Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
kirc

vCash: 500
Default Re: "Better Modern Training" and Muhammad Ali

oh gee,i' m a boxing fan for fifty yrs. never heard of super heavy weight division ever that's stupid
kirc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
Beau Geste
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
This is what I find incomprehensible about the "better training" argument.

Why would anybody in their right mind want to change, or try to improve a prime Muhamad Ali?

There is a bit of a double standard where this argument is applied. Some people want to use the "all sports advance" argument, but then have progress stopping in the late 1960s to protect their favourite fighter.

The bottom line in boxing, is that if John L Sullivan hits Wladamir Klitschko under the right circumstances he is going down.
Beau Geste is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Its because Ali relies on speed/movement/skill and not power/size/strength. Ali has shown he is very good against bigger slower men. Skill wise Ali is better than Lennox, Lennox is more arguably more skillfull than Liston/Louis and hes bigger/rangier, and very fast.

Vitali is unorthodox but very effective, I'm not 100% sure on how he does against Louis/Liston, but he may well win, especially against Liston, hes a nightmare fight in many ways. And remember I've being Vitali's biggest critic and hate his twaty fanboys

I dont think Ali necessarily has an easy night with Lennox/vitali, but he beats both
Lennox would give Ali trouble although Ali would still win a decision,But Ali would make Vitali look foolish,you are analyzing that fight to much just look at Vitali fight and then look at Ali. This isnt rocket science. Vitali is to mechanichal for Ali style wise .Ali peppers him for most of the fight and opens cuts on Vitali gets tired going after Ali by the 12th or 13th they stop it.

Last edited by anarci; 01-25-2010 at 03:16 AM.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 AM   #19
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4890

Quote:
Its because Ali relies on speed/movement/skill and not power/size/strength.
no. without his size his jab and overhand right could not have been the same. and his power would have been even smaller.

Quote:
Ali has shown he is very good against bigger slower men.
like whom ? Foreman who was 0.5" taller and 3.5lbs heavier and 25 years old ?
richard dunn who was 1" taller and 11lbs lighter ?
Joe Bugner who was 1" taller ?
[/quote]
Ali was the Lennox Lewis of his time with the only difference that he also had a chin. a behemoth heavyweight for his time. he used to have a big advantage in size and rarely had a mere slight size disadvantage and on those rare occasions had the statistical luck of facing a green/talentless (or both) opponent .
more like the vitali klitschko of his time , but a little smaller , even for his time. (yes , i know that significantly smaller in absolute measurements)
Quote:
Skill wise Ali is better than Lennox, Lennox is more arguably more skillfull than Liston/Louis and hes bigger/rangier, and very fast.
skill wise ali is about the same level as lennox , depending on opponents , and also dirty about the same and similar methods.
lennox was not fast , ali , however was fast and definitely had the better chin between the two.
Quote:
Vitali is unorthodox but very effective, I'm not 100% sure on how he does against Louis/Liston
vitali would have abused both who would either retire on their stool between rounds or saved by the ref/corner.
maybe they could get a barerra / witherspoon type of DQ to save their record.

Quote:
I dont think Ali necessarily has an easy night with Lennox/vitali, but he beats both
maybe against lewis he has a chance to come out with some controversial close decision , against vitali he only has the chance and hope to last a 15 rounds long beating which he will later be renowned for and that would have shorten his career and therefore make him a not ATG. i , however think that there is a good chance for him being stopped inside 12 , but , probably he could last 12 .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #20
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osceola View Post
Wlad would have stood a very good chance at beating ali.
His main weakness is having a bad chin, but Ali wasn't exactly a bomber.

He'd be like a 6'6 250 pound Ken Norton.
true , so he would have beaten ali , agreed.
frankenfrank is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum