more brutal than the shot Walcott flattened Charles with "AND FRAZIER GETS UP AND KEEPS FIGHTING." His heart and chin were enormous. I honestly do not see an Ali or a Holmes or a Marciano or a Dempsey taking those bombs and come back fighting. Again I stress, watch the punches in slow motion so you can appreciate the volume of monster shots he took.

Frazier fought Foreman on his absolutely best night and it was terrorifying to watch.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Anyone wants to debate the strength of Frazier's chin has to honestly ask themselves when they have ever seen another fighter get hit so hard and so often and still be back firing. Watch the shots he gets hit with prior to , during and after the knockdowns. Foreman's jab alone was harder than the power shots of most of the divisions best hitters.

Watch the right uppercut which causes the second knockdown in round one. It is far more brutal than the shot Walcott flattened Charles with "AND FRAZIER GETS UP AND KEEPS FIGHTING." His heart and chin were enormous. I honestly do not see an Ali or a Holmes or a Marciano or a Dempsey taking those bombs and come back fighting. Again I stress, watch the punches in slow motion so you can appreciate the volume of monster shots he took.

Frazier fought Foreman on his absolutely best night and it was terrorifying to watch.

And very educational because it showed Frazier could only fight coming forward.
Remember those wind up toys you put on the floor ,they race off ,till they hit the skirting board,then they stop , pick them up, put them
down ,they do the same thing again!
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:

Well, I agree that it's quite the punishment he takes. Frazier never really proved he could take a clean power blow without getting wobbled or going down. But he was not someone that was easy to KTFO. Though, Frazier was out of shape here so it's a bit of a testament when his conditioning could have been better.

You're wrong on your examples though. Ali took a flush shot from Shavers and didn't even go down. Holmes would go down, and probably get up. Marciano wouldn't go down as much, and would get every time he was floored. And Dempsey probably would get Knocked out.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

that foreman woulda destroyed a lot of great heavies. undefeated and knocking all out quickly, his confidence was at his peak and that right uppercut was his main deadly weapon (if it landed you were going down). some fighters lose that confidence completely when they first
lose a fight and are never the same after e.g. foreman, tyson etc.. if you're talking about peak foreman using his strengths (he was never a boxer he was a 2 round all out wrecking machine) then this is the fight to watch. the later version still had the punch but this version woulda buried him quick. frazier was undefeated and look what happens........
groove is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

37 years later, and it's still the most incredible sight I've ever seen in boxing.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Princess if you properly read a post rather them sped to another snappy response you'd be know for the quality of your posts rather than the quantity.

Last edited by he grant; 01-24-2010 at 12:26 PM.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Not the FOTC conditioned Frazier, slightly past it here, but the man was still dangerous as the champion going into this fight. I don't know if Foreman was being nice, but on more than one occasion in different interviews, justified Frazier's greatness such that he was the only heavyweight that put fear into him. He was scared to fight Frazier but knew he wasn't close to the fighter that beat Ali 2 years earlier and actually acknowledged that it might have been a different outcome if they fought when Frazier was at his best. Regardless, this version of Foreman was deadly and there aren't many, if at all that I would put my money on to beat him.

Maybe 1960's Ali, maybe late 1970's/early 1980's Larry Holmes, maybe 1986-1987 Mike Tyson, maybe late 1960's Frazier, but very few others I'd give a legit shot at beating 1973 George Foreman.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I honestly do not see an Ali or a Holmes or a Marciano or a Dempsey taking those bombs and come back fighting.
Well, Ali actually beat Foreman by allowing George to have throw everything he had at him. And though Muhammad avoided many of Foreman's punches, he did take a few flush shots.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraq View Post
Well, Ali actually beat Foreman by allowing George to have throw everything he had at him. And though Muhammad avoided many of Foreman's punches, he did take a few flush shots.
Nothing like the clean uppercut shot he landed against Frazier in Jamaica, or the straight right hand he landed against a backpedalling Norton. I'd bet on Ali going down against Big George if he landed the same type of punches with devasting effect that he did against Frazier and Norton. George did land a couple of good bombs, but nothing like the clean shots against Futch's men.
round15 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum