Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Butch Coolidge
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: surrounded by stupid rednecks
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 1000
Default Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

I do not see Evander winning this one. Poor Holy is getting to the point where he needs Sancho Panza in his corner. Holy has looked good against C and D level opponents but against the A and B level opponents he lost and I think this time EH will really get his butt kicked.

Guess will find out for sure in another week or two.

Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Agreed.

Ibragimov is far better than old punching bag, Lou Savarese. My feeling is that Sultan will be more aggressive in this fight, ala his performance against Whitaker, swarming old Holyfield, who at this point in his career is really little threat to ko anyone.

This could be a bad beating for Holy. I'm guessing Ibragimov overwhelms him and gets a stoppage around round 8 or 9.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

My head says Sultan Ibragimov, but my heart says Evander Holyfield. I pick with my head 99.9 percent of the time, but I'm going to pick with my heart here...

Evander by UD
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Quote:
My head says Sultan Ibragimov, but my heart says Evander Holyfield. I pick with my head 99.9 percent of the time, but I'm going to pick with my heart here...

Evander by UD
In what scenario do you see this playing out?

Sultan sure isn't going to get outworked by Evander. Evander doesn't have the speed to land a lot punches anymore, doesn't have the range that bothers the 6' 2" Sultan, and doesn't have the power to test Sultan's sometimes suspect beard.

Holyfield basically has no advantages in this fight other than his name and the fact that he has a ton of experience and will.

I don't think those things will be enough against a southpaw swarmer with such a high output fighting on his home turf.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_augustus
In what scenario do you see this playing out?

Sultan sure isn't going to get outworked by Evander. Evander doesn't have the speed to land a lot punches anymore, doesn't have the range that bothers the 6' 2" Sultan, and doesn't have the power to test Sultan's sometimes suspect beard.

Holyfield basically has no advantages in this fight other than his name and the fact that he has a ton of experience and will.

I don't think those things will be enough against a southpaw swarmer with such a high output fighting on his home turf.
I might have to change my pick...I'm thinking about this, and other than the fact that Evander is on a mission and has a great deal of heart, it's tough to see him winning. One can dream though
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Quote:
I might have to change my pick...I'm thinking about this, and other than the fact that Evander is on a mission and has a great deal of heart, it's tough to see him winning. One can dream though
That's all well and good, and Evander was a great champ, but his time is gone. Ibragimov is a far different animal from a tentative Fres Oquendo, a club fighter Vinny Maddalone, and a 42 year old punching bag Lou Savarese.

Gotta respect the heck out of Evander, but all logic says he's in for a beating in this one.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_augustus
That's all well and good, and Evander was a great champ, but his time is gone. Ibragimov is a far different animal from a tentative Fres Oquendo, a club fighter Vinny Maddalone, and a 42 year old punching bag Lou Savarese.

Gotta respect the heck out of Evander, but all logic says he's in for a beating in this one.
You bring up some good points. You can argue an Ibragimov win better than I can for a Holyfield win...

I'm going to use my head on this one - I'll be picking Ibragimov on the prediction threads
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Quote:
You bring up some good points. You can argue an Ibragimov win better than I can for a Holyfield win...

I'm going to use my head on this one - I'll be picking Ibragimov on the prediction threads
Now watch Holy ko him in one and make me look like a complete dufus.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Hoyfield might shock the world again as he has before in the past, but I really dont see him winning this match unless he catches Iggys on the chin with a signature left hook. Im predicting Iggy to win by UD, but if Holyfield won it would help bring some attention to dying heavywieght division.
box03 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
Butch Coolidge
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: surrounded by stupid rednecks
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Ibragimov actually has a solid chin. I saw him take a huge right hand from Briggs and a monsterous left hook from sparring partner Corey Sanders so he can take one or two of Evander's best punches, most likely, and I don't think EH has enough left in him physically to land combination after combination to wear this guy down like how Holy KOed his opponents in his prime.

Savarese and Bates actually landed some solid shots on Holyfield. Ibragimov's offense is going to be a notch or two above that. He'll hit Holyfield harder and more frequently.

Plus Ibragimov's style just seems like a style that Holyfield has difficulty with eg lefthanders like Michael Moorer and Chris Byrd provided a few humbling moments for the Real Deal.

I don't see this fight going the distance and I don't see Holyfield winning either.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #11
Shotgun
Who Nex?
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: spinning like a tornado
Posts: 867
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Ibragimov is going to beat Holyfield up badly for either a shutout-type UD or a TKO
Shotgun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #12
Shpion
IDF
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,343
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Even though I would love for Holy to win as he is one of my all time favorite fighters, he will probably get dominated by Ibragimov. Just like he did last time he met a credible opponent - Donald.
Shpion is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 AM   #13
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Quote:
Ibragimov actually has a solid chin. I saw him take a huge right hand from Briggs and a monsterous left hook from sparring partner Corey Sanders so he can take one or two of Evander's best punches, most likely, and I don't think EH has enough left in him physically to land combination after combination to wear this guy down like how Holy KOed his opponents in his prime.
Sultan definitely has a solid chin, but he was also dropped by Whitaker, Ahunanya, and Austin, although he popped right up each time.

Holyfield does not have enough to stop Sultan at this point. No way.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #14
Butch Coolidge
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: surrounded by stupid rednecks
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Donald, Byrd and Toney were decent enough opposition but none of them have the kind of arsenal Ibragimov is bringing with him. The leather is going to be flying at Holy from all directions.

Oquendo is below SI's ability and he still managed to have a good fight vs Holyfield.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #15
BoxingGuru
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rehabin' Peter-Ites for decades.
Posts: 2,233
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

Complete lopsided UD for Ibragimov, and once again all the morons will give Holyfield another title shot after he beats a few top 100 fighters.
BoxingGuru is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013