Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #31
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Burns vs Bill Squires (1907)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
I gotta admit, I am much more intrigued by Jim Jeffries and his story compared to the tale of Tommy Burns......... No real reason why, its just that I am.... I find Jeffries to be this big man of great strength and coordination at over 6' tall and a solid 220 to 227 pounds for the time / era of 1900--circa.........

Great dream fights to me are: "Jeffries versus Dempsey or Marciano." I'll pay the piper in the after life to witness them matches in either heaven or hell....... I'm willing to travel and vacation in both places to see those fights........... Damn straight.........

MR.BILL
lol... Hell it is Bill..

King will be the promoter, and he aint going to heaven. Just like all other fighters, he'll promise heaven and drag them into hell.

Be sure to dress light and wear sunscreen.
flamengo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #32
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Fair enough.. each to their own.

For a M/W to LH/W lil' Tommy travelled pretty well in the H/W ranks. Each title defence ending in KO's, other than those which saw Phila Jack run to the hills for 20 rounds.

Constantly giving away lbs, and always fighting larger men, lil' Tommy proved himself a serious fighter/puncher.
Is there a book released on his career?? I'd definately like to read whats available. Perhaps not everyone's cup o' tea, regardless the story would be very colourful.
Flamengo what do you know of Colin Bell another world rated Aussie Heavyweight of the pre-1920's era?

There's not a lot written about him (especially here in Australia) nowadays but if memory serves he fought Sam Langford to a draw,gave Sam McVey a serious tussle,as well as fighting several other top fighters of the day.

Considering Australia hasn't produced too many great heavies he deserves to be remembered better imo.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #33
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Kali Meehan........ He's great..... well, isn't he? Aussieville is still trying to get him another title shot.........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #34
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
Flamengo what do you know of Colin Bell another world rated Aussie Heavyweight of the pre-1920's era?

There's not a lot written about him (especially here in Australia) nowadays but if memory serves he fought Sam Langford to a draw,gave Sam McVey a serious tussle,as well as fighting several other top fighters of the day.

Considering Australia hasn't produced too many great heavies he deserves to be remembered better imo.
Same as Bill Squires, Bell had a career in the 'Golden Age' of turmoiled H/W Champions/fighters..

Fighting Langford x2, McVea x2 and Joe Janette, Im sure he's the only H/W to have tackled all three???
The only books that pay any hommage to Colin Bell, as far as I know, are 'Two Champs from Narrabri" by Max Ryan, "Heroes of the Fancy" by Arnold Thomas, and "SAM Langford; Boxings Greatest Uncrowned Champion" by Clay Moyle.

Hints of Colin Bell would be found in most Bio's on Jack Johnson, purely relating to the business of McVea, Jannette and Langford at different times.. I'd guess. Minor mentions in Les Darcy bio's are also made.

Tom Heeney's Bio's would be another source. If you'd like a copy of Two Champs.. PM me or, I'll pass on my number.
flamengo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum