Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #16
Rollo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

My head says Sultan, my heart too. I never liked holyfield, but I certainly do respect him, and I wouldn´t be surpriced at all if he proves both my head and heart wrong once again.
Rollo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2007, 05:57 AM   #17
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

If you're picking Sultan do it on the basis of him being the younger, quicker fighter and not because he's some great talent. Let's not forget that this is the same guy who drew with Ray Austin. Everytime we doubt Evander Holyfield he does something incredible and he's definitely got the doubters against him here (and rightly so). I just don't think the fight that everyone is expecting (a wide Ibragimov UD) is what we're gonna get. I'm eerily confident going into this fight and I don't know why. You can say that I'm thinking more with my heart and as a Holyfield fan but I just don't feel that this is the mismatch everyone claims it is. Of the 4 titlists this is the first one I would pick for Holy to go for.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #18
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I guess that Quixotic trick can only favor Evander - if he was to defend something he was holding against one live underdog, he could fail big time, happens that he has a real threat to his short future and boxing career and that usually has the old timer pumped up to achieve near impossible tasks as this one appears to be...
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #19
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Holy by decision.

It'll be a very competitive fight that will probably seen Holy decked at least once, but I don't think Ibrag can finish him.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #20
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

The last word...

Don't write Holyfield off...
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #21
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
EXACTLY! Ray Austin!

Klitschko was able to KO Austin in the 2nd round, and Klitschko fought the ENTIRE 2 ROUNDS with ONE HAND!

That should give an idea of the difference in talent between Wlad and Sultan. So I don't put Sultan that far, if ANY ahead of Holyfield. This is a pickem fight for me. But the heart goes to Holyfield.
I think it's dangerous to compare resumes without any contextuality.

The Ibragimov that fought Austin was 10 or 12 pounds overweight and didn't have the stamina to sustain attacks that he does at 218-220. He was also a bit perplexed by Austin's range and long jab when Austin stayed at range.

The conditioning thing was Sultan's fault, but there is clearly no question that he's a far better fighter when at his proper weight.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #22
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_augustus
I think it's dangerous to compare resumes without any contextuality.

The Ibragimov that fought Austin was 10 or 12 pounds overweight and didn't have the stamina to sustain attacks that he does at 218-220. He was also a bit perplexed by Austin's range and long jab when Austin stayed at range.

The conditioning thing was Sultan's fault, but there is clearly no question that he's a far better fighter when at his proper weight.
Ibragimov almost had Austin out in the first round if I remember correctly. I thought Ibragimov deserved a close win over Austin because he fought with more effective aggression than Austin. The things that bothered me in that fight about Ibragimov are that Ibragimov was really out of shape and that he appeared to know how to fight while being out of shape. The Austin fight wasn't a typical fight for Ibragimov, no body punching no swarming attacks. Hanging a pick on Ibragimov based on just this one fight is a huge mistake in my estimation.

At least with Holyfield I'm considering his fights against Oquendo, Donald, Byrd and Toney instead of just the one win over a brittle Lou Savarese. I don't think Holyfield will present much of a test for the current WBO champ. It will, however, provide him a huge paycheck and a good step towards another huge paycheck.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #23
IMTKO2005
Journeyman

Holy is an older fighter with less speed and stamina. One thing that might happen, is that Ibragimov will make some repeditive mistake that Holy will notice, and will work it like crazy. Holy counters good, and i think that if this goes all the way Holy might even take this on points. Im picking the real deal !
IMTKO2005 is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #24
RichDam
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Holyfield will find a way to win. Trust me.
RichDam is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #25
Armo_Ruski
best of da best
ESB Senior Member

this has the making for one of those how did that happen??? im not talking about holyfield winning by heart or by a big punch.. if u know what i mean... would it take alot of money for ibragimov to take a dive? lol... if it is straight up no b.s. iggy will win by ud or by 8th rd tko
Armo_Ruski is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #26
24barrels

Holyfield has not beaten any top fighter since 2002. Ibragimov is younger, has better reflexes and will be more active. Ibragimov by UD or late TKO.
24barrels is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #27
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
My head says Sultan Ibragimov, but my heart says Evander Holyfield. I pick with my head 99.9 percent of the time, but I'm going to pick with my heart here...

Evander by UD

Exactly how I feel. Though I'm not making the final pick until it's in our PREDICTION League.

I cant believe I feel that way either I admit that after Donald, I didnt want to see him keep fighting. But he's on a win streak, and damn if it wouldnt be nice to see him look good and win one more?

The dream would be that he'd retire afterwards. I'm not quite sure what it will take, to see Evander take that action. If there is too much will? Evanders got that! Hope he gets 1 MO and GETS OUT at least not fighting. He's had a pretty amazing career and was a LEGIT HW Champion. Instant HOF, always respected, hope he finds a way to use his will in a different way, hopefully in the sport.
C Money is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #28
badbone

vCash:

I would like to first off, I love this site!! Been visiting almost daily for a couple years now. Never really interested in posting--always reading, until now.

I am an Evander fan. I have been bias for sure on some of his fights. To see him fight for a title again does stir up the old feelings. I used to pay for every big fight. Last fight (Heavies) I felt had some teeth and excitment was the Lewis/Klitch. fight. Seems that I have not found a new Heavyweight fighter I truely like. I'm hoping old" Evander can give a show again. I'll always remember Big George saying during a fight "Someone throw in the towel" right before Evander kicked some butt. After the Toney fight I felt that it was over. But if what Evander said' that his shoulder was bad. (Always wondered why he didnt throw the combinations.) But if the left shoulder is good, Evander's best weapon, the double left hooks could do more damage to Sultan than alot of people think. Round nine I hope ?, after resting for a few rounds is my gut feeling.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #29
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
I might have to change my pick...I'm thinking about this, and other than the fact that Evander is on a mission and has a great deal of heart, it's tough to see him winning. One can dream though
If the fight goes the distance, Holyfield either gets blownout or the decision is close. Sorry, but at this point in their respective careers, Ibragimov is the far better boxer. No way does Holyfield win any decision that is remotely close in Moscow.

Ibrag UD/TKO, easy fight to call
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #30
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge
Ibragimov almost had Austin out in the first round if I remember correctly. I thought Ibragimov deserved a close win over Austin because he fought with more effective aggression than Austin. The things that bothered me in that fight about Ibragimov are that Ibragimov was really out of shape and that he appeared to know how to fight while being out of shape. The Austin fight wasn't a typical fight for Ibragimov, no body punching no swarming attacks. Hanging a pick on Ibragimov based on just this one fight is a huge mistake in my estimation.

At least with Holyfield I'm considering his fights against Oquendo, Donald, Byrd and Toney instead of just the one win over a brittle Lou Savarese. I don't think Holyfield will present much of a test for the current WBO champ. It will, however, provide him a huge paycheck and a good step towards another huge paycheck.
Knowing how to fight when out of shape isn't exactly a science. The fighter just has to be more economical with his punches and try not to over-exert himself. Laying on the ropes and counter punching and tying the opponent up a little more than usual will help but in the end it just comes down to pacing yourself and alot of this depends on the opponent in front of you. Ray Austin isn't the type of guy who will force a frantic pace. Quite the contrary. If anything, Ibragimov was lucky he wasn't fighting a more active fighter that night because then he would have been in some real trouble.

I'm not entirely basing my pick of Holyfield on that fight either. Even in shape Ibragimov is a beatable fighter. He's a world champion, a good fighter with some decent names on his resume but I really believe that Holyfield can pull this one off and the manner in which he may do it could end up surprising alot of people.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum