Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #31
Butch Coolidge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holy-Ibragimov Coming Next

I don't see Ibragimov allowing Holy to throw the left hook. If Iggy keeps his right foot outside Holy's wheelhouse Holy won't get a chance to land his hook and the right jab and right hook from SI will eventually get EH out of there. Ibragimov showed some discipline in his fight vs Briggs by sticking to the fight plan and not giving Briggs, a counterpuncher himself, a chance to land much except an occasional jolting right hand. I know Ibragimov and Mayweather have been planning on this.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #32
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge
I don't see Ibragimov allowing Holy to throw the left hook. If Iggy keeps his right foot outside Holy's wheelhouse Holy won't get a chance to land his hook and the right jab and right hook from SI will eventually get EH out of there. Ibragimov showed some discipline in his fight vs Briggs by sticking to the fight plan and not giving Briggs, a counterpuncher himself, a chance to land much except an occasional jolting right hand. I know Ibragimov and Mayweather have been planning on this.
The left hook is what I was referring to with the surprise outcome. Evander's knocked down some solid-chinned dudes in his day. We'll see how Sultan deals with it.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #33
Butch Coolidge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
The left hook is what I was referring to with the surprise outcome. Evander's knocked down some solid-chinned dudes in his day. We'll see how Sultan deals with it.
He couldn't KO Savarese, he came close and Byrd, Donald, Oquendo and Toney managed to avoid it although shoulder problems could have contributed a little bit to that but I'm expecting Ibragimov to have prepared for Holy's left and his contraversial headbutt attack. Ibragimov mentioned those things in an interview. Also, IMO, Ibragimov is going to bring a more intense offense than; Byrd, Donald, Toney, Oquendo and Savarese. Since Savarese and even Jeremy Bates managed to land some hard punches on Holyfield I figure a hard punching southpaw will put some hurt on him big time--especially considering Holy has struggled against lefties in the past e.g. Byrd and Moorer.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #34
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge
He couldn't KO Savarese, he came close and Byrd, Donald, Oquendo and Toney managed to avoid it although shoulder problems could have contributed a little bit to that but I'm expecting Ibragimov to have prepared for Holy's left and his contraversial headbutt attack. Ibragimov mentioned those things in an interview. Also, IMO, Ibragimov is going to bring a more intense offense than; Byrd, Donald, Toney, Oquendo and Savarese. Since Savarese and even Jeremy Bates managed to land some hard punches on Holyfield I figure a hard punching southpaw will put some hurt on him big time--especially considering Holy has struggled against lefties in the past e.g. Byrd and Moorer.
We'll just have to wait and see. We can sit here and go point for point all we want but once they step into that ring our analysis becomes totally irrelevant. If you want to take what I'm saying as being an inability to counter your points then be my guest. I still stand by my pick. We're cool. No venom here. You make good points unlike alot of others.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #35
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

evan fields get's schooled, ibrag by wide ud
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #36
Butch Coolidge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
We'll just have to wait and see. We can sit here and go point for point all we want but once they step into that ring our analysis becomes totally irrelevant. If you want to take what I'm saying as being an inability to counter your points then be my guest. I still stand by my pick. We're cool. No venom here. You make good points unlike alot of others.
It's not like we've got anything better to do
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #37
madpup
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The fact that this fight is going ahead is a black mark for boxing. Whilst other divisions are hosting great fights, which are difficult to predict, we are getting this rubbish at heavyweight. Grandpa Holyfield did not deserve the world title fight and neither did Ibragimov, who lucked out and faced Briggs, who I am amazed even had the fitness to walk from the changing room to the ring.

Ibragimov will probably win, but so ****ing what, this will not help the popularity of boxing and most likely will not be a great fight. We need some big fights at Heavyweight...meaning the champions need to fight each other and or top contenders like Peter, not this ****ing shit.
madpup is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #38
LennoxGOAT
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As mentioned by Butch, I believe, Sultan has shown an ability to craft a gameplan and stick with it for an entire 12 rounds.

I don't see anything that suggests he will not be able to do the same or where Evander can get him out of it.

Sultan by a WIDE ud (regardless of the scores).
LennoxGOAT is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #39
Butch Coolidge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpup
The fact that this fight is going ahead is a black mark for boxing. Whilst other divisions are hosting great fights, which are difficult to predict, we are getting this rubbish at heavyweight. Grandpa Holyfield did not deserve the world title fight and neither did Ibragimov, who lucked out and faced Briggs, who I am amazed even had the fitness to walk from the changing room to the ring.

Ibragimov will probably win, but so ****ing what, this will not help the popularity of boxing and most likely will not be a great fight. We need some big fights at Heavyweight...meaning the champions need to fight each other and or top contenders like Peter, not this ****ing shit.
This fight may make more money than the original Chageav-Ibragimov contest simply because Holyfield is a known name to many outside of boxing fans. That's about all I can say positive for this bout.

Maybe Holyfield will make me eat my words by winning and making this an exciting fight but I obviously have my doubts about that scenario coming to fruition.

Last edited by Asterion; 07-18-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #40
hacim419
Journeyman

I'm picking Holyfield because let's face it, Ibragamov has beaten nobody of note to get where he is....Briggs? ,The Giant asthmatic loafer, Austin, a journeyman who somehow got a title shot (barely beating Owen Beck), Lance Whitaker (who couldn't even beat Savarese)...Holyfield has been in there with all time greats, and his recent opposition isn't actually much worse than Sultan's.
hacim419 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #41
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacim419
I'm picking Holyfield because let's face it, Ibragamov has beaten nobody of note to get where he is....Briggs? ,The Giant asthmatic loafer, Austin, a journeyman who somehow got a title shot (barely beating Owen Beck), Lance Whitaker (who couldn't even beat Savarese)...Holyfield has been in there with all time greats, and his recent opposition isn't actually much worse than Sultan's.
That's exactly why I'm picking Holyfield too. Listen, if this were happening several years ago, there would NO debate over who would win. Sure, Holyfield is WAY past his prime, but how good is Ibragimov really?? A guy who gets in a life and death struggle with utterly mediocre Ray Austin, and actually hits the deck against such a fighter may not be all that good. And Briggs?? Puh-leez. He's only about the worst linear champion of all time.

What makes this fight potentially competitive going in is the question of whether a substantially declined all-time great like Holyfield has enough left to beat a guy who may not really be that good to begin with. If Ibragimov is as mediocre as the Ray Austin fight indicates, and Holyfield has ANYTHING left, he will win, and shock the world.

Something tells me the old warrior is gonna pull it out.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #42
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He's only about the worst linear champion of all time.

What makes this fight potentially competitive going in is the question of whether a substantially declined all-time great like Holyfield has enough left to beat a guy who may not really be that good to begin with. If Ibragimov is as mediocre as the Ray Austin fight indicates, and Holyfield has ANYTHING left, he will win, and shock the world.

Something tells me the old warrior is gonna pull it out.
Poppy****. Olympic Silver Medalist, 21-0-1 as a pro. Ibragimov isn't Joe Louis, but he's an excellent fighter worthy of a belt.

Awkward, aggressive, volume punching southpaw with very fast hands and stinging power. Sure he's susceptible to right hands, but has never been stopped in his career.

Ibragimov has plenty of upside and is entertaining to watch.

Holyfield is old and hasn't beaten a quality fighter since Rahman in 2002.

Ibragimov is the clear to favorite to administer a beating here.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #43
EpsilonAxis
HNIC
ESB Addict

vCash: 2296

Holyfield will take this. I think he has looked great in his last few fights...

If he shows up like he did then...I take him over Iggy...who has a poor workrate and loops his punches a lot.
EpsilonAxis is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #44
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
who has a poor workrate and loops his punches a lot.
Absolutely does not have a poor workrate.

Granted against Briggs he took more of a countering style, his normal style is high volume output, something I think he will get back to against Holy since he doesn't have A. the range of Austin or B. the one punch threat of Briggs.

I suspect it will go more like the Whitaker fight, a swarming destruction of an old champion.

Oh, and yes he does sometimes loop his punches, but he's quick enough to reset fairly quickly and Holyfield isn't fast enough these days to take advantage.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #45
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingGuru
Complete lopsided UD for Ibragimov, and once again all the morons will give Holyfield another title shot after he beats a few top 100 fighters.
The worst thing would be if Ibragimov win's ugly. This would make a delusional Holyfield think he is close to winning a title and attempt another comeback.

The ref better be looking out for Holyfield in this fight. He could be in for a dangerous beating. Ibragimov is not walking stiff like Saveresse and hits much harder than James Toney.
Mendoza is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum