Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Arguello vs Mayweather/ Pacquao @ 130

How does he do against these guys at super feather?
masterold is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Arguello vs Mayweather/ Pacquao @ 130

At 15 rds, beats both in a blood letting.

At 12 rds, PBF outpoints him.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Arguello beats both IMO.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'd favor him over Pac by KO, but not Floyd. I think Floyd had the style, skills, and physical attributes needed to win a decision over Arguello. At least over 12.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think Arguello wins both.
De La Hoya won a lot of the early rounds by backing Maywaeather up with his jab. In Arguello he would be up against someone with a geat jab, a lot taller and with a longer reach, good work rate, and great power. Plus Arguello would have the stamina to keep the jab going for the whole fight. Although at 130 Mayweather was a lot more active I think he would be wary of Arguello's accuracy and power and not want to stay close and would try to pot shot and land flurries. Arguello would land big shots and hurt him on the way to winning a decision.

Pacquaio would have success early with his speed but eventually Arguello would begin to time him coming in probably knock him down with a counter right hand that Marquez landed so frequently on him. Pacquaio would then get reckless and try to stand and trade with him and may have some success with this but he would take some big shots, and leads to him getting stopped.
masterold is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Floyd beats him, Arguello could never handle movement.

Pac, less sure but think if Pac can handle Cotto at 145 he can handle Arguello too.
riggers is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterold View Post
How does he do against these guys at super feather?
Hard to call the AA-FM fight, could go either way.... I think AA brutally KO`s MP tho, he isnt elusive enough & Alexis hit too hard for him.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I favour both to beat him, floyd has the movement and defense to outbox him to a UD.

Pacquaio has the same combintion of fast hands, combiations and quick feet Pryor had and is a straighter puncher. Then again Arguello would almost certainly time Pacquaio with right hands, which Pacquaio is very open to but I just see Pacquaio landing more and doing more damage and winning more rounds
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggers View Post
Floyd beats him, Arguello could never handle movement.
This stereotype is largely based on the ten round MD upset by Vilomar Fernandez in 1978, but a majority decision is a fair reflection of how competitive Arguello was even in that defeat, and Alex handled Fernandez easily in their 1983 rematch. Vilomar failed to sustain his movement template for 15 rounds against Duran and Kenty, and never won over a distance longer than ten rounds. (He was robbed over 12 against Howard Davis, Jr., but atypically spent that fight in aggressive attack mode.) Everybody else who tried to beat Arguello by using movement got stopped, usually in the middle rounds.

Alexis aimed for the sternum, and had a murderous body attack. His jab was a hurtful offensive weapon. (Mancini graphically described what a miserable experience taking on Arguello could be.) Over 15, he'd be too much for Floyd.
Quote:
Pac, less sure but think if Pac can handle Cotto at 145 he can handle Arguello too.
This is where Arguello's body attack pays huge dividends. He definitely stops Manny at 130. (Alexis is my top man at 130. As always, I only consider competition over the championship distance, rather than ten or 12 rounds.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
kidargentine
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Huge Arguello fan but I'd favor both to beat him.

I think Pac's pressure and Chin maybe a little too much and the match might go the way of Arguello-Pryor I a slugfest with Arguello in the bad end of the stick.

Floyd's movement might be too much and frustrate him to a UD or a late RD TKO.
kidargentine is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

Over 12 rounds PBF MIGHT get a points win. However, when we talk about this no one ever mentions the idea that Alexis would be well aware of how many rounds went by, and how many were left. He might just pick up the pace and jump into attack mode earlier than he would in a 15 rounder. At any point if AA backed PBF into a corner the way Oscar did, Floyd's zero is history. Still, all in all, I'd tend to favor PBF in a 12 rounder, and Alexis over 15 rounds.

Pacman gets slaughtered at 130, and the number of rounds doesn't matter. Arguello would have Pac all figured out in the first 5-6 rounds. And once AA figured a guy out, the end was near.

Ya all musta forgot!
-
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MskyGZGLQMI[/ame]
booradley is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
ricardoparker93
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 5403

Floyd descisions arguello over 12 and the Pac fight is a toss up IMO. Pacquiao thrives against guys with slow footwork which was Arguello's only fault really; in and out movement could really throw him off.

That being said he could also KO both.
ricardoparker93 is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3689

I'd pick Floyd to win an unpopular, but quite likely deserved decision over Arguello, due to having the speed to beat Arguello to the punch on most occasions, enough power to keep him from advancing unchecked, the defensive abilty needed to limit the Thin Man to landing a single shot at a time, and the toughness needed to absorb those single shots and return fire.

Arguello keeps this close with his jab, aggression and tenacity, but mor often than not, I think Floyd edges him, regardless of the fight's distance.

But I think that Arguello would probably manage to stop a version of Pacquiao in the later rounds, by virtue of the fact that Pac didn't really utilise the same amount of side-to-side movement that he used later on in his careeer, and tended to move back and forth in straight lines. I think Arguello, after falling behind, softens him up to the body, and gradually finds the distance needed to score a sensational KO in round 8 or so.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Arguello ko Pac in a great fight where both could hit the canvas.

Floyd either decisions Alexis or stops him late. Floyd would be too fast and have too much skill. Also Floyd was a good puncher at 130 and could likely have put enough punches together to put AA on queer street and force the ref to stop it.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Sledge View Post
Floyd either decisions Alexis or stops him late. Floyd would be too fast and have too much skill. Also Floyd was a good puncher at 130 and could likely have put enough punches together to put AA on queer street and force the ref to stop it.
Perhaps, if you think Arguello is on the same level as a past prime Genaro Hernandez. Otherwise, not a snowball's chance in hell.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum